shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion of a mint tourmaline

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
I am looking at this mint tourmaline from a vendor that I have seen recommended here. It is 1.09 carats, 6mm and vvs with no treatments, the rough is from Nigeria. It is priced at $350. What I am looking for is a cool refreshing gem that is green with a bit of a blue modifier and no yellow, I also want a precision cut which this is. What do you all think of this tourmaline? The first photo is in a studio and the second is in indirect sunlight.

_22680.jpg

_22681.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I like the handshot but I don't like the studio shot - 350 for a bit over 1 ct is not cheap but if your really want it be quick otherwise some here ( their are a lot of viewers!!) snap it!! Is it copper bearing?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The hand shot is a more reliable picture of what it looks like -- since the other one is a studio photo with special lighting, etc. I think it looks very nice. Love the color & the glow & it's nicely cut. If it's what you want, go for it. You might find another one cheaper but when? I'd pay that for it if it were just what I wanted.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be very honest - I love the stone and I think it meets your brief APART from the blue modifier. If you look at the handshot, the background is almost the same colour as the stone - this could be just coincidence and just the lighting the photo was taken in (I'm not suggesting any manipulation at all) BUT what I strongly suspect is that this may have a grey rather than blue modifier. If you like icy cool stones then I think it will be perfect for you but if you want something a bit warmer then it may not.

EDIT: I should add that I think it's fabulous value for money considering the wonderful cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask the vendor specifically whether the tourmaline has a blue modifier? From the diffused sunlight hand shot, my guess is that this is the very best the stone will look, so it is unlikely to look like this most of the time.

S

SparkliesLuver

LD said:
I'm going to be very honest - I love the stone and I think it meets your brief APART from the blue modifier. If you look at the handshot, the background is almost the same colour as the stone - this could be just coincidence and just the lighting the photo was taken in (I'm not suggesting any manipulation at all) BUT what I strongly suspect is that this may have a grey rather than blue modifier. If you like icy cool stones then I think it will be perfect for you but if you want something a bit warmer then it may not.

I agree with LD on the above comment. To my eye, it doesn't seem to have any blue, but mine are also novice eyes. If you think you might love it, then buy it and see it in-person. That's the only way to really know. But check the return policy first!

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, I have sent the vendor a bunch of questions, there is a bit of a time difference though so I might need to wait a little while. I havent yet gotten a response as to whether or not it has a blue modifier or not, to my eye as ony screen, it does appear to have a very slight one however it may not have one at all, I've asked to clear that up.
I do definitely want a cooler stone over a warmer stone. I also think the price is pretty reasonable because I really do love the cut and I am a huge fan of this guys work. I also have found it hard to find mint tourmalines that don't have a yellow modifier, I find they are a bit olive looking for my taste.

Do you guys have any idea how it may perform in lighting that is not diffused sunlight or studio lights? I have seen very few coloured stones in real life so I have little to go on. I would have a much better idea of what I would be getting if it was a diamond, I see hundreds of those a day. The cutter did say that this one does look much better in real life than in photos and from what I have seen he is very honest.

I've been with holding the cutters name so that nobody buys it from under me, once I have decided on this gem I'll give him credit where it is due.

Edited to add: I don't believe the hand shot has been altered, he took the photo and sent it to me very very shortly after I asked for it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect the color looks something like the paint swatch below IRL because in the second pic, the white balance looks like its adjusted for more blue, and in the first pic, you should never ever judge a stone, let alone a very pale or dark stone, against a black background, as it amps up the saturation to your eye.

15-paint-youngwheat-xlg_1_.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matt_95|1411647284|3756772 said:
Edited to add: I don't believe the hand shot has been altered, he took the photo and sent it to me very very shortly after I asked for it.

White balance can alter a photo instantly, so when you see white walls that look very bluish, or a sickly colored hand, or something odd in the photo as far as background color is concerned, I would be worried about the photo's accuracy.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good point about the white balance - I didn't think about the background, should have!

