shape
carat
color
clarity

Glass filled rubies or not? Please help!

Monyettes

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a pair of ruby stud earrings, and the seller included an appraisal that said "Burma Ruby". However, they were very cheap (although pre-used with 10K gold) yet very pretty, and when I look at them I can see a glittering effect. I suspect that they are glass filled, could this be the case?
img_3226_1.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's impossible to tell from your photos but if you took them into a jeweller - one who has experience of coloured gemstones and not just diamonds - they should be able to tell you.

The red flags are that they were cheap and they do have the look of a glass filled (and perhaps even dyed) Ruby but that's pure speculation. My rule of thumb is if something is cheap then there's usually a reason and I think you may be thinking along those lines also. The words "Burma Ruby" are a bit misleading because you get highly treated rubies from all locations so I'm afraid doesn't narrow it down either. Good luck with your investigations.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is impossible to tell from your photo whether it is glass filled unless you are able to provide highly magnified pictures. As you said, it is likely to be glass filled (with some other treatment) though due to the low price you paid. Origin isn't indicative of treatment and I've seen it often enough where it might say Burma Ruby but isn't truly from Burma.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results