shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting an antique cushion: Sholdt's 14k VS 18K RG?

glitterkitteh

Rough_Rock
Thanks to PS, I found out about Love Affair Diamonds and Erica has been amazing to work with. She helped me pick an antique cushion and it definitely was love at first online sight and I can't wait to see it irl. :love:

I picked a setting from Sholdt. However, I need help deciding between 14k or 18k rose gold. Has anyone seen both metals from Sholdt? Any pics/thoughts of the color differences between the two? I'm looking for a shade that is soft and not brassy or coppery.

Stone: 2ct (7.5 x 7.9mm), GIA K color- Erica says it's a cool tone white in the face up view.

Setting: Sholdt 513-1

I found a video here: http://www.igorman.com/item/951
photos found on Flickr:

tia!

r513.jpg

sholdtring.jpg

sholdring2.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen Sholdt's RG, but if you are not wanting brassy or coppery, I would go with 14k. The 14k rg pieces I have are softer and the color is more pink, while my 18k rg pieces are coppery.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1411020651|3752995 said:
I haven't seen Sholdt's RG, but if you are not wanting brassy or coppery, I would go with 14k. The 14k rg pieces I have are softer and the color is more pink, while my 18k rg pieces are coppery.

I agree with armywife. I am not familiar with Sholdt's RG either but in general 14K rose gold is softer and more pink than 18K. Have you asked Erica? She's an expert and I would trust her recommendation and congratulations on your beautiful purchase from her! :appl:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
14k RG for a softer look.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems like I have the opposite experience; I find 14K RG to be more red/brassy/coppery and 18K RG to be a softer blush/peachy colour.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Can't comment on the specific alloy that Sholdt uses, but I also generally prefer 14k RG over the 18K. It is rosier.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would find out which is harder. I know rose gold is a little softer and can scratch easily, so I'd want the hardest alloy possible.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14k is pinker but also more coppery since the copper content is generally higher in 14k than 18k. 18k will be more of a blush/apricot hue.

glitterkitteh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies! The confusion for me is that I've heard both 14k and 18k described as coppery. I'm looking for a soft shade that will blend in with my skin more, putting all the emphasis on the center stone. (I'm light-medium with neutral undertone, mac NC25-30 :).)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gold is naturally yellow and 18k rose is still 75% pure gold, so that is why it will be less coppery than 14k. 14k is only 58% pure gold; the other 42% is comprised of alloys. 18k rose is pretty subtle; some people say they can't tell it's rose until it's put next to a yellow gold piece.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
If the stone has the proverbial thin/very thin girdle that many old diamonds have, that setting may not offer enough protection against chips in the girdle. Something that has a metal ring the whole way around that extends just slightly beyond the edges of the stone would be a good idea. Or has some type of spanners between the prongs.

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock
My vote is for 14K, my ERing is 14K RG and it's a beautiful pinky colour. Both 14 and 18 will be 'coppery' but their very nature (probably why both are described this way).

But 14K is pinker. I'm quite pale (think MAC NC5 if they made it) and 14K works well on my skin, it gives my skin a bit more life. A lot of the jewellery I wear is 14K and I really love the pink colour of it.
I've had my Ering 10 months now? And it's not too badly scratched at all, and I'm REALLY hard on jewellery. Having said that the bit holding the diamond is platinum not RG.
It depends whether you want pink or yellow.
14K = pink
18K = yellow (not actually yellow, but WAY closer to yellow).

I feel like I may have rambled here.

glitterkitteh

Rough_Rock
Stephny691, gorgeous ring! Your pics helped a lot!

glitterkitteh

Rough_Rock
I tried on as much rose gold as possible last weekend and I was surprised to find 14k looked better on my skin so I'm going with that!

Thanks for all the help :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results