shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to find Ceylon Sapphire?

TravelingOne

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am trying to find a nice quality Ceylon or Mogok Sapphire, NON TREATED, cut or un cut doesn't matter for my engagement ring. I need some advice/help on where to look other than over priced jewelry stores. I have a family jeweler who is going to make the band, but we are looking for a really nice sapphire of a decent size. Not very well educated in gemstones or terminology and just want some advice and direction.

THanks,

Allison

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
There is a list of "recommended vendors" near the top of the forum. Use the list with caution. We recently had a vendor who was removed because he is not returning emails and has not finished people's projects, even though he is holding people's deposits and stones. You can do a search for reviews by using the search engine here.

Stones from Sri Lanka and Mogok are considered to have a good pedigree, but you should look first at how the stone performs, not its provenance. There are "good" and "bad" stones for these locales, and "good" and "bad" stones from other locales. You can do a search for "silksapphire" to see one of the best sapphires on here.

These 2 vendors also have a good number of blue sapphires to start looking for and educating yourself about how prices align with treatment and appearance.
www.gemfix.com
www.mastercutgems.com

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vendor list previously mentioned is a great starting point. I also recommend checking with Rogerio of Pristine Gems (he has a website and is on etsy). He has a good supply of sapphires, and is super kind and helpful. Email him your requirements & budget, and he can let you know what he has that fits your needs. Good luck & congratulations! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and welcome! I would suggest that before you even start contacting vendors, that you read this thread if you haven't already done so. It helps with understanding the different criteria for judging a stone - as well as helping with the gemology lingo. Good luck to you!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1411358541|3755068 said:
Hi and welcome! I would suggest that before you even start contacting vendors, that you read this thread if you haven't already done so. It helps with understanding the different criteria for judging a stone - as well as helping with the gemology lingo. Good luck to you!
I think Minous meant to add this link:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1411359400|3755072 said:
minousbijoux|1411358541|3755068 said:
I think Minous meant to add this link:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL]

Thank God one of us is awake, Preg! :snore:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for a specific blue colour? Must the sapphire be from Sri Lanka or Myanmar only? The reason I ask is because they are many gorgeous blue sapphires from other locations and there are also butt ugly blue sapphires from Sri Lanka and Myanmar. I don't know how much origin matters to you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madagascar also has sapphires that rival some Burmese, so I wouldn't just look for those specific origins.

TravelingOne

Rough_Rock
It doesn't have to be from anywhere, specifically. I just want a stone nice enough to pass down in the family...not some general commercialized crap. I REALLY appreciate ya'll taking the time to help me. Really and truly. I'm educating myself as much as possible---I'm from upstate SC and apparently I need to head to the mtns sometime, who knew Cole mtn had stones?! lol

I am checking out the vendors and will keep ya'll updated...again thanks so much!! It can be overwhelming at first. :twirl:

liao

Shiny_Rock

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For blue sapphires, I personally think the best bang for your buck comes from either Ceylon or Madagascar sapphires - did you tell us the color you seek?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results