shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a $25k+ diamond, please CONFIRM my sanity!

snoopy916

Rough_Rock
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12579/

My sanity needs your help, what do you guys think of this diamond (especially in terms of cut and clarity)? It's getting shipped to me tomorrow so I can see it myself.

Cut: HCA is 1.7, AGS 000, H&A; is this the best of the best? Any issues with those hearts having clefts? Any issues with any of the following measurements below?
Width: 8.23mm
Length: 8.24mm
Depth: 5.02mm
Table Percentage: 57.10% too big?
Depth Percentage: 61.00%
Crown ∠: 34.40°
Pavilion ∠: 41.00° too wide?

I noticed the Upper girdle angle, ° 41.07 39.92 41.65 1.73 - VG Any issues with that?

Color: H color; Not too worried about that, my GF isn't sensitive up to I.
Carat: 2.057
Clarity: GOG says its eye clean half arms length. There is a translucent feather and small grayish inclusions on the table. Will any of those inclusion affect how it sparkles in anyway (some of them are on the table)?

If you had to nitpick one or two things, what would it be? Or is there something better?

I realllly appreciate this website and everyone's help! I hope I found the one!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post idealscope. But no, there is no issue with any of the numbers.

snoopy916

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. I didn't ask for an ideal-scope prior to shipment. Are there any advantages over the ASET that was posted?

Do you think any of those inclusions are large enough to affect the brilliance or fire of the diamond's performance?

snoopy916

Rough_Rock
Also, here are two light performance maps for the two diamonds I am considering. Is one significantly better than the other?

_436.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are working with GOG. Just ask them which one is best and buy that one. You are working with a full service vendor. Get on the phone with them and ask them to pull both and compare them and tell you about them.

snoopy916

Rough_Rock
#2 isn't from GOG. Was just hoping for some opinions from independent, seasoned pricescopers :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post stats.

snoopy916

Rough_Rock
Diamond #2
Cut: HCA is 1.1, AGS 000, H&A
Table Percentage: 57.6%
Depth Percentage: 60.8%
Crown ∠: 34.00°
Pavilion ∠: 40.8°

Carat: 1.92 ct
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Pictures below.

In terms of light leakage, and how it "blings" (fire and brilliance), is one significantly better than the other?

Diamond #2

_437.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You aren't giving me the same information for each.

Now I need the ASET and the idealscope for the other one.

You have to compare apples to apples.

snoopy916

Rough_Rock
I'm confused, isn't the ASET on the GOG website? I don't have the ideal-scope for that one. For Diamond #2, isn't it the the ASET the one at the bottom left?

nukezero

Rough_Rock
Looks like he bought the good old gold one. Great choice - nothing wrong with that. I think any selection from GoG is going to stun. They hand-pick their loose stones and stand by it with 30 day return and lifetime trade-up or 75% buyback.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamxray is what GOG calls the Idealscope. Link us to the GOG diamond.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
sorry, I just saw this this morning, so I apologize for being late and maybe too late for the selection time...Both are really nice stones but if you're asking for nitpicking, then #1 offers a nice size, if it's priced similar to other stones from WF ES or ACA I wouldn't want clefts on the hearts, and there's a little leakage on the ASET, but not significant, an appraiser would be helpful here.

Is this one in budget? http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3198013.htm I wish there were an ES option for you in spec, but there's nothing! Maybe if you called and asked about any new inventory. You could do the same with GOG, ask them to call in another stone, but not sure if you're working against a tight timeline. Good luck, I'm sure if you did pick that first stone, it would be a stunner IRL and perform exceptionally well, you just asked for nitpicking, so I did :)

snoopy916

Rough_Rock
Luvdajules, unfortunately that whiteflash one you linked is not eye clean.

In terms of performance and how it blings you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two right?

Gypsy, that link for that GOG diamond is on the initial post.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Opps. Missed that. I think they are about the same. I'd go with whichever vendor has the setting you want.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
sorry about that, did you call to confirm with WF? Sometimes they miss them or can tell you more about the inclusions. What are you thinking? Going with that first GOG stone?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my opinion from the assets I believe no 2 is the better cut diamond, but that is as far as ideal look goes, they are both great
diamonds with high cut specifications, I would pick no 1 though because it is over 2 carat and in the real world in say 3 years time, I would rather have the 2 carat diamond than the nuances of ideal cut which only I would know and would be invisible in my mind from the other diamond which IS ALSO ideal but just doesn't have the perfect ideal hearts.

I would definitely go for No 1 but if that one was gone I would have no hesitation going for No 2, so I would buy either, just up to
how you and your brain look at things. Others would go No 2 first. I bet though the average woman would go for No 1 because it
hits the 2 carat. Taken somewhere with a crowd of women it would probably be something like 70% for the 2 carat and 30% for the perfect hearts. Engineer types may go for the hearts.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I work it out in my mind too, I mean we all know that smaller and more perfect costs more than larger less perfect. I also think that cut is king, but you have that with both as hearts & arrows are aesthetic although GOG did a video comparing h&a with non h&a, but you have near h & a here so you have that in my opinion.

Then I look at the other C's, SI1 is lower than VS2 so in clarity the highest and most expensive is the VS2, but do you rate that
higher than an SI1 you can't see with the naked eye is mind clean or higher spec what you want. If so No2 wins for Clarity.

They both are same Color so unless you had lab facilities and could check which H color is the highest, like high H and low H then the Color stands the same.

No 1 has higher Carat weight so it leads there.

I would add up this and if clarity didn't matter then No 1 Carat weight is the winner, but if Cut nuace matters, (like higher clarity does, e.g. mind clean) then No 2 is the winner. Do you think more expensive is worth more and better or do you look for value, e.g. can't see it so why pay for it. There is a price for each thing and also when the stone was bought, the individual charges of the sellers etc so you can't know everthing. Weigh up pros and cons, if they are the same to you toss a coin or ask someone you trust what they would go for. When I am making a decision, I sometimes think to myself, when I decide on one that is it, I am not going to look anymore and change the decision I have made. Otherwise it drives you crazy and just wastes your time. If I do change the decision after this, it is because I am only giving the thing a little bit of thought but something is prodding me to change it and that is because I feel it is the one I really like so I do change it. This takes time though a day or two to come to the surface with me.

Really only you can decide. Decide what you will buy within 2 hours say and then that is that. That is your diamond. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results