shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab newbie!

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I'm doing my research to figure out what stone I might like for my engagement ring.. I know I want a diamond, I want something relatively sizeable (around 1.2ish cts), and ideally I'd like to keep the stone budget below $6k. In Australia, this isn't achievable. Online, it looks like I'd need to restrict my search to J/K diamonds. However, the more I look, the more I'd like something whiter - which brings me to the MMD forum. After a quick search on the D NEA website, it seems something around the 1.2 H(ish!) mark is achievable for my budget.. But I'm wondering how these stones perform compared to mined stones? I suppose after spending time on sites like whiteflash, and being able to look at idealscopes/ aset images, AGS / GIA certs, I feel that buying lab diamonds may be a little riskier without being to view the stone in person.

I did notice that D NEA have given some of their diamonds an AGS cut grade estimate - could I assume that in terms of light return and performance, these 'AGS ideal' stones would compared to mined stones of the same grade? Does anyone know if D NEA or Gemesis ever do ASETs or idealscopes?

Any opinions or thoughts are welcomed. Lab diamonds aren't big here in Aus (to my knowledge!), so I'd love any feedback from you lovely folk!

Thanks,
Adele

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Adele,

Yes, AUD6,000 is realistic for a lab-grown diamond around 1.2ct and G-H-I color. There aren't any duties on loose diamonds or finished jewelry (AUSFTA), but customs will charge GST.

The only real difference between grown and mined diamonds is the origin. Two diamonds with identical cut specs will look and perform exactly the same. The main difference is that AGS does not offer reports for grown diamonds and GIA does not offer a specific color or clarity, so most grown diamonds have reports from IGI or EGL USA. The reported cut angles and percentages are objective though, so all the same tools (ASET/Idealscope), charts and grading systems can be applied to grown white/colorless diamonds.

AGS publishes their full methodology, so while we cannot offer an AGS report, we can evaluate the diamonds and provide estimated AGS cut grades based on their appropriate data and requirements. We feel this is the most strict and reliable grade to use, rather than varying systems from GIA, IGI, EGL, HCA, AGA or some other made-up "black box" cut grade.

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the informative reply!

Whilst I understand that angles / measurements provided on the certificates are an objective measure, I'm still reluctant to consider MMDs unless I could also see evidence of excellent light performance through an idealscope / ASET image prior to purchase.. I assume this is wishful thinking??

Any extra advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results