shape
carat
color
clarity

The rough for my Octavia (pics)...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
To give you an idea here is a virtual heart view of DF Octavia based off a computer scan.
While not what I would consider 100% accurate it gives you an idea of how the pavilion view looks in a h&a viewer.
It is not as informative as with a round.

dfoctavia0h_amp_ascope.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its on its way to AGS for grading! One step closer to your hand DF!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1411233819|3754356 said:
Its on its way to AGS for grading! One step closer to your hand DF!! :appl: :appl: :appl:
Yup, Jon was gonna look at the stone for me this morning but Charles had already shipped the stone to AGS yesterday.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Karl. What I was meaning was are Octavia's what is called 3 dimensional as was stated in the description about
cutting them?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pyramid|1411246958|3754435 said:
Thanks Karl. What I was meaning was are Octavia's what is called 3 dimensional as was stated in the description about
cutting them?
not sure what you are referring to.
Both Yoram and I use the term "3d works of art" because they are "3d works of art".
When cutting them from rough you have to think in 3d.. You are cutting a 3d object from a 3d object.
When cutting them everything has to come together in 3 dimensions to form the diamond.
Any of those what you are referring to?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl

This is the quote from this thread where DiaGem mentioned the words 3D symmetry precision, I will add below the links from
the other thread I was trying to relate it too, but this is maybe different use of the words 3D symmetry.

DiaGem|1408664126|3737175 said:
Dancing Fire|1408661416|3737144 said:
Yoram
With these adjustments will the stone still receive AGS Ideal 0 grade? any guess of its final weight?

These adjustments are specifically applied in order to achieve a 3D symmetry precision as close to perfect as possible.
On plenty of occasions we must extremely lightly repolish an entire facet structure in order to fine tune symmetry facet meeting points within technological margins of error. Usually such a process might take a full day and wont loose any weight :shock: . It's really basically slightly moving facet junctions to their planned and final positions.

DF, it is all good, it's a long, challenging & complex cutting process (which many cutters look at us as crazies) but when we manage to complete a cut to OUR satisfactory level of precision, it's a great feeling of achievement.

This is the thread I was referring to and the post below from that thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ons-in-settings.205827/#post-3746092#p3746092
There is not good correlation between 3D symmetry and Optical symmetry, between 3D Symmetry and Visual( minor) symmetry ( facet junctions,.)

simplest examples are culet, table tilt or shift . it significantly destroy 3D symmetry but have low impact for Optical symmetry .

3D symmetry instrument is more important for cutters to achieve Plan( reference cut) with minimal weight loss .
Optical symmetry is more important for consumers .

Girdle symmetry is important for all participants of diamond market ( but it is possible to grade in 2D)

Sergey Sivovolenko

John Pollard also writes on this subject before this post in the same thread.

So my question was if H&A are not 3 dimensional, are Octavia's the only ones who are? Or is 3 dimensional just more complicated than I am trying to ask about it maybe?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think what you are saying Karl is the same as Serg now I read it again, think I am confusing optical symmetry as something I can buy and see in a diamond and thinking that 3d symmetry is the same but is it not that all diamonds are 3 dimensional and the symmetry is how the material is being worked with in 3 dimensions as you said. So is the 3 dimensions important when cutting H&A diamonds too.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pyramid|1411250063|3754464 said:
Think what you are saying Karl is the same as Serg now I read it again, think I am confusing optical symmetry as something I can buy and see in a diamond and thinking that 3d symmetry is the same but is it not that all diamonds are 3 dimensional and the symmetry is how the material is being worked with in 3 dimensions as you said. So is the 3 dimensions important when cutting H&A diamonds too.
The various different ways a diamond is 3d is important in any cut.
The differences your noting are the different types of 3d.
3d optical symmetry
3d physical symmetry
3d appearance, or the sculpture effect. How the diamond material itself looks like a 3d object.
3d depth, the mile deep look in asschers and some other designs.
All are different things but related and interlocked in some ways.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 2-D diamond would be flat like a sheet of paper.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Karl. Yes Kenny, I realise that now you have said. I was just trying to make sense of it in my little brain :)).

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are two images of Octavia when the first crown steps are applied.

