shape
carat
color
clarity

Acceptable Color and Clarity of Rose Cut Diamonds

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
i have some general questions regarding the vintage rose cut diamond. hopefully some experts can chime in here and educate me :)

1. rose cut gems tend to shine from light reflecting off the facets rather than sparkle from light refracting inside the stone and you can see right through the diamond.
Does that mean interior flaws are more visible to the naked eye or less?
what's the minimum clarity one should look for when choosing a rose cut diamond so that it's eye clean (i.e. if you're looking for a round brilliant stick to VS1 or above unless the SI2 is eye clean)?

2. Since there's no refraction from inside the stone, does this mean the diamond will look darker than it is or lighter?
what's a rule of thumb minimum Color you should stay above? H, I?

3. Since rose cuts don't refract light, i've read that some jewelers would put a reflective metal backing at the bottom so it helps refract light. but i've also been told to not do it as it's very difficult to clean if dust gets in between the diamond and the backing.
when should you use a metal backing? when the diamond is small, large, both, or never?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dawnxcui,

Excellent questions! As they are more technical and deal with diamond optical performance, you may want to re-post them in the Rocky Talky forum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results