shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some car input--do you drive any of these vehicles?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
More power, generally, and yes, more zip. My husband likes that idea if it's an available option, as do I.

I like the idea, personally of the convex mirror, AND the little light warning system. I am just anal retentive that way.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
V6 lowers mpg. I actually wanted a 4 cylinder because I am not planning on towing anything and love visiting the gas station less. To think I used to own a v8. I got 15 mpg :roll:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, thanks, ame and Tacori. I figured it lowered the mpg, which I'm not crazy about. I hope you find something soon, ame. We'll need new cars within a few years, and I like reading everyone's opinions about what they chose.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
So Tuesday and Last Night we did the Toyota Rav4 which DH was really impressed with, he's a Toyota lover so he's already in favor of that one, and then went and redrove the Ford Escape, and then went to drive the Forester and Outback at the Subaru store, since I know it has all the stuff I want on it (the Forester doesn't but DH likes that a lot).

I liked the Rav4, though I didn't love it. I can't find enough information on some of their safety features to know what they do to confirm if that's what I want. Like "smart stop". I can find NOTHING about that. Just that it exists. And the dealership was entirely useless, no one knew anything about it. It didn't have the zip I was expecting--it drove a lot like the CRV. When I tried to "gun it" on the highway, it just...didn't quite go like I expected. And the "ECO MODE" kept going on and off a lot on it's own, which I can't tell if that's normal or a problematic unit. But it was distracting and annoying. What I DID like about it was the size of the side mirrors--they are MASSIVE. Like...insane. But the visibility out the back window and the side windows I felt was kind of crappy, and you end up being too reliant on the mirrors and blind-spot monitoring.

The Ford Escape Titanium was a real letdown on the 2nd drive. For being IDENTICAL mechanically and in options to the first car (we went to a different dealer this time), this felt COMPLETELY different, and drove totally different. It was literally spec for spec the same car, but it felt smaller to him than the first time he was in it, and the drive was totally different. This had no zip and was like pulling teeth to "gun it". I was disappointed by that and we noticed it guzzled fuel trying to gun it. Besides that, the radio is idiotic. Changing stations on the screen is not easily done, and you couldn't really check out the sync system or navigation because nothing is activated besides the trial sirius.

One thing that bothers me about these things across all the dealers is that no one has a full on active unit of these consoles for me to see all the gizmos in action. I want to know how Sync fully works. I want to know how the GMC one works. I want to know how the Subaru and Mazda ones work. Why do you not have sometihng active in your showroom at least, if not your demo drivable cars?

Anyway...we liked the Outback a lot. I liked the Forester a ton too, but it doesn't have Blindspot monitoring which is a non-negotiable for me. My non-negotiables are pretty much every possible safety thing and lots of bells and whistles. Since I am spending a pretty penny on this stuff! But the Outback has all of it. I am having superficial nonsense about the outback being a station wagon, but its almost the same height as the other cars we're strongly considering. In fact, I looked at the measurements between the Outback and the Subaru and the Toyota, and my old Rogue for comparison:

Heights:
The Subaru Outback is 66.1 inches tall (with roof rails)
The Mazda is 67.3" tall including the antenna (no roof rails included in measurements)
The Toyota height is 67.1 with roof rails.
For comparison sake, the Rogue was: 66.3 in"

They're the same width (72.4-72.6")
For comparison sake, the Rogue was 70.9"

Ground clearance:
Subaru is 8.7"
Mazda is 8.5"
Toyota is 6.3"
For Comparison Sake, the Rogue: 8.3 in.

