shape
carat
color
clarity

From purple rhapsody to black hole, a literal killer bezel

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
So, I went to get my wedding ring reset today. Here's the earlier thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/purple-rhapsody-sapphire-from-finewater.205095/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/purple-rhapsody-sapphire-from-finewater.205095/[/URL]

To recap the story, I took my wedding ring with a blue spinel to a jeweler in town, to have a purple sapphire from Finewater gems set in it. They asked me to come back later so they would have time to make an estimate. When I came back, they said they could not make the ring in the same design (which I loved) because the sapphire had a big belly, so they would have to make an enclosed bezel. (mental note: next time, take your gems and run) But they have a stellar reputation, I was there on my lunch break, I was impatient to have my beautiful sapphire set, so I trusted them.

Today when I saw the ring, all my worst fears were confirmed. To be fair, the craftmanship is impeccable. But the sapphire - a black hole. There really isn't anything else to say. They took my gorgeous, lively, lifetime gem and turned it into a black spinel with the setting. The comforting words the sales woman had for me when I exclaimed at the difference in how the sapphire looked now was that sapphires often look bad in jeweler store lighting....

Bezeling this sapphire may just have been the worst idea ever.There is no light left for the sapphire and the change is pretty dramatic. I wouldn't believe it, if I weren't seing it before my eyes. I'm kicking myself that I didn't question the sales woman more, when she said they couldn't make the half bezel design that the original ring had, or that I didn't just leave. Never again will I work with anyone except the designer, or the one making the actual ring. Lesson learned. ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( :knockout:

So, months of waiting and excitement turned into quite the expensive anticlimax. I'm disappointed. Out of pocket. And now I have to find another jeweler to make this right. Thanks for letting me vent.

blackhole.jpg

fwsapphire2_2.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Re: From purple rhapsody to black hole, a literal killer bez

MT, I'm so sorry you're so disappointed! A very sad shock for you. I can understand that the sapphire wouldn't fit in the same setting due to the pavilion, but not why, if they were making a new ring anyway, they couldn't make a half bezel to fit. I don't have bench experience but am scratching my head over that. On the other hand, in your photo, it doesn't look black, but I take your word that it does in low light. What a shame!

I wonder if another jeweler could simply re-make the bezel part -- if it's possible to remove the sapphire & just re-do the head a bit, to save you some expense. I hope it would make enough difference, though -- the sapphire is a little darker than your other stone & I'm wondering if it might need the light you'd get from a prong setting instead. Would you hate that?

--- Laurie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh no what a disappointment. :(sad

On a more positive note, I have to say that I can still see it's purple in the photo and I'm being honest when I say that. What I'm wondering is what the basket is like at the sides? I wonder if this could be rectified by piercing the basket (if it's an enclosed one) with a pretty filigree design that would suit the ring? I think, looking at your spinel original design, even that probably wouldn't allow sufficient light in to the gemstone for you to be happy. As it's a dark stone already I think I would be tempted not to bezel at all BUT I understand your reasons for doing so.

Is there any way they can amend it for you?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry, MT. My heart would drop at the sight of my stone no longer sparkling anymore too. :(sad Is there nothing else the jeweller can do to allow light into the spinel (cut an airline into the tube bezel)?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gosh I'm sorry.
I agree with the pp I can honestly see the purple in both photos, but I know that doesn't help much.

I've gotten a custom design from a local store with no refunds before that turned out just absolutely terrible. I walked into the store and expressed in point by point detail how they did not meet expectations and they did make an exception. I'd start there. its funny my resulting setting for that stone was a bezel too, which ruined the performance of that diamond. So believe me when I say my heart goes out to you!

As for your design, I absolutely adore it,but if you can't keep the bezel and they won't semi bezel ir would you consider prong setting the sapphire and bezel setting the sides? That's how I imagine one particular stone I have so I have a handful of inspiration photos if you'd like..... I even contacted David klass about making such a design. He said if I provided the stones the price would be very reasonable IMHO. So if they arable to refund you,there's a other option.

Try nor to get down to much. I'd start at the jewelers. Have an honest conversation about how much of a negative effect the setting had in the stone, see what they are willing to do.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Everyone <3

I knew you would understand.

