It's all about that bass

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is my current favorite song. :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
great song.

depressing to think that Ms Marilyn Monroe would now be considered "fat"......sigh.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it, Kenny! Thanks for sharing!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1411682745|3757044 said:
great song.

depressing to think that Ms Marilyn Monroe would now be considered "fat"......sigh.
That was before vanity sizing. I don't think she would be considered fat.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I love it too. So catchy!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adorable. I'd heard it on the radio (my daughter's in charge), but had no idea there was a video or that it was so cute. Frankly, I had no idea what the song meant or even what, exactly, she was singing! ;))

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I love it too! It is a current fave for my Zumba class. Very fun to dance to. :)

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
My two year loves it. He wants to watch the video as soon as he sees anyone with a computer he says, "bout the bass"

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked this song too. For about a day. It was catchy. Until I realized how terible in so many ways the song and video is.

1) White dancer grabs black dancer's butt.
2) Sings something about "skinny bitches." No need to to bash skinny women to make fat women feel better.
3) Large guy dancing? He needs a larger shirt. Putting someone in ill-fitting clothes out there for the world to see is not giving him dignity.
4) Song has clear influences of doo-wop and classic R&B, the style of the video (like the clothes they are wearing and other cues in the video) is mostly 60s influence, which is an uncomfortable reminder back to the day when white artists would cover a song that is doing well on the R&B chart, and then take it to the top of the pop chart. I think cultural appropriation is fine, but don't claim you're "bringing booty back" in the same breath.
5) Something "skinny bitches." I feel really uncomfortable with singing that line.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also don't like the message ... it's okay to be larger because boys like that.

Defining women/girls value by what boys like?
Just as bad as wanting to be thin because boys like that.

I didn't even notice people were of various races in the video.
Non issue.

If someone's large enough or their shirt is small enough for skin to be visible out the bottom ... that's not my style for me, but to each their own.

Overall the message that all women/girls don't have to be size 2 to be okay is a great message to be getting out there as often as possible and in as many cute catchy ways as possible.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this might be the most bullet-proof body-size message ...

Eat healthy and get exercise and accept whatever size that makes your body.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1411749839|3757395 said:
I liked this song too. For about a day. It was catchy. Until I realized how terible in so many ways the song and video is.

1) White dancer grabs black dancer's butt.
2) Sings something about "skinny bitches." No need to to bash skinny women to make fat women feel better.
3) Large guy dancing? He needs a larger shirt. Putting someone in ill-fitting clothes out there for the world to see is not giving him dignity.
4) Song has clear influences of doo-wop and classic R&B, the style of the video (like the clothes they are wearing and other cues in the video) is mostly 60s influence, which is an uncomfortable reminder back to the day when white artists would cover a song that is doing well on the R&B chart, and then take it to the top of the pop chart. I think cultural appropriation is fine, but don't claim you're "bringing booty back" in the same breath.
5) Something "skinny bitches." I feel really uncomfortable with singing that line.

I like the overall message of the song (that it's okay to not be a size 2), but agree that these types of things often do so the cost of others (in other words, bashing skinny women in the process of making larger women feel better about themselves). It's not unlike the "Real Women Have Curves" campaign (I think by Dove?) that implied that if you don't have curves, then you must not be a real woman (whatever the heck a "real" woman is….). I get the message, but it's too bad we can't just feel good in our own skin no matter what our size.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate the term skinny bitches for size 2 girls. Not a positive message. Why can't we just teach our girls to love their bodies regardless of what size they are. Bashing thin girls is just as bad as bashing heavier girls.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess I'm the only one so far who thinks this song is pretty annoying. As for the message - I guess it's ok but swings too much in the other direction - that's there's something wrong with being thin and being heavy is preferable.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel two ways about this.

On the one hand I think it is always good to dissect messages and and to evaluate what is actually being said. I agree that "skinny bitches" sends a bad message.

On the other hand, I know the song was written by a 20 year-old so I would prefer to criticize the song gently. I'd like to tell the songwriter it's adorable, BUT that she shouldn't call thinner women "skinny bitches". ;))

To be fair, there are thin dancers in the video and there are also phrases that say a woman is perfect whatever her own size. Contradictory things are said.

AGBF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1411758783|3757497 said:
I hate the term skinny bitches for size 2 girls. Not a positive message. Why can't we just teach our girls to love their bodies regardless of what size they are. Bashing thin girls is just as bad as bashing heavier girls.

I completely agree. It's not OK to denigrate anybody because of their weight or body type. Until that message becomes ingrained into everyone's psyche there will be eating disorders and poor body images for the rest of time. It's amazing how PC we are about so many issues yet (some people are) still so ignorant and clueless about this. Never OK to disparage others simply for their appearance.

And that term skinny bitches? It's a very offensive term IMO and I don't care if the singer is 20 years old. At that age she should know better. She was raised in a highly PC time and should be more sensitive to others who are not perfect especially because regardless of what she thinks she's not either. No one is and empathy is something they all need to learn a bit more about. ::)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kept hearing that song all summer, but honestly it's so over-sung and over-engineered that the only line I could understand was the title/chorus. I did some quick research though and it seems this girl has been writing songs for 10-12 years, hooked up with a big time songwriter and they concocted this ditty and are making a mint off it. Might have something to do with her tongue-in-cheek use of the term "skinny bitches" which is obviously meant to incite discussion and generate publicity. Clever, really.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1411786451|3757670 said:
On the other hand, I know the song was written by a 20 year-old

Aw geez Deb now I feel bad lol - I have a soft spot for that age group and my 22 year old son writes songs, so I guess I should have been a little kinder! I guess I'm just not into this type of music.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
never have been a size 2 and as such find the song refreshing in this day and age where fat and obese are tossed around about size 10 women. models are told they're fat at size 4!

that it should provoke discussion and thought....and perhaps even acceptance....that women come in all sizes and that it is ok to be that size 10 or larger, well, it is over due and surprising it comes from a 20 year old.

does the guy's small shirt take away from the fact that he is a super dancer?
would the message have been better if a black person grabbed a white person's ass?

these types of questions can only be answered in the minds of those viewing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1411828302|3757785 said:
I kept hearing that song all summer, but honestly it's so over-sung and over-engineered that the only line I could understand was the title/chorus. I did some quick research though and it seems this girl has been writing songs for 10-12 years, hooked up with a big time songwriter and they concocted this ditty and are making a mint off it. Might have something to do with her tongue-in-cheek use of the term "skinny bitches" which is obviously meant to incite discussion and generate publicity. Clever, really.