The interior dimensions:
-Subaru: Headroom 40.8 inches/38.9 inches
(with moonroof: 38.3 inches/38.9 inches)
-Mazda headroom: 40.1" or 39.0 with moonroof
-Toyota headroom: 38.9 with moonroof (no non-moonroof number given)
-For Comparison sake, the Rogue: 40.4 (only number given)

Legroom: (front/ rear)
Subaru: 42.9 inches/38.1 inches
Mazda: 41.0/39.3
Toyota: 42.6/37.2
For Comparison, Rogue: 42.5/35.3

Passenger volume:
Subaru 108.1 cubic feet (with available moonroof: 104.5 cubic feet)
Mazda: 103.8 w/out moonroof, 102.3 with moonroof
Toyota: None given

Cargo volume:
-Subaru: 35.5 cubic feet
Maximum cargo volume: 73.3 cubic feet with rear seat lowered

-Mazda: 34.1,
Maximum cargo volume with rear seat lowered: 65.4

-Toyota: none given... but it was decent sized and the seats fold flat. So I'd wager around the same as Mazda.

--For Comparison, Rogue: 28.9 cu.ft. with seats up
Maximum cargo volume with seats down, 57.9 cu.ft.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's also my experience driving a 4 cylinder Rav4. Step on the gas, especially merging on the highway, and nothing happens. The motor just revs and makes all sorts of odd noises but doesn't accelerate. It used to come in 6 cylinder model, which was much zippier, but they discontinued it couple of years ago. Blind spot was an issue for me too.

The ECO mode is just Toyota's way to show you when you're driving in gas saving mode. It comes on and off as you accelerate/decelerate. It'll be off as you speed up from start but then usually stays on as you're driving at a steady speed because that's the optimal gas usage. It takes some getting used to but I like feedback on my gas use.

Was your DH able to fit in Outback? Mine is 6'3" and his head was hitting the ceiling in Outback but not Forester without moonroof.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1411659657|3756863 said:
That's also my experience driving a 4 cylinder Rav4. Step on the gas, especially merging on the highway, and nothing happens. The motor just revs and makes all sorts of odd noises but doesn't accelerate. It used to come in 6 cylinder model, which was much zippier, but they discontinued it couple of years ago. Blind spot was an issue for me too.

The ECO mode is just Toyota's way to show you when you're driving in gas saving mode. It comes on and off as you accelerate/decelerate. It'll be off as you speed up from start but then usually stays on as you're driving at a steady speed because that's the optimal gas usage. It takes some getting used to but I like feedback on my gas use.

Was your DH able to fit in Outback? Mine is 6'3" and his head was hitting the ceiling in Outback but not Forester without moonroof.
Yes he actually fit just fine. He preferred the Forester to the Outback, but did fine in both. The numbers on paper actually surprise me, so they all do a better job handling the space than the Rogue did since he was always crammed in that thing. I think he felt the best in the Rav4 of those listings, from what he said, but the car with the most space inside was the GMC Terrain, which we eliminated bec it was insanely overpriced by comparison and didn't have one of the safety features I required on any trim level, including Denali. He said he could move his seat UP he had so much space.

I did not like the Eco thing, I get the point but the flashing on and off is distracting! But you said exactly what I experienced...it doesn't MOVE when you gun it on the highway. I can't deal with that. I have a lead foot ;-)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1411663380|3756913 said:

Yes he actually fit just fine. He preferred the Forester to the Outback, but did fine in both. The numbers on paper actually surprise me, so they all do a better job handling the space than the Rogue did since he was always crammed in that thing. I think he felt the best in the Rav4 of those listings, from what he said, but the car with the most space inside was the GMC Terrain, which we eliminated bec it was insanely overpriced by comparison and didn't have one of the safety features I required on any trim level, including Denali. He said he could move his seat UP he had so much space.

I did not like the Eco thing, I get the point but the flashing on and off is distracting! But you said exactly what I experienced...it doesn't MOVE when you gun it on the highway. I can't deal with that. I have a lead foot ;-)
Yes, I was pretty disappointed in Rav4 because all of my other Toyotas have been great cars.

So has Outback moved up to top spot now? We liked that car except that DH couldn't fit into it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1411665785|3756928 said:
ame|1411663380|3756913 said:

Yes, I was pretty disappointed in Rav4 because all of my other Toyotas have been great cars.

