shape
carat
color
clarity

Why the Low Price?

Steve27

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if someone could help me with why this diamond is 10 percent plus below all of the similar loose diamonds (very good cut/j/vs2 though this one has the slightly thick girdle and excellent polish and symmetry where other more expensive diamonds were only very good or good). I went ahead and ordered the stone knowing I can return it, and didn't want to miss out on it. I am concerned about the inclusions not being face up eye clean, even though it is gia vs2. Is there something obviously wrong that I am missing out on that should make me cancel the order? Or is this a case of no way of knowing without ideal scope and high quality pictures? Worth the gamble anyway?

This is going in a platinum 4 prong setting.

http://www.bluenile.com/certs/1179591446.pdf?params=cHJvZHVjdD1CTiZwaG9uZT04ODgtNTY1LTc2NDEmbGluaz1odHRwJTNBJTJGJTJGd3d3LmJsdWVuaWxlLmNvbSUyRl9MRDA0NjU3OTU5JnNrdT1MRDA0NjU3OTU5JmxhYj1naWEmY3VycmVuY3k9VVNEJg%3D%3D

Thanks for your help!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'd say its hard to say without a picture of the stone. Hopefully at a VS2 it is eye-clean. Come back and post pics when you
get it. Hope it turns out to be a nice stone at a good price.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I notice there are lots of facets (more chevrons I believe is the term) on the pavillion, so it is not showing a conventional princess cut shape, don't know if this would be a reason for reduction in price? A princess cut usually has large chevron facets in a cross on the pavillion, on this stone the cross pattern is there but has large narrow chevron facets. Wonder if the thick girdle means the facets are put on the stone further down (just a silly thought probably not correct).

sturgeon123456

Rough_Rock
Pyramid|1410210626|3747217 said:
I notice there are lots of facets (more chevrons I believe is the term) on the pavillion, so it is not showing a conventional princess cut shape, don't know if this would be a reason for reduction in price? A princess cut usually has large chevron facets in a cross on the pavillion, on this stone the cross pattern is there but has large narrow chevron facets. Wonder if the thick girdle means the facets are put on the stone further down (just a silly thought probably not correct).

2-4 Chevrons is pretty standard with princess cuts, above 4 is more rare. This one has 4 so it's still a fairly standard cut. More chevrons equals smaller pinfire, less equals chunkier light return for lack of better terminology. I prefer, 2 or 3 but in larger princess stones 3ct up 4 or more chevrons can be quite sharp

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
^ I was going to say the same. There are variations, and that's bezel corner, 4 chevrons, from what I've looked up about princess cuts.

It's a J color, so I would question whether it's closer to K. A J princess will show quite a bit of warmth / color, to my eyes. I'd ask how tinted it looks.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Blue Nile is selling the stone on behalf of some unnamed 3rd party. That’s who set the price. BN just applied their markup and listed the ad. They’ve never seen it and their part of the pricing probably wasn’t even done by a human. Why would that seller be comparatively cheap? There can be several reasons, many of which aren’t gemological in nature. They need the money. They’ve got too many stones like that in inventory. They already tried to sell it at a higher price and couldn’t get it. It’s effectively on ‘sale’. Stones like that are doing badly for them and they want to invest their capital in something else. You’re right to be suspicious but sometimes a deal is just a deal.

Steve27

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick responses!

I tried doing my homework, including weeks/months of browsing this forum, and thought that I was on the right track. I have seen many gia j princess cuts in person and the color is good to me. Hopefully this is no exception. The 4 chevrons vs 3 (or 2) on this size stone is what I was also seeing in person, so that wasn't a concern, or at least not to me. The slightly thick girdle is what research told me to use in the 4 prong setting.

Denver appraiser,
Your post both worries me and relieves my concerns at the same time. I was not aware of the wholesale/drop ship structure of bluenile, though it does make sense. I hope it is as simple as someone looking to unload inventory. For what it's worth, I did look at the other recommended e sites, as well as many diamonds in person.

I'll post pictures when it arrives and go from there. So far, I see no reason to completely cancel the order, but if someone does see something obviously wrong or out of the norm, please let me know!

Thanks again.

Steve27

Rough_Rock
To my relief the stone was as expected. It is a j, no middle grade j low grade j or high grade j, it has a slight tint that is barely noticeable in certain lighting. It is exactly as expected when it comes to color. The scintillation is fantastic. The fire and brilliance are surprisingly good, but in line with the stones that I have seen in person. They aren't phenomenal, but they are very good. All in all, I am happy with the stone and the price paid and it will stay around.

My phone camera is being a pain, but is there anything noticeably bad that I should reconsider? I'm not opposed to sending it back at the suggestion of others.

**edited by moderator, please upload photos to forum directly**

Steve27

Rough_Rock
Let me try the picture one more time. My only current concern is the color, though it's not a concern that I would send it back over. Anything else before making this the final decision?

Nevermind will try the picture again later.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steve27|1410897232|3752048 said:
Let me try the picture one more time. My only current concern is the color, though it's not a concern that I would send it back over. Anything else before making this the final decision?
Nevermind will try the picture again later.
FYI, we are not allowed to post externally-hosted pics, like on photobucket, flickr, imageshack, etc.

You must upload the pic to Pricescope by clicking on the tab below for 'upload attachment' and following instructions.

That way when people delete their externally-hosted pics PS members don't have to see this.
The pic is forever available to us.

screen_shot_2014-09-16_at_1.png

Steve27

Rough_Rock
Now that I'm on a desktop, this should work a bit better. It looks a bit whiter in person as well, but as I said, it does still have a barely noticeable tint.

bebfc7ff-4438-4d92-8a99-ec8c02f50261_zpsd6380eab.jpg

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
wow, that looks pretty, I bet it really sparkles! People won't be concerned by any warmth cause they will be too blinded by the sparkle.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice, looks like you've done well! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results