My issue with this song is the artist using the term skinny bitches. Just like I don't care for other vulgar terms that some use to take the sting out of the words if you kwim. Tongue in cheek or not. It's not OK when men use the word bitch (or cunt to name a few) to refer to women (whether joking or not) and it's not OK from my perspective for women to use it either even if in jest because it perpetuates its use. Just as it's not OK to use the word n*****r. Whether black or white I find it offensive no matter the person using it though I understand there is a difference I still hate its use. I know both words can be used as a term of endearment but I find nothing endearing about either.

Sexist language demeans women (as racist language demeans minorities) and has the power to make women feel marginalized. Yeah words can hurt. That's never OK as I think sexist (and racist language) is oppressive no matter if it is tongue in cheek or not. Remember that saying that in every joke there is some truth? Well I feel continuing to use language like this perpetuates the original meaning behind these derogatory terms.

Of course YMMV but this is my perspective.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1411831786|3757800 said:

My issue with this song is the artist using the term skinny bitches. Just like I don't care for other vulgar terms that some use to take the sting out of the words if you kwim. Tongue in cheek or not. It's not OK when men use the word bitch (or cunt to name a few) to refer to women (whether joking or not) and it's not OK from my perspective for women to use it either even if in jest because it perpetuates its use. Just as it's not OK to use the word n*****r. Whether black or white I find it offensive no matter the person using it though I understand there is a difference I still hate its use. I know both words can be used as a term of endearment but I find nothing endearing about either.

Sexist language demeans women (as racist language demeans minorities) and has the power to make women feel marginalized. Yeah words can hurt. That's never OK as I think sexist (and racist language) is oppressive no matter if it is tongue in cheek or not. Remember that saying that in every joke there is some truth? Well I feel continuing to use language like this perpetuates the original meaning behind these derogatory terms.

I appreciate your POV. Again, I never even heard the line until this thread was posted and I watched the video. I don't pay that much attention to bubble gum pop music lyrics because typically they're super weak. With this song, its intended market probably isn't anyone over 15, and those kids are trying on different vernaculars and terms and pushing their parents' boundaries, etc. I hate to get all Tipper Gore on a 23 year old because she used the word bitch whether it appeals to me or not. Kids grow up, they stop using language that is not acceptable in everyday life, the end. I can't really sit around analyzing the lyrics of songs that are meant for a completely different audience these days. Too old, too fat. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1411832426|3757805 said:
missy|1411831786|3757800 said:

I appreciate your POV. Again, I never even heard the line until this thread was posted and I watched the video. I don't pay that much attention to bubble gum pop music lyrics because typically they're super weak. With this song, its intended market probably isn't anyone over 15, and those kids are trying on different vernaculars and terms and pushing their parents' boundaries, etc. I hate to get all Tipper Gore on a 23 year old because she used the word bitch whether it appeals to me or not. Kids grow up, they stop using language that is not acceptable in everyday life, the end. I can't really sit around analyzing the lyrics of songs that are meant for a completely different audience these days. Too old, too fat. :lol:

Haha, I hear you. Me too. Too old and too tired and some days (and this is one of them) I just feel like giving up and throwing in the proverbial towel. On all fronts if you kwim.
ETA: I never heard the song either before this thread. And I agree that the lyrics are super weak. Does it make me super old to reminisce about the 70's and truly good music? :cheeky: :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fan of women calling other women bitches either…it really bothers me…life is hard enough, let's not call each other names!

This has made me think back to my daughter's teen-age years - she's 25 now - She was one of those teen-agers who cared so much about what her peers thought of her it influenced how she felt about herself, and unfortunately I think she became a bit obsessed with her appearance and weight. I tried very hard to be supportive and tell her that she looked great (and she did) but I was her mother, what did I know lol. I would pray to whatever deity might have been listening at the time to please, please not let her develop an eating disorder, and thankfully we avoided that issue. In hindsight, maybe a song like this would have comforted her a little, and at least given her something to think about. But it's hard to reach some teens when they're in the midst of that teen-age angst!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put me in the old group. I will be the first to admit that I'm over sensitive to the skinny bitch term. A couple close friends of mine will tease me and call me that and I HATE it. The whole emphasis our society puts on weight bothers me to no end. When I was much, much younger I suffered from an eating disorder. It was so hard and took a few years to overcome and it truly breaks my heart when I see or hear young girls going thru this. I know I was one of the lucky ones who was able to get healthy again. Self esteem and self acceptance plays such a huge role and I really feel if women helped each other instead of getting caught up in the petty jealousy that is all too common with girls today, the world would be a much better place. In the whole scheme of things what difference does it make what anyone weighs. Isn't being good, compassionate people what we should all be focusing on instead of a number on a scale. Okay, I promise to get off the soapbox now.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+1
Oldest trick in the book.
They say there's no bad publicity, only no publicity ... or something like that.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy--I miss 80's music. I'm stuck in a time warp I think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results