If you are in the States, you can order the stone & take a look at it in hand -- it would give you experience seeing a colored stone & give you an idea of how this vendor's pics match the real thing. I presume the return policy makes this possible if he's on our vendor list as you mentioned.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so you are aware, regular forumites will know where to find this stone because the photography is very distinctive! That's why I said I was sure the photography wasn't changed to deceive. However, I don't think the photographs represent the colour of the stone well (for all the reasons I stated above and have been expanded on by others).

If you are a fan of this person's work and you have a gut feel that this stone is what you want, then put it on a credit card and get it for a look. You will know as soon as you open the package whether it's for you or not. If it's not, then ship it back and you'll probably have your refund before your credit card is charged.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1411644510|3756757 said:

EDIT: I should add that I think it's fabulous value for money considering the wonderful cut.

I was going to say this exact thing. When everything in the pic is tinted on the cool side, the stone will be at its most similar color. In other words, if you can mimic a situation where you will have a very cool, bluish light like that, you will see the stone that color. What you want is to see the stone in various lighting situations to judge and you may have to do that part yourself.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I like it a lot and feel it's definitely worth seeing it in person, especially if you're a fan of rose gold, I think this stone would look excellent in rose gold.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL|1411651638|3756787 said:
I suspect the color looks something like the paint swatch below IRL because in the second pic, the white balance looks like its adjusted for more blue, and in the first pic, you should never ever judge a stone, let alone a very pale or dark stone, against a black background, as it amps up the saturation to your eye.
Ditto.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If you buy this, please let us know what it looks like in person. It is important for us to all learn how to read vendor's pictures.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the help everyone, it has no blue or grey modifier and is a pure minty green, which is fine by me. Apparently in real life it is slightly more saturated than the hand picture. I've paid for it now so I can let you know I got it from Clear cut gems, they currently have 25% off as well. I am very excited to get this one, I think it will be beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking forward to your review of the gem. There has been both positive and negative reviews with regards to his photography.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The cutting is awesome - hope the color too!!!

But you will show some pics....

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys, I will certainly post a review.

Does anyone have any setting ideas?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matt_95|1411789501|3757688 said:
Thanks guys, I will certainly post a review.

Does anyone have any setting ideas?

I would prong set it. Do not bezel, as they can easily chip tourmaline, and it's a small stone, so a bezel will also make it face up smaller. Since it's a light stone, a heavy gallery, may help bring out the facet pattern better.

I'm not sure if you're a lady or a gentleman, but I mentioned bezeling because men tend to like bezel set gentleman's rings.

This is an example of a heavy gallery around a light toned stone, with metal surrounding the gem, but not bezeling it. As you can see, the facet pattern is more exposed, and it looks bright in the metal. I would also do rose gold for your particular gem to bring out any touch of blue it might have. If you set it in white gold, it may look very washed out, and I don't think yellow gold will do as much for it as rose gold. I would not use platinum, as it's too hard a metal, and may damage the gem during the setting process. Tourmaline is a very "chippy" stone.

_22739.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it looks like that color. But I love that color so ... I'm no help

Now that the op paid for it which seller is this?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1411827833|3757782 said:
I agree it looks like that color. But I love that color so ... I'm no help

Now that the op paid for it which seller is this?

There's nothing wrong with loving that color, but Matt said he (or she??) didn't want any yellow in the gem, and I suspect there might be some.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
I am a guy, I was actually thinking a lapel pin for this one, I thought I had said that but it appears it slipped my mind. I am very open to suggestions but I will post my ideas. I was thinking I could set this in a halo setting since it is a fairly small gem and that would increase it's presence and make it stand out more than it would on it's own. I don't think a halo on a lapel pin would be feminine but I would love your opinions on that. I have only been able to find one image similar to what I was thinking, I've attached it below. I would be open to rose gold, Lloyd did say he thinks yellow gold would suit it best so I guess I will see when it arrives. It was shipped to me yesterday.

I like the idea of a heavy gallery TL, do you think a darker material under the gem would also bring this out as well? Definitely prong setting it then! I don't want to chip it.