So has Outback moved up to top spot now? We liked that car except that DH couldn't fit into it.
I think so. We are going to hopefully discuss it all this weekend.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Just got my 2015 Mazda CX5 touring last month if that's on your list. On paper I was gonna go with Subaru but after test drive them I felt CX5 is more of my style and I really enjoy it so far.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ame, how was the trunk space in the Forrester?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1411766190|3757561 said:
Excellent. We felt it was significant. The Mazda, etc, "feel" taller but on paper they're all pretty much identical. Down to like 1-2 inches.

We've seen TONS of the Mazdas around, two of our neighbors just got them. I did tell Dh I think he should drive them both but he said it's my car, his opinions really aren't as vital.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1411769939|3757580 said:
Zoe|1411766190|3757561 said:
Excellent. We felt it was significant. The Mazda, etc, "feel" taller but on paper they're all pretty much identical. Down to like 1-2 inches.

We've seen TONS of the Mazdas around, two of our neighbors just got them. I did tell Dh I think he should drive them both but he said it's my car, his opinions really aren't as vital.

Oh good. I've always wondered that. It seems narrow to me just looking at the car, but I've never taken a close look. I've been browsing for a while now, and it's funny how many cars of a certain brand/type I tend to notice more than others while I'm out. If I'm looking at Rav4s, that's all I see, until I move on to Outbacks.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The TOTAL cargo space on the Subarus was significantly bigger (as in with the back seats folded down), and a little bit bigger otherwise. But when you look in it seems to your eye smaller. The perceived lower height (they're the same height within 1-2 inches) tricks your eye.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My father's Rav4 turns on a dime and has things he really loves about it. That being said it is a complete dog on the open road or going fast on highways and as you have possibly discovered, if you want to kick it up a gear and overtake or take off at the lights - this isn't the car for you!!!!

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a Subaru Forester this week, and I think the reason I enjoyed driving it the most out of the other small SVUs (Rogue, CRV, Rav4, Escape) was how open it felt. I wanted to love the Rogue since we have a good relationship with a Nissan dealership, but I felt like a was trapped in a box and the visibility was low. The Forester feels wide open and I can see out of all the windows easily with a quick glance or my peripheral vision.

I've enjoyed riding in a friend's CRV and another friend's Rav4 and almost bought a Mazda CX-5 last year, but I waited a year and then chose the Forester this time around. I didn't even go around shopping and comparing again because I liked the Forester the best on paper, drove it and enjoyed it, and just went with it. I love it so far, but obviously don't have a lot of experience with it! I hear Subaru owners are loyal and use their vehicles for a looooong time, so that's good :)

You have a variety of sizes on your list, and I haven't read the whole thread to know if you've narrowed it down, but you'll definitely want to choose the size I think and go from there. Gas mileage (and $) was important to me, so I stayed with comparing the smaller SVUs and never looked at highlander, edge, murano, etc. Plus, I had just moved back to the states from Japan and all the cars felt so big!

Good luck with your decision and getting the best deal possible!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1411827250|3757777 said:
The TOTAL cargo space on the Subarus was significantly bigger (as in with the back seats folded down), and a little bit bigger otherwise. But when you look in it seems to your eye smaller. The perceived lower height (they're the same height within 1-2 inches) tricks your eye.

Thanks, Ame!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
After walking out during a negotiation due to shadiness after initialling and shaking hands on a price, we were able to come to a deal on a brand new 2015 Subaru Outback limited. We had to order it, which is unfortunately the only option right now, at least with all the whistles and gizmos, but we got a great deal, and it will be to spec. But now I just have to wait because I wont have it til December :(( What's that, like 60-90 sleeps?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you decided on something!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love our Subarus. We've had 5 and every one of them was fun to drive and fit the bill for space. We recently sold our old Forester and bought the Crosstrek. Loved the Outback, too. I hope you enjoy yours.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results