Laurie - That is the upside of this, I realized I think I do need a prong setting anyway for this sapphire to shine. =) Somehow I think the disappointment this way, with an enclosed bezel was smaller, than it would have been with the original design which I loved so much. I don't understand why they couldn't make the half bezel, and I don't know if the sales woman did either. But the "middleman" communication was definitely a problem, not to be able to talk to the maker or designer. I won't be doing that again. It feels a little childish to be this disappointed, but I was expecting a lot.

LD - thanks so much! But you know, this is a time when the camera sees something that my eyes do not. To my eyes, the purple is not visible at armslength, it was astonishing to see it through the camera lense. Only when I'm at the window, does the purple shine as I remember it did before setting. It is a fully enclosed bezel, maybe filigree would help. But I do think you're right, a bezel, even a half one isn't right for this sapphire. I want to see the beautiful cut and allow for as much light as is possible.

It is a dark stone, I'm just realizing how dark, because while it was unset the sparkle brightened it up so much. And purple is the darkest color on the spectrum anyway. I'm having the feeling of not wanting to throw good money after bad in this case and think I will take the ring elsewhere.

Chrono - that's what I find so hard to understand, that the personnel at a professional jeweler with many many years of experience wouldn't notice that their setting makes the sapphire look bad. My heart literally dropped to my boots when I saw the ring. But there are so many different kinds of jewelers. I will take my money to someone who cares next time and see what can be done.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1411645995|3756763 said:
Gosh I'm sorry.
I agree with the pp I can honestly see the purple in both photos, but I know that doesn't help much.

I've gotten a custom design from a local store with no refunds before that turned out just absolutely terrible. I walked into the store and expressed in point by point detail how they did not meet expectations and they did make an exception. I'd start there. its funny my resulting setting for that stone was a bezel too, which ruined the performance of that diamond. So believe me when I say my heart goes out to you!

As for your design, I absolutely adore it,but if you can't keep the bezel and they won't semi bezel ir would you consider prong setting the sapphire and bezel setting the sides? That's how I imagine one particular stone I have so I have a handful of inspiration photos if you'd like..... I even contacted David klass about making such a design. He said if I provided the stones the price would be very reasonable IMHO. So if they arable to refund you,there's a other option.

Try nor to get down to much. I'd start at the jewelers. Have an honest conversation about how much of a negative effect the setting had in the stone, see what they are willing to do.

Hi Niel,

Thank you for you kindness. =) I admire you, for how you dealt with the custom design situation. Your comments make me think hard about going in and having this discussion. I will think about it. Part of the difficulty is the consumer culture in Finland, the level of customer service is very different here. I'm trying to figure out how much of this is my responsibility and what they could be held accountable for. But your compassion in this helps me lift my head and think about what's next.

I think prong setting is the way to go and to start from a blank slate, not get caught up in what was. That's something that feels easier now, so maybe this was a fruitful transition in that way.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mariedtiger|1411648824|3756776 said:
Gosh I'm sorry.

Hi Niel,

Thank you for you kindness. =) I admire you, for how you dealt with the custom design situation. Your comments make me think hard about going in and having this discussion. I will think about it. Part of the difficulty is the consumer culture in Finland, the level of customer service is very different here. I'm trying to figure out how much of this is my responsibility and what they could be held accountable for. But your compassion in this helps me lift my head and think about what's next.

I think prong setting is the way to go and to start from a blank slate, not get caught up in what was. That's something that feels easier now, so maybe this was a fruitful transition in that way.

Yeah admittedly I only have experience with work in america, so I don't know what the norm is. But worst thing that can happen is you go in there and they won't change anything for you, and then what? You haven't lost anything. I have seen jewelers that, when presented honestly and respectfully with the issue, they usually want to make it right. They like happy customers, usually.

And an expensive learning experience but a good one nonetheless. Imagine you'd just set it in prongs to begin with, you'd probably always wonder what it looks like in a bezel.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1411649337|3756779 said:
mariedtiger|1411648824|3756776 said:
Gosh I'm sorry.

