shape
carat
color
clarity

"Topaz" question for a newb

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, just was curious about something I've noticed a couple times lately. Is it common to use "topaz" interchangeably with other things? I've seen several listings that look to be smoky quartz where they are advertised as "smoky topaz" (even though the detailed description will say quartz), I've also seen a couple topaz pieces listed on cutters' sites where in the description it will say something like "i hate polishing quartz but this one is lovely". And then on LT I noticed a morganite ring today, but the appraisal photo says it's a "pink topaz"

What's going on here? Is calling something "quartz" a lapidary euphemism I don't understand? Why the weirdness in jewelry listings (are people calling it topaz to make it sound more valuable?)

Just seeing a fair amount of this, as I browse around for topaz.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea but I think perhaps most people think Topaz sounds better and is more valued than Quartz. :confused:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately Topaz can mimic other gemstones (in looks) to the uninitiated and therefore it's easy for unscrupulous sellers to call them Morganite, Kunzite, Sapphire to command a higher price etc. :nono:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I've always understood topaz to be quartz and therefore the terms "smokey topaz" and "smokey quartz" to be interchangeable.

In wire work jewellery supplies clear quartz is most commonly called rock crystal - and is the most delicious stuff, it looks like captured water.

I think once it's coloured, either naturally by impurities or artificially by heat or irradiation, it's given one of the other appellations - topaz, citrine, amethyst etc.

Morganite on the other hand, is a beryl so I think that person got it totally wrong.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
But it's not. Topaz and Quartz are not the same thing at all, different composition, different hardness (topaz is harder), different crystalline structure. I guess I'm curious at how they seem to be interchangeable despite being totally different, unless it's a matter of historically, people having a hard time telling them apart.

But even pretty awesome/respected people seem to do it (I mean, I know this guy knows his stones!)-

http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7774

Not a big deal, just a curiosity I guess!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought topaz and quartz are two completely different minerals.

Topaz - RI (1.61-1.64), SG (3.53 - 3.56)
Quartz - RI (1.544 - 1.553), SG (2.65)

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Topaz is Not quartz- They are two separate and completely different gem species.

"Smokey Topaz" is a misnomer for smokey quartz.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Ah well I stand corrected then - thank you

Good to see you around again Ryan - any gembone coming up?

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Everyone :wavey:

Excuse me on the topaz thingy..... Typo...

Quartz and topaz are 2 totally different gem minerals... I meant to say I do not like polishing topaz or quartz for that matter. But topaz has an RI of 1.62 and totally different crystalline structure and crystal shape; whereby quartz is 1.55 RI... Sorry that anyone would think I would call a topaz a quartz or a quartz a topaz as I would not intentionally :confused:

So to make sure all know; I will correct my terminology of not liking to polish TOPAZ :) LOL

Good question though and glad you brought it to my attention :)

Have a wonderful week everyone...

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG
Certified Supreme Master Gem Cutter
# 96CGE42

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
hehhe! Dana I don't think I'd have noticed it except I saw it somewhere else, too, recently, so I was wondering if it was a "thing". Didn't mean to pick on you!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LOL Deskjockey :wink2:

No harm done in any way; my typo... glad you caught it as I type too fast sometimes and do not proof read as often as I should...

I had more-than-likely just got finished polishing a nasty quartz and had that nightmare on my mind :roll:

I spend about 10K a year with AGL so it would not be professional of me to call anything something other than what it is :)

But being one of those ole human beings; I will make a mistake from time to time...

I wish you a wonderful fall season.

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stonebender|1411396427|3755208 said:
Topaz is Not quartz- They are two separate and completely different gem species.

"Smokey Topaz" is a misnomer for smokey quartz.

Exactly this. It's always been used as a misnomer for smokey quartz.

It's like "herkamer diamond," not really diamond, but quartz.

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Starzin|1411396634|3755212 said:
Good to see you around again Ryan - any gembone coming up?[/quote

Hi Starzin! :). I'm usually around, just not seen. ;-)

No Gembone recently, or many cabs at all really. Save for a few special stones and sugar loaves and such, I've set the cutting of cabochons on the side burner- currently concentrating on faceting stones with a few jewelry pieces thrown in here and there.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Stonebender|1411542000|3756158 said:
Starzin|1411396634|3755212 said:
Good to see you around again Ryan - any gembone coming up?

Hi Starzin! :). I'm usually around, just not seen. ;-)

No Gembone recently, or many cabs at all really. Save for a few special stones and sugar loaves and such, I've set the cutting of cabochons on the side burner- currently concentrating on faceting stones with a few jewelry pieces thrown in here and there.
Aaah... another of PS' secret admirers ;)) :lol: I always like to see that stunning pendant/avatar of yours!

Woe on the lack of gembone and good for you taking things to the next level!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results