shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice please, Tahitian solitaire on omega chain

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I received in the mail today a Tahitian solitaire on a silver omega chain from one of the vendors frequently recommended around these parts.

I am having mixed feelings about the pearl itself. It is perfectly round and spotless, and the lustre seems great (for all I know, and I know nothing, but I can see myself reflected in it, so that would be good, right?). But I can't see much of any overtone to it? It's supposed to be peacock. It is a very shiny, uniform dark "gun metal" grey to my eye. Am I just too used to seeing colour-jacked studio photos of pearls online? It is very, very pretty, and I like this style of necklace a lot. Just not quite what I was expecting colour-wise.

My main concern however is durability of the setting. It is a drilled pearl sliding freely on a metal chain. I had expected there to be some sort of metal finding around the drill hole, like in the picture below. Won't the pearl rub back and forth on the chain as I wear it eventually damaging the nacre around the drill hole? It just looks kind of unfinished to my eye. :(

I am in Canada, so returns aren't easy peasy. I want to make sure that it's not just my expectations being out of whack due to inexperience.

2014-09-16_15.jpg
2014-09-16_15_0.jpg
Mine.

tnro__1_.jpg
Setting with metal protecting pearl around drill hole.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi EvangelineG - I can't answer your question about how a pearl on an omega chain should be finished. But, I can tell you that you are seeing the body color of the Tahitian, which most often is some shade of grey. All Tahitians do this in certain lighting. You need to look at the pearl in different lighting to see if the color changes. To see any overtones that might be present, it is best to look at the pearl in a shallow white box in filtered natural light (say next to a window, but not in direct sun).

Good luck, and I hope your pearl turns out to be a pretty one. :wavey:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Pearls are strange creatures. I suggest you look at it at different times of day in different lighting. I suspect it will look like a slightly different color each time. Tahitians are especially tricky to pinpoint color-wise, which is why many people love them. "Chameleon" is the word often used for Tahitians.

Let us know what you think over the next several days of living with the little devil.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with Fly girl and bsomio. In addition, when looking at or photographing pearls, try a white background. Black background does not bring out the best in a Tahitian, imho.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't want this style without the sleeve inside the hole protecting either. I would contact the seller and discuss it with them. They will have to remove this pearl from the omega to do the work if this is the only one in stock, so why not ask for another choice of pearls.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't want the drill holes unprotected either. As for the pearl, peacock overtones can range from subtle (ie nonexistent except under very specific light conditions) to intense (where it is visible in many lights, but still not likely to be that obvious in direct sunlight). Most Tahitians have pretty subtle overtones, so with a grey body colour, they are going to look gun metal grey in most lights. Sometimes you can find different colour body colours (dark green was a common colour during the last PP Tahitian sale), or intense overtones that will make the pearl look green, blue, Aubergine and the like, but mostly Tahitians will look grey.

If you are unhappy though, you should send it back. Canada customs has a form for getting a refund on your duty, so in the end you will be out shipping and whatever you lose on the exchange rate.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I have 3 of these type of necklaces, 1 with a sleeve and 2 without. When I purchased my first one from TPO years ago without the sleeve I was told by John that because the pearl doesn't move that much the pearl would be fine without it. I guess if you wore it everyday and played with it there would be damage but I've had no problem with mine. I agree with others that you should look at the pearl in different light and if you don't see peacock you need to return it for a more intense overtone.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Flygirl, Bsomlo, YC and CMD2014 for the advice about the overtones! I had mostly been looking at it in the black velvet box that it came in. I took it for a walk outside, but again, on the black background. So I took it out this morning and looked at it against a white background and my skin (which is very fair) in a variety of lights, and I am liking it more all the time. I took it into my bathroom under the vanity lights which really make diamonds sparkle like crazy, and POP, there were the rose and green tones I had been hoping for. It is definitely a pearl with subtle rather than overt overtones, but it is lovely. I am going to live with for a few days, as suggested, before making any choices about returning it.

Thanks for the advice Nacrelover. I will contact the seller regarding my durability concerns and see what they have to say.

And thank you Pkinnew, this is exactly what I needed. I won't be wearing the necklace everyday, probably a few times a week at most if it ends up being a favourite, and I'm not given to playing with my necklaces while on (fingerprints! noooo! ;-) ), so I should be good. Thank you for sharing your experience. I do really like this style of necklace!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Okay, and now we need a neck shot (or two or three)!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Evangeline', As you notice most don't string pearls on wire. It can enlarge drill holes and saw into the nacre. This pearl will be constantly rolling on the neck as you wear it. Also, it just looks unfinished. It would be a deal breaker to me if they refuse.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
2014-09-17_09.jpg

Morning pajama neck shot. :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only consider using a nylon or other non-metal cord without drill hole protectors on the pearl for this style of necklace.

As for the overtone of the pearl itself, I can see peacock, and would consider it as light peacock overtone, based on the owner's pics attached.

DK :))

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
i love this style Evangeline, it reminds me of a surfers choker but less casual and more feminine.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
I just looked at the vendor's website and I don't know which one you ordered but i think you got this- Tahitian Pearl Mounted on a Cable Wire Necklace- which doesn't have the slider thingy but not as expensive. I hope you didn't pay for the omega chain but got the cable wire instead.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
That looks really lovely on you.