Hi Niel,

Yeah admittedly I only have experience with work in america, so I don't know what the norm is. But worst thing that can happen is you go in there and they won't change anything for you, and then what? You haven't lost anything. I have seen jewelers that, when presented honestly and respectfully with the issue, they usually want to make it right. They like happy customers, usually.

And an expensive learning experience but a good one nonetheless. Imagine you'd just set it in prongs to begin with, you'd probably always wonder what it looks like in a bezel.

That's true, there is nothing to lose and people tend to surprise me in positive ways, when I give them the chance. And I agree about the prongs, I'm always a bit preferential to bezels, so seeing this one doesn't work for myself is good. Besides, the sun just peeked out and now there is some sparkle again.

This search for the right setting for a gem is a fascinating one. I've been lucky in so many projects, I guess it was time for one that doesn't go so smoothly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MT,
I am also very sorry for your disappointment. Can you please post a gallery side view of the ring, maybe some people can recommend other less expensive options for you, or show your jeweler where they went wrong.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aww MT- I'm so sorry the setting disappoint you so much. I love the design, but if it changes the look of a stone, then its completely all wrong. I've been there more times than I want remember. I hope they can remake into something else for you. I'm not understanding how they cannot turn this into a semi bezel? :?: like your first design...I really feel like it can be done of course I'm not a jeweler, but having done many semi bezels, if anything they can connect the bottom basket with a "ring" to hold structurally the semi bezel on the ends, so essentially it would look like a rounded "tension" setting with a ring/basket on the bottom... I"ve seen it, and if I can find a picture, I'll post it. In fact a couple of years ago, I went through with a CAD with David Klass on a similar look to yours, I hope I can dig it up.

ETA: so I can't find my CAD from DK but here is something I was thinking of... only yours would be full bezel on the side.

From Adwar. I just erased the semi bezel ends a bit to show more of what I was thinking and stretched it out for more of an oval shape.
http://adwar.com/products/styles/20485L/view

adwar1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

never ever be "impatient" to have a project completed and never ever plan to accomplish this type of decision-making on a lunch hour. yes, you should have trusted your gut and left.
a good reminder to us all.......

the pavilion on my spess is about as big as they get. the semi-bezel allows the light to go through.
I agree with the above poster who mentioned if they were having to remake the ring anyway, they should and could have remade it to your specifications if you were willing to accept perhaps a larger setting than the more delicate one you've ended up with.

I really am so very sorry this has happened this way. with more time and $ it can be rectified. I do hope you register your displeasure to the store manager and owner. at the end of the day, though, they proceeded with your permission.

dang it all. sometimes it just never is easy.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

MT, so sorry it turned out this way. For what it's worth, the stone is reading purple on my screen.
I hate that feeling when you go to pick up something or open the package and it's not only NOT what you wanted, it's downright yuck.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

TL,

Thank you. <3 Here are some more pictures.

_22685.jpg

_22686.jpg

_22687.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

DandT|1411658907|3756857 said:
aww MT- I'm so sorry the setting disappoint you so much. I love the design, but if it changes the look of a stone, then its completely all wrong. I've been there more times than I want remember. I hope they can remake into something else for you. I'm not understanding how they cannot turn this into a semi bezel? :?: like your first design...I really feel like it can be done of course I'm not a jeweler, but having done many semi bezels, if anything they can connect the bottom basket with a "ring" to hold structurally the semi bezel on the ends, so essentially it would look like a rounded "tension" setting with a ring/basket on the bottom... I"ve seen it, and if I can find a picture, I'll post it. In fact a couple of years ago, I went through with a CAD with David Klass on a similar look to yours, I hope I can dig it up.

ETA: so I can't find my CAD from DK but here is something I was thinking of... only yours would be full bezel on the side.

From Adwar. I just erased the semi bezel ends a bit to show more of what I was thinking and stretched it out for more of an oval shape.
http://adwar.com/products/styles/20485L/view

DandT, yeah, this sucks. But it helps being here, whining about it. :devil:

It's weird, I don't quite get why they felt they couldn't make the semi-bezel, since they made a whole new basket and they should have the skill. I'll have to go ask.

