shape
carat
color
clarity

PrimaGems Chryso + QuestJewelers setting / Need advice

IS_EDS

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody,
I am new to collecting gems and I recently bought my first gem, a chryso. I really loved the chryso ring of GemFever and wanted a chryso for myself.

I bought mine from Prima Gems. In real life, the stone looks a little bit more yellow than the color in the 1st picture. It has a flat crown so it does not sparkle much but I like the color. I had the stone set by Quest Jewelers in VA in a simple solitaire setting with a lotus-type basket; the setting is made of 18k yellow gold.

However, since I am new, I made a mistake by choosing a setting with a hole in the back -- see the 3rd picture -- and it does not cover the window in the stone, I now realize my mistake. The window bothers me.

At Quest Jewelers, I was told that they can patch up the hole by a small amount of gold, however, that will make cleaning the ring very difficult and in the future there will be an accumulation of dirt. Accordingly, instead of a window I will end up with a black spot (of dirt) in the middle of the ring.

I am interested in masking the window, and I am wondering if anybody has an opinion on whether cleaning this type of basket with the back hole patched up will be impossible. (I do not have an ultrasound cleaner and plan on cleaning the setting with a brush.)

GemFever, did you successfully clean the bottom of your your Chryso ring with a brush (yours is a bezel so cleaning the bottom must have been even more difficult)?

Best,
Sophie

_22587.jpg

_22588.jpg

_22589.jpg

_22590.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a beautiful setting. I have used Quest in the past, but never for a full setting. Was this a full custom job? Were their prices reasonable.

I would cover just the bottom hole and clean with a brush. I think you will still be able to get in there from the sides?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Patch up the hole. The gallery has enough open spaces to get in there with a toothbrush and clean it. I have rings I can get clean with much smaller spaces in the gallery.

Don't use an ultrasonic cleaner. A soft toothbrush does the job amazingly well.

IS_EDS

Rough_Rock
Pregcurious,
The invoice says it is a custom setting by Amavida Style YW-ER11691. The stone is of a non-standard size (8.4 x 9.8 with almost no belly, it is also not deep), so probably they had to customize the basket because it is a non-standard/non-calibrated stone (?). I honestly do not know. I paid 540 for the setting and 100 for the labor of setting the stone in the setting.

Pregcurious and TL, thank you for your input.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sooo pretty with the scalloped top of the basket - beautiful ring.
Follow TL's advice ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1411313252|3754782 said:
Patch up the hole. The gallery has enough open spaces to get in there with a toothbrush and clean it. I have rings I can get clean with much smaller spaces in the gallery.Don't use an ultrasonic cleaner. A soft toothbrush does the job amazingly well.

It's a lovely chrysoberyl and pretty setting. As TL suggested, I would also only cover the bottom-most hole, which still allows ease of cleaning the pavilion from the open gallery.

_22604.jpg

IS_EDS

Rough_Rock
Starzin, Chrono,
thank you for your advice and input. I requested a quote from Quest; if their price is reasonable, I will have it patched up.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks IS-EDS. The price seems reasonable, and the work looks great.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results