Why not get a "protected" pearl with stronger overtones? The style certainly suits you!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Nacrelover and dk168, I am thinking you are right. I wore the necklace yesterday, and on my neck the pearl does migrate to the side and need to be adjusted throughout the day. This means the pearl is most definitely sliding against metal, and will likely get damaged over time. I think it has to go back.

Bailey1856- I think the vendor you are referring to is tahitianpearls.biz and this item?
http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace/tahitian-pearl-on-gold-wire-necklace-tncs.htm
That isn't the vendor or the item, but I am wondering if it was an oversight in not using the protectors. I am hesitant to name the vendor before I have contacted them directly (my H is insisting on doing his since the necklace was a little gift from him, so I am waiting on his schedule), and given them a chance to make good customer service-wise. Just seems unfair. What I have is an AAA tahitian round on a sterling silver omega chain. And thanks, I like the look of this style too. I figured it would be a nice casual, subtle way to wear a pearl.

And thanks Bsomlo. I am not sure if I am going to stick with this style. The stiffness of the omega chain is slightly irritating after wearing it for awhile. I might just go for a tahitian drop pendant to wear on an existing WG chain. If I could snag one of the ones from PP's sale with the strong overtones, then I think I would be very happy... I guess we will see.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Oh, if it's not comfortable, don't wear that style! You can find another style that is both beautiful and comfortable.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - I've seen necklaces similar to yours offered for sale both with the metal liner and without - if your husband purchased it, is he able to confirm from the vendor pic/item sku that he did select a necklace without the pearl metal liner? If that is what he bought, I am not sure what you are looking for in terms of customer service from the vendor - i.e., if you want a metal liner, are you willing to pay for that upgrade and return shipping etc.?

Or, perhaps I've misunderstood, and your husband did purchase the necklace with pearl metal liner but was mistakenly shipped the necklace without liner? If so, I am sure a reputable vendor will put things right with you.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Marymm,

There was no reference to the necklace either having or not having the liner in the listing, and no side shots that showed the bare drill hole, but I don't think anything has been willfully misrepresented. It was my husband and my own inexperience which led us to not asking about a liner. What I don't care for is something being sold that seems to be designed in such a way as to damage the pearl over time. I am unhappy that we will be out shipping costs and exchange etc. when I need to return because of a durability issue, not an aesthetic one, but thems the breaks when shopping from Canada. I am not sure what, if anything, would be reasonable to expect from the vendor. I was simply refraining from mentioning the vendor at all until we have spoken to them directly about our dissatisfaction, because that only seems fair.

It seems this type of necklace is commonly sold without the liner, so I guess the pearl isn't about to crumble away in a week or two. Still, the idea that just wearing it around my neck can damage it makes me uncomfortable. I didn't buy it to leave it in the box. :(sad

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
My apologies, your pictures look like from tahitianpearls.biz :oops:

Is the pearl removable? I wonder if you can send back just the pearl and exchanged it one with a liner and a stronger overtone. That way you don't have to worry about the chain breaking and might be less expensive to send back (if you haven't changed your mind about the style). i was considering getting one of those that has a removable end so i can wear different pearls with it but now that you mentioned it's not too comfortable i'm having second thoughts. It looks really pretty though.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
No worries. I was being purposely vague about the vendor. Just didn't want to besmirch anybody on the interwebs if I am just being fussy or naive. I've got to use this PS power for good not evil I reckon. ;-)

And I am the type of person who cuts the tags off all my clothes and wouldn't be caught dead in wool, so me finding the stiffness of the omega chain slightly uncomfortable is not necessarily typical. YMMV The chain on this one does unscrew at one end so you could add or remove pearls. Interesting idea just sending the pearl back on it's own. Unfortunately I think shipping would still run about the same, but I will look into it.

My H talked to the vendor last night, and they were very nice, but I think he just confused the heck out of them. :lol: :roll: I am sure we will get it sorted though.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
EvangelineG -- High five to cutting tags off and shuddering at the idea of wool touching your skin! I am the exact same way -- super sensitive skin! And don't even talk to me about sunshine. The way I avoid having it touch my skin -- you'd think I was a vampire.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Evangeline, This is such a refreshing thread to read. I agree with you. Your a class act.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
EvangelineG|1411045085|3753093 said:
2014-09-17_09.jpg

Morning pajama neck shot. :)

Holy cow, that is pretty!!

I've never seen on in a neckshot before, and I'm thinking I should get one . . . :Up_to_something:

Gorgeous!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1411140690|3753761 said:
EvangelineG -- High five to cutting tags off and shuddering at the idea of wool touching your skin! I am the exact same way -- super sensitive skin! And don't even talk to me about sunshine. The way I avoid having it touch my skin -- you'd think I was a vampire.

:lol: I can relate to this very much. The last time I had a "tan" I think I was about 19yo!

Nacrelover, aw thanks. Just trying to be sensitive to the fact that it is real people with real businesses and homes and families behind these internet stores.

And thanks Ilander. You should totally get one! But with the little metal bits around the drill hole... ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results