shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone identify the markings on my Antique Ring ?

lizzbeatrice

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have an antique ring that was left to me by a family member and was hoping someone can help me identify the markings. It is marked CR-MK 14K . The 14K part is obvious, but what does the CR-MK stand for? Thanks in advance for any input

img_5554.jpg

img_5555.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring! The pearls and amethyst are gorgeous.

The last 14k indicates 14k gold is involved somehow.
The CR might indicate C.R. Hettel http://www.illusionjewels.com/costumejewelrymarksc.html

Given the look of the piece though (Amethyst, chunky vintage styling, scratchy burnished finish, different coloration on areas of wear like the pearl prongs), it probably indicates some fancy type of electroplating or gold-filling technique.

Have you taken it to a jeweler?

lizzbeatrice

Rough_Rock
Thank You HopeDream,
No I have not taken it to a jeweler yet. So far I have just been doing some research on my own. I may be wrong on how old I thought the ring was but considering I believed it to be around 50-60 years old, did they have electroplating then?

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
I have my dad's wedding ring. It used to say "MA - TE" but the TE has rubbed off. My moms band has "TE -MA". Seems to be from the same timeframe and I was told this was pretty common. It is their first and middle initials. Maybe that's what your marking is?

_22575.jpg

lizzbeatrice

Rough_Rock
Thank you susanrachel28 I had thought that maybe they could be initials also, but I was told that the ring had belonged to my godmother for years and the initials mean nothing in that case. I did take it to a jeweler and it tested positive for gold so the initials would not have anything to do with plating as another member suggested.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Ah! Good catch Susanrachel28. I hadn't even considered initials.

Lizzbeatrice I'm glad the ring tested well at the jewelers. The mystery letters could be one of the rarer jewelers' hallmarks that isn't widely listed. Take good care of those pearls!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results