shape
carat
color
clarity

Torn: u-prong vs. shared prong bands (and big price diff)

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for another wedding band post, but I have a quote now for a custom Tiffany-replica 9 stone, 3-pointer shared-prong band from BGD. I've used them before and loved their work. And obviously they have amazing diamonds and craftmanship. It would look pretty much exactly like the rings we tried on at T&C that we loved. Cost: $2050 per ring (I would order 2), so $4100 total (F/G, VS2, exceptionally cut diamonds)

On the other hand, I got a quote from ID Jewelry for $950 and $1100 (size 4.5 and size 6) for u-prong 9-stone 3-pointer bands. I love the look of u-prong from the side. Are there any downsides to this type of setting? Total cost: $2050 (F/G, SI, not sure about cut quality, but people here seem to like IDJ quality).

Some pics:

First, the Tiffany ring that we loved and that sat relatively flush (I like a tiny gap), that BGD could replicate:

close.jpg
profile_4.jpg

IDJ's ring with same size diamonds and same width of band, but u-prong:

uprong_0.jpg

a real pic, only this is their eternity-- we would just go with a 9-stone
uprongreal.jpg

What would you do? Assuming IDJ has a good return policy, I'm leaning towards them, but on the other hand, I LOVE BGD's quality.

Hmmmmm....

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Torn: u-prong vs. shared prong bands (and big price diff

I'd be torn too if I were you. That's a huge price difference, cray cray.

Personally, I love the look of u-prong bands! The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the stones are a bit more exposed on the sides and consequently more prone to damage - it's probably not a real concern, tons of people have them. I haven't worked with IDJ but people seem to be happy with them.

On the other hand, you know you love the Tiffany band look for sure. So you'd be getting exactly what you want from BGD. Great quality and craftsmanship....

Sorry, I'm no help at all.

jennmae01

Rough_Rock

I can't speak to the quality as I have not worked with either vendor, but I think the U-Prong is absolutely stunning! It would be my pick even if they were the same price, honestly.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

thanks maccers-- you're NOT helping, haha, but I totally agree with you! I guess I'll see what others have to say, talk to my fiance (who doesn't care, she just wants me to be happy) and see how it goes, haha!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Between a shared prong band and a U prong I choose U prong. I love how easy they are to clean and I love seeing all of the diamond exposed.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Both rings are beautiful, but I prefer the profile of the u-prong ring. It sounds like that may be your preference as well. I would ask both IDJ and BGD what the expected heights of the bands would be. If the IDJ band would sit equally as low as the BGD band, I would think that it would sit with your ring in the same way. Also, since IDJ has a good return policy, if it doesn't work as well as the band you would have made by BGD, you could return it and then go with the BGD band.

(However, with either ring, you may end up needing a spacer band to prevent damage to your e-ring, in which case either of the rings could sit flush with that.)

Good luck!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So, there are no refunds nor exchanges with IDJ, but they are bumping up the quality to "PS quality" for the same price. I guess I will take this leap of faith and save $2000.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Sorry - I misread and missed the 'assuming' on the return policy, but If they'll bump up the quality of the stones and you get to save 2k, sounds like win :) Can't wait to see pics!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock

I also say go for the u-prong. I ordered my e-ring and wedding band both in u-prong shared prongs and they are VERY secure and easy to clean. I love the fact that the little diamonds are completely visible! There's something about basket settings that seems obtrusive somehow and hides too much beauty. I find u-prongs stunning.

imag0464.jpg

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SandyinAnaheim|1411454503|3755618 said:
I also say go for the u-prong. I ordered my e-ring and wedding band both in u-prong shared prongs and they are VERY secure and easy to clean. I love the fact that the little diamonds are completely visible! There's something about basket settings that seems obtrusive somehow and hides too much beauty. I find u-prongs stunning.

WOW, this is stunning!!! I'm sold! Going to order this week!!!

