shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide what to do with these tiny stones

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, I've been on a bit of a PS hiatus lately, but I'm thinking about using starting a new project!

I have a pair of 2.7mm spinels that I got from Brad awhile ago, and I just love their delicate colour, even though they're tiny.

screen_shot_2012-06-25_at_10.png

I've sent an inquiry to Caysie (CVB on etsy) to see what she thinks about doing a bezeled 5-stone with diamonds in 1-3-5 and the spinels in the 2-4 position, but I don't know if that's the smartest thing to do with them given their small size. This is the inspiration ring: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/199771188/old-european-and-mine-cut-five-stone

Options so far include:
1. 5-stone with uniform sized stones
2. graduated 5-stone with suggested sizes of 2.2mm on the ends and 3.5 in the centre
3. earrings of some kind?

I would wear the ring as a low-profile e-ring alternative when it's better to wear a band (I like that the colour is very similar so I'd still feel connected to my solitaire even if I wasn't wearing it), or as an every-day RHR, so I'm not terribly concerned about blinginess, but I would want good finger coverage. Size would be 4.5.

As for earrings, I usually wear studs, so I thought just a simple bezel would be sweet. I could get dangles or charms to wear with them, but my hang up is that I wouldn't get to see them!

I'm also open to completely new ideas!

Well wise PS-ers... what would you do :?:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, they are pretty small, so you're not going to get a ton of coverage with 5 2.7mm stones. Are you ok with that? It'd be about 13.5mm and the diameter of a size 4.5 is 15.3ish.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1411062512|3753230 said:
Well, they are pretty small, so you're not going to get a ton of coverage with 5 2.7mm stones. Are you ok with that? It'd be about 13.5mm and the diameter of a size 4.5 is 15.3ish.

Yeah that is my concern. I think bezeling will help them out to bridge the distance, but I don't want it to be a wash of metal either...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would use them as side stones for a 3-stone ring, with a light pink oval centre stone.

DK :))

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's some ideas to flesh it out a bit more. My first idea was to add two small melee (1mm?) between all of the stones, but then I looked at some other pics in my inspiration folder. Maybe some of these will strike your fancy?

371c48d875687df17a2a1cb2f70654b1.jpg

violet03eternity22.jpg

liz_joe_escobar_band.jpg

il_165.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think bezeled with the right salt water pearls the color would set off pearls beautifully

uploadfromtaptalk1411075237563.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I love the color of those little creatures! So delicate & pretty.

I like the idea of a band. There are lots of variations you could do -- part eternity, full eternity, or even have them flush set into a gold band. You could use them with diamonds or with other colored stones.

Something like this but with just the 2 (or more if you can get them):

gr5877c.jpg

790232c.jpg

il_166.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely adore the pearls Niel posted and think they would look stunning with your lavender spinels - sooo gorgeous.

But I'll throw a couple of other ideas out there-

Bubble ring - your spinels would fit easily into this design and the two extra needed shouldn't cost too much.

bubble-ring-multicol-haslerandkim.png

multicol-round-qvc.jpg

ruby-pears-dias-multi.jpg

hex-spinel-apatite-yvonneraley.png

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Oooh! These are all great ideas! The pictures really help. I also thought maybe I could find some tiny stones in my wedding colours and put them together in something like a multicoloured version of the SS cobblestone collection?

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/old-cut-diamond-charm-single-stones-cobblestone-collection

The earrings Niel posted also have me warming up to the idea of bezelled studs that I could have a series of drops for - pearls like the picture, etc. so that I could wear them everyday or dress them up. I feel like this would be the most practical option but I'm still torn because I'd want to see them!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
but I'm also warming up to the idea of a delicate bezel band like this, even if it doesn't offer full finger coverage...

tiffanyjazz.jpeg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
5mm Pebble style studs with a stone on the center?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
5 stone ring with the stones changing color as they get to the center.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
the next ones could be pinkish purple and the center could be pink. Or something like that.

SPSGuy

Rough_Rock
Clearly there is only one answer here. If you have tiny gemstones clearly you are required to make tiny doll jewelry.

Just kidding. I like 3 stone rings, 2 on the side and one in the center. I think your two gemstones with a larger blue gemstone in the middle could be quite stunning. Alternatively you can use them for stacking rings like this

https://img0.etsystatic.com/038/0/5816474/il_570xN.624585786_2e4m.jpg

buy a few more small stones and you have yourself a nice collection of stackables.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I *really* adore your spinels!! I love this thread too, bc I purchased my own tiny spinels recently (only 2.4 mm, eek!) and I've been going through the same thought process. Mine are little cobalt blues, they were the most expensive per carat price I've ever paid for a gem, and sometimes I think I'm crazy, lol...but the insanely gorgeous blue color of them makes me so happy, I think it was worth it. I doubt I'll ever own a larger cobalt blue, and I just adore them. So, what I'm trying to say is, I get it :)

I was thinking of doing an eternity with mine, alternating diamonds for the other gems needed. These are the two styles I'm considering right now. The first is by Stephanie at Metalicious (etsy store). I love her work but i have no idea if she would use my gems or not... The second is from Yvonne Raley and I know she would set them for me, bc I bought them from her :)

_22567.jpg

_22568.jpg

_22569.jpg

_22570.jpg

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
innerkitten, the 5 stone ring idea with different colours is a good one... I emailed Brad this morning to see if he has any suggestions or small stones that would work well with this colour. It's tough finding something small, well cut, and with the right tone so that it doesn't overwhelm the little spinels.

SPSGuy - The stackers are cute! I would be afraid of losing one of them though... somehow in my mind they need to stay together.

Katharath I'm so glad you understand! I like your inspiration rings a lot, and I am leaning more and more towards a band - now it's a matter of the execution. I feel like spacing them with other stones is hard with only 2... if they were a suite of 3 I would be more inclined to incorporate them into an eternity style. Does that make sense? I don't know how to make them "more" than a supporting role to a center stone since there are 2 of them.

Maybe I will have to go on the hunt for another pair so I could make a 7-stone alternating diamonds to get the finger coverage I want. Would it look weird to have a tapered 7-stone with all diamonds other than the 3 and 5 positions?
[o o o O o o o ]

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
I found an etsy listing for a vintage ring with almost the exact same stone sizes I'm considering for a 5-stone! I would likely go slightly larger in the center (only by .5mm or so), and do full bezel around each stone to space them out a bit. This picture is a 6.5 ring, and I would have a 4.5 or 5 so I'm more confident about the finger coverage now.

I can't decide now if I want a simple setting and gallery like this, or go with the more ornate version I originally messaged Caysie about... Thoughts?

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/199771188/old-european-and-mine-cut-five-stone

_22580.jpg

_22581.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
What an interesting find Niel.

I think the hex bypass is different too - I'm not really a lover of bypass rings so this one stands out :))

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Oooh! Some really neat ideas! I like the bypass style more than I expected to, and the julia B ring - although I think the spinels are a bit too tiny at 2.7mm to stand out in that one.

I reached out to Brad to see if he had anything that would work with these guys in tone, and he found a 3.6mm spinel in almost the same colour as my pair, and also portuguese cut! I think I will space the 3 out with 3mm-ish old cuts to make a baby 5-stone that should cover the top of my finger. He is sending me the stone to see how they play together, and that will help me decide.

I maaayyyyyy also have asked him include the blue pear sapphire in the package... :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results