shape
carat
color
clarity

Am i cleaning my diamond too much?

Passion4diamonds

Rough_Rock
I clean my diamond in it's platinum setting 2-3 times a week for 5-10 minutes in a solution that is ammonia free. I brush it with a little brush too. I just like it sparkly clean all the time! Am I cleaning it too much? I don't want to damage it. Thanks!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't damage a diamond by doing that. I clean mine every day in a similar manner and have been doing so for years.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same here, I just stand at the kitchen sink (while my coffee is brewing) and clean the pavilion of my diamond
with a toothbrush and liquid dishwashing soap from the dispenser on the sink. I don't even have to take my ring
off to do this, pretty convenient if you ask me.

Passion4diamonds

Rough_Rock
Ok good thanks ladies! I can't stand a dirty diamond!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2-3 times per week? I'm probably up to 2-3 times per day!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean mine everyday.

Luv-a-Good-Diamond

Rough_Rock
Same here - I love my diamond to sparkle! I clean mine often with dishwashing liquid as well. I even keep a toothbrush in my travel bag that is used just for cleaning my diamond (I use either just water and/or a little of the hotel shampoo that's in the room).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Passion4diamonds|1411089618|3753455 said:
Ok good thanks ladies! I can't stand a dirty diamond!
Neither can I.. :nono: My wife wears "dirty diamonds".. :knockout:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean mine every day with my electric toothbrush + hand soap. Somehow I've never had a soapy tasting toothbrush afterwards, LOL.

My soon-to-be-wife touches her diamond all day and only cleans it once a week (I should say I steal it from her and *I* clean it)--- I can't stand it, LOL!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I clean my ER every day and try to avoid getting it wet with my area's very hard water. I use an OxyClean type spray in an ultrasonic machine and I add my earrings, pendant and bracelet. Once a month I polish the platinum of my ring (and other jewelry) with metal polish because I don't like the band to look like an old nickel. This takes off all the little scratches, marks and tarnish and leaves me with a sparkling brand new ring! Of course this polish is petroleum based so then I scrub it with a toothbrush, use my steamer, waterpik and back in the ultrasonic.

My fiance thinks I'm a little over-zealous, but he's been present many times when people comment on how brilliantly my jewelry shines, and that's how I like it.

But I'm confused by the OP's original comment mentioning ammonia-free. I've read other people around here do use ammonia so I am unaware of any damage it might cause. Is there a problem with ammonia?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SandyinAnaheim|1411172293|3754069 said:

But I'm confused by the OP's original comment mentioning ammonia-free. I've read other people around here do use ammonia so I am unaware of any damage it might cause. Is there a problem with ammonia?

I heard it can damage some plating but I have been using ammonia on my wife's 14K wg setting.

ygkintl

Rough_Rock
If you don't have an ultra sonic, clean your diamond jewelry with a tooth brush and soap. Get in all the crevasses, and try your best to clean the pavilion (Bottom portion) of the the center diamond. I personally don't like the jewelry cleaning solutions. Yes your jewelry will look sparkly, but it also erodes any rhodium plating if your ring is 14/18kt gold.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there is such a thing as cleaning a diamond too much :D :sun:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
OK, so I take it ammonia has an effect on plating? I will presume that my solid metals shouldn't have any problems, which is what I thought originally. And I agree with Arkie! :cheeky:

Passion4diamonds

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your replies! My metal is platinum so hopefully I have nothing to worry about. I'm tempted to just buy an ultrasonic and steamer and do away with the jewelry cleaners!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think ammonia can be damaging to white gold that is plated. Mr. Clean is ammonia free though!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can never clean a diamond too much. They get dirty so easily.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
wow............i cant recall the last time I cleaned mine. It looks so much better when I clean it but I just forget

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
No. Diamonds should be cleaned preferably daily or at the very least every two-three days if you are wearing them every day. If they are stored away, they should still be cleaned preferably before wearing them out. I clean mine every day, only if I get home extremely late and/or am very tired I do it the next day. An ultrasonic is most definitely the best as it reaches areas a toothbrush cannot reach and is stronger. Even a simple household one can work.

That said pieces can incur damage by cleaning. It is not even really damage but an ultrasonic or a toothbrush can knock out stones, depending on the workmanship. Micropave is the most susceptible to this type of stone loss. It all depends on the quality of the workmaship but even at the best it can happen incidentally. This is why pieces are normally tested in an ultrasonic after they are finished. Antique jewelry is the most susceptible. It is a good idea anyhow to have setting checked every once in a while but at least if you knock out a stone during cleaning hopefully it will not get lost. As mentioned here many times before always have sinks plugged and never dump out the fluid in the ultrasonic without checking.

I use JAR in my ultrasonic, it works amazingly well. It is also extremely important to use a plastic basket in the ultrasonic. Some people use hooks and they are fine but cannot be used for everything. It is of utmost importance that the jewelry does not get banged on the walls and/or the floor of the device or the polish will be badly damaged. Colored stones often require special care and caution but diamonds can be and should be cleaned regularly. It is much easier to remove dirt, grease and dust regularly than removing them once they are "baked on".

Passion4diamonds

Rough_Rock
OVincze|1411295300|3754699 said:
No. Diamonds should be cleaned preferably daily or at the very least every two-three days if you are wearing them every day. If they are stored away, they should still be cleaned preferably before wearing them out. I clean mine every day, only if I get home extremely late and/or am very tired I do it the next day. An ultrasonic is most definitely the best as it reaches areas a toothbrush cannot reach and is stronger. Even a simple household one can work.

That said pieces can incur damage by cleaning. It is not even really damage but an ultrasonic or a toothbrush can knock out stones, depending on the workmanship. Micropave is the most susceptible to this type of stone loss. It all depends on the quality of the workmaship but even at the best it can happen incidentally. This is why pieces are normally tested in an ultrasonic after they are finished. Antique jewelry is the most susceptible. It is a good idea anyhow to have setting checked every once in a while but at least if you knock out a stone during cleaning hopefully it will not get lost. As mentioned here many times before always have sinks plugged and never dump out the fluid in the ultrasonic without checking.

I use JAR in my ultrasonic, it works amazingly well. It is also extremely important to use a plastic basket in the ultrasonic. Some people use hooks and they are fine but cannot be used for everything. It is of utmost importance that the jewelry does not get banged on the walls and/or the floor of the device or the polish will be badly damaged. Colored stones often require special care and caution but diamonds can be and should be cleaned regularly. It is much easier to remove dirt, grease and dust regularly than removing them once they are "baked on".
Thanks so much for the advice. Can you tell me where to purchase the JAR cleaner? I tried to Google it and nothing came up.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello, sorry, I just meant Jar as in the dishsoap..:))) Quite a few people use that around here and also when I worked in the jewelry in the US, some people use Ultraderm, a professional hand cleaning cream. Professional mixes can be quite toxic. Everyone has its take on what to use I am sure but Jar has worked great for me so why use something else? I use it as a strong solution 1:1 at the most with not more than half water but even less water can be used. It cleans and degreases great and it is very safe for both humans and jewelry.

Passion4diamonds

Rough_Rock
OVincze|1411450425|3755605 said:
Hello, sorry, I just meant Jar as in the dishsoap..:))) Quite a few people use that around here and also when I worked in the jewelry in the US, some people use Ultraderm, a professional hand cleaning cream. Professional mixes can be quite toxic. Everyone has its take on what to use I am sure but Jar has worked great for me so why use something else? I use it as a strong solution 1:1 at the most with not more than half water but even less water can be used. It cleans and degreases great and it is very safe for both humans and jewelry.
Wonder why I've never heard of it? Thanks so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results