shape
carat
color
clarity

What Did YOU Learn Today?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Just a rambly thread about stuff that you've learned today, doesn't have to be earth-shattering. Life-long learning, blah, blah, whatever. :)

Can be something useful, funny, exasperating, about jewelry, whatever.

Here's mine to start; a modem can be reset using a dried spaghetti noodle. At about 1 1/2 inches, it retains it's strength and fits into those annoying little holes. Easier than a safety pin.

How about you? Anything?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned.....This month marks 100 years sense the passenger pidgeon went extinct

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am learning sign language, Signed Exact English rather than ASL, and I learned "pretend" today.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learnt that that you cannot turn your back on terrorism and pretend "it will never happen to us" or "it will never reach us" (here in Oz). Sticking your head in the sand will not work. You need to be brave, turn around and face this evil together.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
iLander said:
Just a rambly thread about stuff that you've learned today, doesn't have to be earth-shattering. Life-long learning, blah, blah, whatever. :)

Can be something useful, funny, exasperating, about jewelry, whatever.

Here's mine to start; a modem can be reset using a dried spaghetti noodle. At about 1 1/2 inches, it retains it's strength and fits into those annoying little holes. Easier than a safety pin.

How about you? Anything?
Earring posts work well for those little holes, too. Super convenient, because I'm always wearing my studs.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned today is year 5575 in the Jewish calendar! Happy new year! That's a lot of history!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am learning some new software at work in Access Database. I want to pull my f'ing hair out, but I am figuring it out surprisingly well. I've broken it a few times, as in some records. But the lady helping me learn it is pleased by my speed. It's good that I am picking it up because I have to train all my coworkers. :think:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I learned that when your C drive is getting too full because you only have a 100 GB SST for speed and you think you could just move the user file folder and libraries to the D drive which has two terabytes that it is a REAL BAD IDEA!

Who knew it would take me two days to unscrew so many things that rely on being in the C drive. I even had to delete some programs such as Skype and reinstall them before they were usable again.

Sigh! I really do not want to be a computer nerd, I just need to be...

Wink

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Learned not to trust Verizon for seamless software updates.

They wanted to download new software to my phone last night, sure, I clicked the Install button.

It said "Installed Successfully" but then I started getting error messages saying the "Backup to the Cloud Failed"

Agggghhh, had to call Tech Support this morning to get the "Cloud" app reset. I retired from 32 years of Software Engineering
and cannot get this dang phone to work at times, very frustrating.

Also learned that IE8,9,10, etc. (even Compatibility Mode) or whatever does NOT work with my Online Banking to print checks, I wanted to print a large check that had cleared and just gave up and used Chrome instead. :angryfire:

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I recently learnt that pigeons fly upside down over my home town.

Because theres nothing worth sh*%^ing on !!!!!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned that migraines are far stranger and (MUCH) less wonderful that I could possibly imagine, and that I've had them for literally decades.

(OK...I didn't learn that today, strictly speaking, but I'm still integrating the knowledge at this point, so I hope I'll be forgiven for fudge factor.)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm teaching myself some rudimentary Ruby programming. It's not that bad. My daughter is going into web design and I just wanted to experience "it" for myself a bit. Kind of a brain exercise, use it or lose it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The real reason my MIL won't move out of this house.

She'd have to throw something out.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I learn this every time I go to work.

I feel at peace when I come home knowing I haven't engaged in backstabbing, and critical gossip of others. It's so easy to engage in that crap. Harder to walk away (in an atmosphere that encourages that behaviour) but I can look at myself in the mirror at the end of the day.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I learned that this apartment, in the Plaza in New York City, is for sale for a measly $80 million dollars. :love:

http://streeteasy.com/building/the-plaza/1809

I also learned, from the amazing pictures, that some children have enchanted childhoods. :shock:

Sadly, I can't manage to pull the photos off to post them, but the click-through is a safe, frequently-used site.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1411584675|3756465 said:
The real reason my MIL won't move out of this house.

She'd have to throw something out.

Two words for you: Storage Unit. :)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That "ramen burgers" exist and are absolutely amazing.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1411654489|3756807 said:
I learned that this apartment, in the Plaza in New York City, is for sale for a measly $80 million dollars. :love:

http://streeteasy.com/building/the-plaza/1809

I also learned, from the amazing pictures, that some children have enchanted childhoods. :shock:

Sadly, I can't manage to pull the photos off to post them, but the click-through is a safe, frequently-used site.

Eh, too fancy for me, but yes, it would be amazing to live there. :love:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned that TV stands made in China are not made very well and take much longer to put together than the instructions state!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been learning this one over & over again--each time, from a slightly different perspective-- which makes it sort of 'new' each time.

30 years post MS, 8 years post cancer-every day I learn it all over again. To be thankful--it is what it is, it could be far worse. :appl:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Today I learned NOT to shake the feta cheese container unless you are 100% sure the lid has been snapped shut. I also learned that our dog LOVES feta cheese.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I learned that I will never be able to peel boiled eggs without making them ugly. Again.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I took a class on alpine plants/rock gardening. Very interesting.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pagans are awesome!
We went to the Pagan Pride Festival today, just to photograph some colorful costumes and dancing. (We are not Pagan, nor are we affiliated with any church)
Everyone was so nice, and kind to us, and each other. Very positive vibes. A great experience!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I learned that duvet covers are an evil French plot.

By keeping the rest of the world occupied trying to straighten out the wad of blanket inside the duvet cover, the French will have plenty of time to sneak into other countries and topple their governments.

Because even the governments will be at home, trying to unwad the duvet, and make the damn bed.

:|

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That...
"...the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) extended its approval of intramuscular IFN-β1a to include patients with CIS deemed to be at high risk for MS."

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ksinger|1412690585|3763588 said:
That...
"...the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) extended its approval of intramuscular IFN-β1a to include patients with CIS deemed to be at high risk for MS."

Translation, please, so I can learn something too ;))

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1412692536|3763602 said:
That...

That the FDA has approved disease modifying therapy (with that particular drug, and no I'm not up on it) for people who have had basically one "clinically isolated syndrome", ie - a first attack of neurological symptoms that strongly suggest multiple sclerosis, and who also satisfy the criteria (extremely complicated, but usually involving an MS-like lesion in the brain that shows up with a particular contrast MRI) to be "high risk", as being effective enough to begin at that early stage, even before CDMS (clinically definite MS) has been diagnosed.

Basically early, aggressive treatment of those at high-risk for later development of MS, has been shown to decrease/slow the incidence of full-blown disease.

Howzat?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ksinger|1412697070|3763647 said:
Lady_Disdain|1412692536|3763602 said:
That...

That the FDA has approved disease modifying therapy (with that particular drug, and no I'm not up on it) for people who have had basically one "clinically isolated syndrome", ie - a first attack of neurological symptoms that strongly suggest multiple sclerosis, and who also satisfy the criteria (extremely complicated, but usually involving an MS-like lesion in the brain that shows up with a particular contrast MRI) to be "high risk", as being effective enough to begin at that early stage, even before CDMS (clinically definite MS) has been diagnosed.

Basically early, aggressive treatment of those at high-risk for later development of MS, has been shown to decrease/slow the incidence of full-blown disease.

Howzat?

Thank you! Now it made sense to me.

I was reading about the Hanoverian Succession today. George I was 50th in line for the English throne (or thereabouts - some of the claims are hard to follow). Everyone before him ended up disqualified for being Catholics, so he inherited the throne when Queen Anne died. Of course, not everyone was happy with this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results