Thanks for the examples, =) I'll take them with me and will show them, if they are receptive.

oldbezel.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MT, I've never seen such an enclosed bezel. I would have thought that they might have had an opening here, as I'm depicting in the picture, and the one setting that DandT showed above. No wonder your poor stone looks so dark. When they were doing an enclosed bezel, I would have assumed some opening.

mt_ring.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

movie zombie|1411660449|3756872 said:
never ever be "impatient" to have a project completed and never ever plan to accomplish this type of decision-making on a lunch hour. yes, you should have trusted your gut and left.

the pavilion on my spess is about as big as they get. the semi-bezel allows the light to go through.
I agree with the above poster who mentioned if they were having to remake the ring anyway, they should and could have remade it to your specifications if you were willing to accept perhaps a larger setting than the more delicate one you've ended up with.

I really am so very sorry this has happened this way. with more time and $ it can be rectified. I do hope you register your displeasure to the store manager and owner. at the end of the day, though, they proceeded with your permission.

Ah, movie zombie. Hear hear. Exactly what I've been telling myself. Reading your post makes me feel better. Yeah I think they should have been able to do it, I posted a pic of the old bezel above, as they redid the whole thing, I can't figure out why they couldn't replicate the design, except that it was insanely well done. But I gave my permission to go ahead and that is my responsibility, as much as I'd like to be able to deny it.

Yes, this will be done better, either by them or someone else. And I'm feeling better now, because despite the downer, now I get to wear the sapphire and it has shown purple in different lighting conditions, more than I thought it ever would, even in this setting. Besides, there's something of marriage symbolism here - once you've seen someone at their worst and been able to accept them like that, the love grows ever so much stronger.

Yeah, easy and this planet don't match. But hey, it's an adventure. :loopy:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

texaskj - yes, that exact feeling. I get so tongue tied in those situations, I just want to leave, hide, take the poor thing out of there and collect my thoughts in peace.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

There is no reason they could not have bridged or carved or filigreed that bezel to allow light into the stone........and for cleaning purposes as well.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1411669950|3756950 said:
MT, I've never seen such an enclosed bezel. I would have thought that they might have had an opening here, as I'm depicting in the picture, and the one setting that DandT showed above. No wonder your poor stone looks so dark. When they were doing an enclosed bezel, I would have assumed some opening.

TL, for some reason this seems to be the number one favorite Finnish way of setting gemstones (at the jewelers that I have visited). Probably because a ring like this will last hundreds of years... I had the same problem with my very first wedding ring, with a tourmaline ring that I later had Sally reset, and now I'm here again. But I agree, at least some opening would have been a little better, which is why I told them to tell the bench person that they had free hands to tweak the design if the stone needed it.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

digdeep|1411670363|3756954 said:
There is no reason they could not have bridged or carved or filigreed that bezel to allow light into the stone........and for cleaning purposes as well.

That is what I'm thinking as well.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

mariedtiger|1411670123|3756951 said:
movie zombie|1411660449|3756872 said:

Ah, movie zombie. Hear hear. Exactly what I've been telling myself. Reading your post makes me feel better. Yeah I think they should have been able to do it, I posted a pic of the old bezel above, as they redid the whole thing, I can't figure out why they couldn't replicate the design, except that it was insanely well done. But I gave my permission to go ahead and that is my responsibility, as much as I'd like to be able to deny it.

Yes, this will be done better, either by them or someone else. And I'm feeling better now, because despite the downer, now I get to wear the sapphire and it has shown purple in different lighting conditions, more than I thought it ever would, even in this setting. Besides, there's something of marriage symbolism here - once you've seen someone at their worst and been able to accept them like that, the love grows ever so much stronger.

Yeah, easy and this planet don't match. But hey, it's an adventure. :loopy:

more words of great wisdom to remember! thank you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mariedtiger|1411670532|3756955 said:

TL, for some reason this seems to be the number one favorite Finnish way of setting gemstones

Although the aesthetics of the ring are very clean, modern and with minimal lines, it's just not feasible for a dark toned gem. I wish they would have realized this. Again, I'm very sorry. I hope they can make it right for you since you are a repeat client of theirs.

