shape
carat
color
clarity

which of the > 2 carat genfix rubies for a ring?

jeffd

Rough_Rock
Starzin|1411000811|3752824 said:
Bummer! I thought it was going to be a surprise :bigsmile:

we have very different tastes so I've learned it's best to get her involved in the process.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
jeffd|1410909241|3752176 said:
here's a link to the video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxIEFGNFogtWX0JpeVdJZDl4NTA/edit?usp=sharing

Robert sent me the photo subsequent to the video as he didn't think the video did the color of the rubies justice.
Well, you can see that the crown (the top surfaces) are very symmetrical in the middle stone. It looks like it also has the largest face-up size, which is what matters (as long as it does not have a window, which it does not).

If you have not seen rubies in person, a top ruby should hold its color under different light, including bright sunlight and under light sources indoors. It should not drastically shift in color, but some color shift is expected under different light sources. It should have a little bit of silk to diffuse the light within the stone, but no so much silk that it looks cloudy. It should also have strong red fluorescence, which will make it glow red in UV light. For the last part, you may want a UV light source, or a black light.

So basically, the red color should wow you, and the stone should contain silk and fluorescence to be able to "glow".

jeffd

Rough_Rock
photos to coming soon!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Your in hand shots I hope!

jeffd

Rough_Rock
so we have all three rubies but I haven't been able to take a good photo of them with my iphone...all too blurry. My wife is leaning towards the larger, gemfix ruby although both of the small rubies have better color and clarity. She likes that the larger ruby will face up bigger and the fact that it's unheated, in the end, seems to be making a difference to her.

the gemfix ruby comes with an agl brief report, how concerned should I be that we don't have the full report?

tia!

ps any tips on how to take better photos would be appreciated.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're doing it with your phone,a lot of times people try to get too close to the stones, the auto focus can't handle that and it gets blurry. Try and use a camera app that has a "macro" option and/or take a picture like a foot away or so, then crop it, cropping with in essence zoom the image making the rubies bigger for our viewing. Also make sure there isn't a lot of background.

I usually find mine are best under a tree ( which I wouldn't try with a loose stone) or set on a windowsill

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: Looking forward to your photos!
the gemfix ruby comes with an agl brief report, how concerned should I be that we don't have the full report?
I wouldn't worry at all until and unless you sell it, the brief is sufficient for most people and identifies the ruby you have by size and states it's unheated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since it is untreated, the brief will suffice. It is when the stone is treated that I would want to know the type and level of treatment.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Bump.

So did you purchase one of these three? Is it set yet? We would love to see photos ;))

jeffd

Rough_Rock
it's been three years since I purchased the ruby, I haven't gotten it set :oops: the ruby was purchased from gemfix, is untreated and a little over 2 carats. I was thinking about contacting whiteflash to set the ring, does that makes sense?

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You don't need the embarrassed emoji! You bought a fabulous ruby and it needs a fabulous setting. My husband still hasn't set my black opal he bought for me over twelve years ago. Anyway, I'm sure others on here can help you better than I. Good luck!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pictures guys pictures! Unheated ruby?! *Gasp*. BLACK OPAL?! *Gasp*!!!!

Please flood us with pictures pretty pretty please!

I thought the ban on Burma ruby was lifted last year?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results