shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help buying an emerald cut engagement ring

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

You are getting a halo. So it's not an easily upgradable setting. So yes, I do think going for the larger stone now, is a good value.

Ultimately though, it's up to you. Either one will make a lovely ring. Either one is what she asked for. She will love either one, because it is from you. There is no wrong choice.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you factor in tax too?

Honestly you said a halo isn't a must, but would be nice

Idget the H with the halo or the 1.5 with a different setting. I would not go 25% over budget for both the 1.5 and the halo.

primetimeseano

Rough_Rock
Yeah, those prices include the sales tax up here in Canada. I really like the setting, so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the big rock. Budgets are just a guideline anyway ;-) If the light performance on one of the smaller diamonds was comparable, maybe that would change my decision, but it seems like the 1.5 is the hands-down winner, and you all agree that it's a solid value. I care about that a lot more than the extra money.

primetimeseano

Rough_Rock
My only concern is whether I've jumped the gun a bit here... JA's return policy is within 60 days, and I won't be proposing until mid-December. I wanted to get this done ahead of time, but ideally it would be nice for my girlfriend to see the ring while there's still time to return it (not that she'd tell me if she didn't like it :lol: ). What do you guys think? Is there any real risk to buying it this far ahead? I would obviously get it insured immediately, and appraised as soon as it arrives.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
primetimeseano|1411058676|3753197 said:
My only concern is whether I've jumped the gun a bit here... JA's return policy is within 60 days, and I won't be proposing until mid-December. I wanted to get this done ahead of time, but ideally it would be nice for my girlfriend to see the ring while there's still time to return it (not that she'd tell me if she didn't like it :lol: ). What do you guys think? Is there any real risk to buying it this far ahead? I would obviously get it insured immediately, and appraised as soon as it arrives.
Well being a lady who love wearing diamonds the sooner the better, let me ask, would it be the end of the world if you proposed within the return period. Sure its earlier but does that ruin a log of plans?

primetimeseano

Rough_Rock
Yeah, it would. We have a trip booked in December, so the date is pretty firm. I have some stuff booked for the specific date.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
primetimeseano|1411060430|3753216 said:
Yeah, it would. We have a trip booked in December, so the date is pretty firm. I have some stuff booked for the specific date.
Well then. Hmm. Are you certain she'll like this? If so, I'd just do it.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's a big purchase, I know, so it's understandable that you're worried. However, since she pointed out a style, and you've found a pretty good version of it from JA, I would feel fairly confident that it'll be loved. If you're really worried, you can propose with the stone in a temporary setting.

primetimeseano

Rough_Rock
I pulled the trigger on the ring with the 1.50 carat diamond yesterday. I'm going to send the wire transfer tomorrow or Friday. Just as an FYI to others that might be using James Allen, I'll save several hundred dollars doing the currency conversion with my bank and paying in U.S. dollars.

primetimeseano

Rough_Rock
Also, I'd really like to thank everyone on here for the advice. One thing I learned quickly is that it's hard to find good, objective information on diamonds. I feel like I ended up getting a ring that's very similar to one that my girlfriend loved that costs upwards of $30,000 in a big-name jewelry store. I wouldn't have gotten that kind of value without the help I received here. It's a great community that I would recommend to all of my friends :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results