Niel, it's from Clear Cut Gems.
http://www.clearcutgems.com/tourmaline/t32.html

_22758.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matt_95|1411861236|3757924 said:
I am a guy, I was actually thinking a lapel pin for this one, I thought I had said that but it appears it slipped my mind. I am very open to suggestions but I will post my ideas. I was thinking I could set this in a halo setting since it is a fairly small gem and that would increase it's presence and make it stand out more than it would on it's own. I don't think a halo on a lapel pin would be feminine but I would love your opinions on that. I have only been able to find one image similar to what I was thinking, I've attached it below. I would be open to rose gold, Lloyd did say he thinks yellow gold would suit it best so I guess I will see when it arrives. It was shipped to me yesterday.

I like the idea of a heavy gallery TL, do you think a darker material under the gem would also bring this out as well? Definitely prong setting it then! I don't want to chip it.

Niel, it's from Clear Cut Gems.
http://www.clearcutgems.com/tourmaline/t32.html

It would definitely look great in a halo, but I love halos, so I'm biased.

I wouldn't put a darker material under the gem, that wouldn't do anything for it. Just do something with a lot of metal, or a halo around it. Rose gold would definitely be ideal IMO.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he said yellow gold suits it best, I think the tourmaline is probably grayish green with a yellow undertone. If it has a blue modifier, rose gold would be best suited for it. Still, let's wait until you have it in hand first.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono and TL. I really hope that it is a pure green win no modifiers. I checked out the halo settings at work and sure enough, they do have lots of metal underneath the stone. I found a diamond with roughly the same dimensions as the tourmaline and I think that 2.5 pointers will compliment this one best in a halo, any thoughts on that?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on the look you want to go for. Personally, I'd wait and make sure you like the stone first before you go making any plans for setting it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matt_95|1412140677|3759644 said:
Thanks Chrono and TL. I really hope that it is a pure green win no modifiers. I checked out the halo settings at work and sure enough, they do have lots of metal underneath the stone. I found a diamond with roughly the same dimensions as the tourmaline and I think that 2.5 pointers will compliment this one best in a halo, any thoughts on that?

I think a halo would be gorgeous with this stone (I'm the #1 halo nut on this forum, LOL!), but I've seen men's rings where the stone in encased in metal, such as this. I would not bezel it though. Something like this ring, but in rose gold, would be gorgeous too. The stone would pop in the metal, and the facet pattern would be quite obvious, and you do want to take advantage of that precision faceting.

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/30-1-5686

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
TL|1412171079|3759779 said:
Matt_95|1412140677|3759644 said:

I think a halo would be gorgeous with this stone (I'm the #1 halo nut on this forum, LOL!), but I've seen men's rings where the stone in encased in metal, such as this. I would not bezel it though. Something like this ring, but in rose gold, would be gorgeous too. The stone would pop in the metal, and the facet pattern would be quite obvious, and you do want to take advantage of that precision faceting.

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/30-1-5686

Sorry TL, I missed this! That would look superb I think and it has given me some additional ideas.

The tourmaline arrived yesterday, the colour is definetly a pure light green with no additional modifiers and looks pretty close to the studio photos on his website. Unfortunately I am going to return it though. There is an inclusion that breaks the surface of the crown, it is visable in the studio photo however I didn't notice it when looking, that inclusion is something I could live with. Unfortunately directly below this inclusion, there is a feather. The feather is surface reaching and it goes through the crown, girdle and pavilion. I'm concerned about the durability of the gem now. I am going to return it because it is a piece I want to last my life time.

Lloyd has been phenomenal to deal with and has offered to cut me another. I'm going to take him up on that because the cut of this gem is beautiful, the facets are so neat, I've never seen a stone with such a nice cut in real life. This is the first precision cut I have ever seen and I think I definetly want more!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Matt, I'm glad Lloyd is giving you such great help, though sorry for the initial disappointment. You will end up with a tourmaline just to your tastes, though, which is super. When you have it, come back about setting it -- and post photos!!!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results