shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite fish for eating?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again sonnyjane! That's what I read and why I stopped eating it a number of years ago but I wasn't sure if it was true or not. It is difficult to make sure one eats sustainable foods that are healthy for you too. Seems like it is not always easy to figure it out and I appreciate your input.

Here's an article from April 2014 that discusses tilapia.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/04/09/truth-about-tilapia/

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE Pompano, and Salmon :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't eat lobster or any other fish that is cooked alive. Cruelty like that makes me lose my appetite anyhow.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1411333992|3754928 said:
I don't eat lobster or any other fish that is cooked alive. Cruelty like that makes me lose my appetite anyhow.

I understand and respect that.

I just don't know that how other seafood it killed is any more humane, instant or painless.

Also, out there in the wild when non-humans kill prey they don't always do it in a humane/painless/considerate way.

Why should humans be any different and held to a higher standard?
We are all just animals ... surviving.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a big fan of fish, but do eat it occasionally. I won't eat anything that is farmed. What they feed those fish is disgusting. I do like shellfish. Shrimp and lobster. Don't want to cook it live though. I like scallops. If I could find fresh Alaskan salmon I would eat that. I guess I would have to say my favorites would be shrimp and lobster if you can call them fish.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Favorite fish are skate, ahi and Chilean sea bass.

Favorite shellfish are scallops and raw oysters.

Favorite crustaceans are blue crabs, Dungeness crabs, king crabs and queen crabs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoy yellowtail scad; it is plentiful and there are many different ways to cook it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:

I just don't know that how other seafood it killed is any more humane, instant or painless.

Also, out there in the wild when non-humans kill prey they don't always do it in a humane/painless/considerate way.

I don't know, Kenny; I've thought about that too. And I agree that nature is incredibly cruel in the way many species kill prey, but I guess we have brains & tools enough to cause less pain if we bother. You're right that I don't know how other sea animals are killed but I try to avoid the ones I do know about. The lobster tanks in supermarkets & restaurants make me want to cry, I feel so sorry for the poor victims crammed in there, not fed, claws banded, miserable. Lobsters can differentiate among amino acids in water -- they have very sensitive systems.

I've been on the fence for years about eating animals -- DH is a meat & potatoes freak so I cook meat. Humans are omnivores & meat provides some essential nutrients that are hard to get otherwise. We aren't more guilty for eating it than a tiger is; we are also products of nature. On the other hand I often pick up a pork roast, say, and think about the pig it used to be with such pity & sadness. Maybe I should just chalk animal "harvesting" up to our version of the cruelty of nature, but I'm sure the subject will bother me till I meet them all in the next life.

--- Laurie

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Fatty White Tuna, Red Snapper, Yellowtail, Salmon, Tuna, in that order. Raw, and over rice. I don't eat cooked fish.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't know eating farm-raised fish was not recommended. I prefer wild salmon that's sold at our grocery store's fish counter, but I've noticed many bones in it last time that I've never had to deal with in farm-raised salmon.

Aside from salmon, I also love tilapia and swordfish.

Scallops are yummy too, but I'm always afraid of under cooking them, so I rarely buy them anymore.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1411258628|3754536 said:
I love fish.
My favorite is Opah.

I thought you said Oprah! :lol: :lol: :lol:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lobster and shrimp look like spiders. Grosses me out too! Plus they feed on dead stuff, ie:drowned humans, dead fish...
Kinda makes recycling look fresh again!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1411400440|3755252 said:
kenny said:

I don't know, Kenny; I've thought about that too. And I agree that nature is incredibly cruel in the way many species kill prey, but I guess we have brains & tools enough to cause less pain if we bother. You're right that I don't know how other sea animals are killed but I try to avoid the ones I do know about. The lobster tanks in supermarkets & restaurants make me want to cry, I feel so sorry for the poor victims crammed in there, not fed, claws banded, miserable. Lobsters can differentiate among amino acids in water -- they have very sensitive systems.

I've been on the fence for years about eating animals -
- DH is a meat & potatoes freak so I cook meat. Humans are omnivores & meat provides some essential nutrients that are hard to get otherwise. We aren't more guilty for eating it than a tiger is; we are also products of nature. On the other hand I often pick up a pork roast, say, and think about the pig it used to be with such pity & sadness. Maybe I should just chalk animal "harvesting" up to our version of the cruelty of nature, but I'm sure the subject will bother me till I meet them all in the next life.

--- Laurie

As usual I agree with you Laurie. I prefer being a vegan for the cruelty to animals reason and unfortunately have been eating fish quite a lot due to my increased protein requirement but plan on going back to mainly vegan (but partly pescetarian as necessary) as soon as I can...right now planning on next month. It is upsetting to me to eat any living creature including fish but I don't fault anyone for eating meat. However I have a problem with people eating foie gras and venison and boiling live lobsters. The lobsters do feel pain when they are put into the boiling water. As you wrote we have evolved and we can think and that's just not right IMO. :(sad

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1411238276|3754382 said:
Dont know if I can say its my favorite but we eat a lot of tilapia here at the house. Makes great fish tacos!

Yummmm!!! That's what we're having for dinner tonight -- grilled tilapia tacos with mango salsa! :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1411238276|3754382 said:
Dont know if I can say its my favorite but we eat a lot of tilapia here at the house. Makes great fish tacos!

Yummmm!!! That's what we're having for dinner tonight -- grilled tilapia tacos with mango salsa! :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea why that was a double post?? Oh well...

My favorite fish is probably Louisiana redfish - grilled and spicy!

Shellfish: snow crab, shrimp, pan-seared scallops, and fried oysters

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We mostly eat wild Alaskan salmon (Copper River or king if I can find a good price) and Alaskan halibut, but only in season. We don't eat farmed fish of any kind for all the reasons Sonnyjane said, primarily the risk to wild species, pollution, and the lower nutrition value. I'd rather have a great quality of fish that I eat less often than to eat the cheap, farmed stuff more often.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results