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I am offering a different suggestion. I've tried on my stepmother's Tiffany 9-stone shared prong and I love it. I think it's much prettier than a u-prong. I think the Tiffany looks perfect with your e-ring and I'd get one on the second hand market for a huge saving. If it doesn't work out you can always re-sell at a later date. Here are a couple that are approximately your size found with only a quick search but you can probably find one for less or with 'best offer' :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIFFANY-Co-...98476870?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item4d22ed9346

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Tiffan...45369581?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3cbb9878ed

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

I believe IDJ also offers shared prong rings, don't they?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

thanks quaddio-- I have my eyes on those, but am still reluctant to spend $5K on two rings

emmebee-- they do, but not with 3-pointers. I don't want to go bigger, as that was the look my fiance and I agreed was best with our solitaires

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

Hmm.. take a look at the one I posted.. it looks like it is a 9 stone with either 0.2ctw and 0.3ctw, which would be 2.3 and 3.3 pointers, respectively (hopefully I did my math right!)

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

it's 2 pointers. I'm starting to look awfully picky, huh? LOL

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

No, not at all! I know the width can make a huge difference :) There is actually a drop down for 0.3ct though..

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

That being said, I love the u prong as well.. it offers a gorgeous profile view :)

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

oooo, I didn't see that!!!

I'll see what the prices are for that one. I love the open profile too, but I don't want to have to wear a spacer ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would want excellent cut VS stone from IDJ. So get a re-quote from them for that.

I wouldn't want SI1 stones from IDJ and I wouldn't want non-excellent cuts.

BGD's quality will be the closest to Tiffany. My pieces from them have always appraised terrifically, and I've even has PS appraisers say that the quality was better than similar Tiffany pieces.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock

Great discussion! I am learning so much.
Thanks pricescopers

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We decided to go with IDJ's shared-prong w/ PS quality diamonds. For $2050 all-in, it's just such a good deal. Thanks for your help everyone!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock

Please post pictures once you get it. Can't wait to see your choice and hope you enjoy it for years to come!

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

Great!! Glad you could get the style you wanted in the price point you wanted :) Can't wait to see hand shots!!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Update:

the jeweler that was recommended by a friend (located in the downtown LA diamond district) completed our rings and we picked them up today. To my eye, they are perfect dupes of the Tiffany & Co. 9-diamond, shared-prong rings!!!

Specs:
.29 carats total (3 pointers, but I guess they were 3.something pointers to get to .29ctw)
F/G color
VS2/SI1 clarity (I can't see a thing under a 9x loupe)
sparkly as heck, so I'm pleased with the cut
platinum
size 4.5
price: $900 (price at T&C: $3400 plus tax)

So, instead of $7400 for our two rings, we paid $1800. To say we are pleased is an understatement!

Pics of my ring:

solo2.jpg

solo.jpg

top_down.jpg

top_down_2.jpg

profile2_1.jpg

side_profile_1.jpg

profile_5.jpg

For reference, here are the pics of the T&C band with my engagement ring:

profile_4.jpg

close.jpg

side by side (T&C is on the left): Magnified I can see the subtle differences and how the T&C ring is a little lower in profile, but honestly, I'm happy.

sidebyside_0.jpg

Maybe one of these days I will have a nice, FRESH manicure before I post photos of rings!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The proportion of wedding band to e-ring is perfect!!! Love your set!

You may want to consider a 1-1.5mm spacer from e-weddingbands.com or etsy in between the two rings.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock

Glad you had a good experience.
Would you mind sharing the name of your jeweler?

the_universe

Rough_Rock

I think u-prong is more beautiful. its less metal so the stones are more "naked." The shape of the U-prongs give the ring more "flow" and are less clunky in comparison. I love how the u-prong looks from side angles especially. If you didnt tell me how much each ring cost I would assume that u-prong is much higher end. Also tiffany overprices so much and you are paying for brand name.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results