Left actual image (look at that blue...) :sun:
Right an approx srn. image of the position.

c1.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram...so last facet to polish is the table?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1411361176|3755082 said:
Each crown step as it is applied makes the table a little smaller as you will see as more pictures are posted.
Then the table facet is final polished as one of the last steps at this point it is just rough polished.
You can see the polish marks on the table in the picture.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl, do you and Yoram work together to make cutting decisions during the process, or is Yoram on his own with your design?

Again if I'm being too nosey no problem; feel free to not answer.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1411362795|3755086 said:
Dancing Fire|1411361176|3755082 said:
Each crown step as it is applied makes the table a little smaller as you will see as more pictures are posted.
Then the table facet is final polished as one of the last steps at this point it is just rough polished.
You can see the polish marks on the table in the picture.
Interesting observation Karl.
This image is showing the table (mainly).
It's hard to notice but you could easily see a fine line towards the bottom of the table showing a microscopic tilt we needed to apply.
Notice the two different polish (lines) mark directions. Top (the tilt) showing marks from NE to SW while on the bottom (original table facet) showing marks E to W.

A sign which shows this tilt is microscopic is there is no clear straight facet junction (it's kind of smearing).

table_tilt_polish_lines4.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1411364984|3755092 said:
Karl, do you and Yoram work together to make cutting decisions during the process, or is Yoram on his own with your design?

Again if I'm being too nosey no problem; feel free to not answer.
lol Kenny be nosey?? naw....
For the record this is both Yoram's and my design, not just mine.
Gen1 when we were having issues we both worked on solving them.
The gen2 switch we both worked on.
Since gen2 was refined and gen3, Yoram consults with me on occasion on the fine tuning.
Which you will hear about that with this one later in the story.
If one happens to go off plan for some reason or another he will also consult me but these days he has the solution all figured and is just letting me know for the most part.

Yoram deserves all the credit for the execution of the finished diamond.
I trust him beyond any doubt to meet the high standards we both expect with every Octavia.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram, more pics please... :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Karl. :wavey:

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1411544083|3756163 said:
Yoram, more pics please... :appl:
Here are 15 recorded Sarine file images showing a rough chronicle of the pavilion cutting process.
On the last file/model 15, you can see a close up of the P3’s and an accompanying AsetDc image of its current model.
This imagery is for the purpose of showing its advancement in a fast forward mode.
As you viewers can notice (I hope), the whole pavilion is being worked on simultaneously, slowly placing all the facets into its balanced positions.
Please do keep in mind that the shaping (girdle planes vs corner breaks) is an extreme rigorous process by itself (in which I will get into more at a later date), we cut the corners according to a specific formula, one of the most important factors in the process which will determined the final positions & angles of CP3 (corner pavilion 3). We only reached our shaping goal when reaching the shape as shown in model 11.
Model 15 is where we completed the basic placements of the pavilion facets which are based on the exactness of the girdle plane positions as mentioned above. You can notice the P3's are not inter-connecting at the culet and/or at the P2-P3 junctions allowing us plenty of freedom to maneuver.
Now we begin with a long strenuous fine-tuning polishing process which when completed according to design will result in the most precise & accurate three dimensional symmetry.
Model 15 is somewhere in the first 25-30% of the number of scans required for this lengthy cutting & polishing process.
I will post more as time allows.
pavilioncronicle2.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank Yoram.
Amazing how much work the Octavias are.

Compared to how the typical generic asscher is cut by the typical cutting house how many more polishing steps and stops to scan are needed to cut an Octavia?

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
Bump.....any word back from the labs on this beauty?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1411237631|3754375 said:
Yup, Jon was gonna look at the stone for me this morning but Charles had already shipped the stone to AGS yesterday.

Didn't someone recently say AGS's turn around time was 1 or 2 weeks right now?
It probably had next-day or 2nd-day shipping each way, and it went to AGS 17 days ago.

So ... :whistle:

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
kenny|1412655172|3763449 said:
Dancing Fire|1411237631|3754375 said:

Didn't someone recently say AGS's turn around time was 1 or 2 weeks right now?
It probably had next-day or 2nd-day shipping each way, and it went to AGS 17 days ago.

So ... :whistle:

Sooooooooooo....any day now!! :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGS graded the stone I VS2 all zeros. I asked Jon to shoot another You Tube video to compare this Octavia with couple of higher color graded stones.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1412661927|3763474 said:
AGS graded the stone I VS2 all zeros.
Perfect right on spec. congrates!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results