Even metal colors can ruin a beautiful gem. I have a beautiful orangy red spinel, it literally glows. I put it in white metal and it died. I had to take it out of there. You live and learn. Many of us have been where you're at.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1411671108|3756961 said:
mariedtiger|1411670532|3756955 said:

TL, for some reason this seems to be the number one favorite Finnish way of setting gemstones

Although the aesthetics of the ring are very clean, modern and with minimal lines, it's just not feasible for a dark toned gem. I wish they would have realized this. Again, I'm very sorry. I hope they can make it right for you since you are a repeat client of theirs.

Even metal colors can ruin a beautiful gem. I have a beautiful orangy red spinel, it literally glows. I put it in white metal and it died. I had to take it out of there. You live and learn. Many of us have been where you're at.

Thank you for saying that, TL, this is something an experienced jeweler should have caught (I should have realized it too). Luckily, this is another branch of the same family I've used before, not a store I've frequented, but one I wanted to try out to see if I would want to become a repeat customer. Well, the jury's still out on that one...

Yes, live and learn. I remember your spinel, glad you took it out of there. Some things just are best learned through trial and error, I guess.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So sorry to read your story...
I am sure though you will find a good solution.
In my screen the stone looks dark but not black at all. It'sa beautiful dark purple. I am glad you saw the beauty again in certain lighting.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mariedtiger - so sorry it didn't turn out right! It's such a lovely stone, I don't know how they couldn't notice what had happened. I hope you'll be able to find a good solution. I agree with other people that it is really bizarre that the bezel is so enclosed. That doesn't look like the work a good jeweler would do to set such a fine stone.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

"And I'm feeling better now, because despite the downer, now I get to wear the sapphire and it has shown purple in different lighting conditions, more than I thought it ever would, even in this setting. Besides, there's something of marriage symbolism here - once you've seen someone at their worst and been able to accept them like that, the love grows ever so much stronger."

Before my short reply previously--- I had written a long story similar to your statement above. I erased it because I thought I was swimming upstream.........but, you get to read it now:

I worked for a long time sourcing a light colored birthstone sapphire with provenance that matched me and the BIG birthday I had on the horizon at the time. I sketched out the design (a water theme--important for many reasons) and worked with the wax artist for the ring's carved design. I set the sapphire in the wax and was so excited about my special ring!! It was cast, set, and presented to me at the jeweler's store. I know my face showed my shock as the stone looked like a piece of 'ice'. I couldn't shake the thought of CrackerJack plastic ring's with huge fake 'stones' from my childhood.............it was an involuntary response. Everyone in the store thought it was beautiful...except me. I took it home with my embarrassment firmly in hand. After taking it out a few times I realized that it still sparkled, it still had it's chameleon color's, the design was what I wanted, and that the 'ice' I had seen the first day.......was just another form of the water theme I had chosen. Some time's it takes a while for the analogy/metaphor to show itself......or everyone else could see it but not me!! LOL!!

I appreciate your metaphor with marriage and after all the idea's and suggestions you have.......you can sit and see what really fits for you. Sometimes the journey starts when we get the stone, the setting, the ring, or the adventure that comes with all of the above. My best wishes to you on your journey........wherever it takes you.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So sorry Mariedtiger, but eager to hear what the jeweler says when you go back. I can't wait to see this beauty in a more open setting! I have often kicked myself for choosing my local jeweler for a project over Sally when I have been in a rush and tempted. Stock settings are one thing but custom jewelry is a whole different matter here!

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock

I always hope I will NOT love the stone or ring on first sight. I hope I like it, but I don' t want to love it. I find the things I love best, are the things I come to appreciate over time.

But then, sometimes, after one has gotten to know the thing better, one knows what needs to change. It's still a beautiful stone and beautiful setting. Give it time. You'll know what to do about finding them each a successful match.

Best,

Kim

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MT,
Just thinking of you and wondering what your plans are:
1. Are you going to talk to the shop again to see what they can do?
2. Or are you just going to go elsewhere to alter it into a semi-bezel?
3. Or are you leaving it as is (for now or permanently)?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results