thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see more photos!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi friends,

This image shows the beginning of the cutting process on the pavilion side of Octavia.
This section is the most critical. you can clearly notice Octavia is starting to get more of a symmetry look and feel. but we are still in the balancing stage.
At this stage we were gently cutting Diamond material while taking account the feather (circled) depth which surprised us.
We focused on balancing Octavia while minimizing the feather depth and trying to stay within our initial planning.

pavilionstartx2_0.png

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
You know you can post more than one pic at a time, don't you??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Andelain|1410877411|3751828 said:
You know you can post more than one pic at a time, don't you??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Ok, here is another quick blue one. :naughty:
...and you get a good visual of the feather.
Please bear with me, I am limited with time but will keep adding more images soon.

imagepavup_suction.png

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
This is SO exciting! I feel humbled to be able to see this level of craftsmanship this close up. Thank you Yoram.

DF, other than that miniscule invisible feather, it looks like your stone is flawless!!! Do you plan on wearing this every day? I probably wouldn't be able to get any work done with that masterpiece anywhere nearby! :cheeky:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem|1410875992|3751806 said:
Hi friends,

This image shows the beginning of the cutting process on the pavilion side of Octavia.
This section is the most critical. you can clearly notice Octavia is starting to get more of a symmetry look and feel. but we are still in the balancing stage.
At this stage we were gently cutting Diamond material while taking account the feather (circled) depth which surprised us.
We focused on balancing Octavia while minimizing the feather depth and trying to stay within our initial planning.

pavilionstartx2_0.png

What does minimize feather depth mean?
Do you avoid polishing close to the feather so the feather doesn't reach the final surface, or try to polish the feather completely away?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SandyinAnaheim|1410889919|3751968 said:
This is SO exciting! I feel humbled to be able to see this level of craftsmanship this close up. Thank you Yoram.

DF, other than that miniscule invisible feather, it looks like your stone is flawless!!! Do you plan on wearing this every day? I probably wouldn't be able to get any work done with that masterpiece anywhere nearby! :cheeky:
Yes, if everything work out.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re the feather, I was thinking it meant to be careful polishing around it so that it doesn't tear down any further, as they were
speaking before about not being able to see the depth of the feather as it grooves into the diamond? Like the feather itself cutting new territory? I am thinking the feather is in a cleavage direction. Like between the layers of an onion from what I have learned on here before.

This is the post below by Serg.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Serg|1407744260|3730088 said:
kenny|1406832955|3723899 said:
Thanks for the pics, Yoram, Jonathan, and DF. :clap:

I think it is fascinating and awesome to see in-pocess pics as the facets are being polished.

Question for anyone with expertise:
Could the feather have been a surprise because those windows (polished onto the rough early, as shown in the pic below) only permitted a view of the feather from the wrong angle, or an angle that 'hides' the feather ... much like viewing a piece of paper from the side?
Or is there some light-bending property of diamond that can make inclusions in certain locations hard to spot given only a few small windows on the diamond's frosty surface.

Kenny,

such windows are enough to allocate the crack with good enough precision if cutter uses special hardware and software.
But crack may grooving during cutting process .
the result depends from skills and technologies for planing, sawing, bruiting .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1410907564|3752159 said:
Serg|1407744260|3730088 said:
kenny|1406832955|3723899 said:
Thanks for the pics, Yoram, Jonathan, and DF. :clap:

I think it is fascinating and awesome to see in-pocess pics as the facets are being polished.

Question for anyone with expertise:
Could the feather have been a surprise because those windows (polished onto the rough early, as shown in the pic below) only permitted a view of the feather from the wrong angle, or an angle that 'hides' the feather ... much like viewing a piece of paper from the side?
Or is there some light-bending property of diamond that can make inclusions in certain locations hard to spot given only a few small windows on the diamond's frosty surface.

Kenny,

such windows are enough to allocate the crack with good enough precision if cutter uses special hardware and software.
But crack may grooving during cutting process .
the result depends from skills and technologies for planing, sawing, bruiting .

What is grooving?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like autocorrect ruining the work 'grow' :lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yoram can smack me if I am wrong but I believe what he is saying that the feather was deeper in the stone than expected location wise and to keep it from being visible and impacting the clarity grade how deep inside it went on the finished stone had to be worked out.
The deeper in the stones it was the more chance of it being visible and it also impacts the clarity grade from the lab.
On the other hand you don't want it on the surface either so you have to control where it ends up in the finished stone as much as you can.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Karl.
Funny Octavia/doggie illustration Yoram. :lol:

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
:love: :love: :love:

This thread has been so fascinating. DF, I'm truly excited for you. Welcome to the Octavia club! Mine is a nice SI1 and actually has a little feather in the pavilion as well. It's completely unnoticeable and when I had it appraised, it took my appraiser forever to find it. I LOVE my diamond and I hope you love yours too! The longer I wear it, the more enamored with it I become.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cygnet|1410930249|3752340 said:
:love: :love: :love:

This thread has been so fascinating. DF, I'm truly excited for you. Welcome to the Octavia club! Mine is a nice SI1 and actually has a little feather in the pavilion as well. It's completely unnoticeable and when I had it appraised, it took my appraiser forever to find it. I LOVE my diamond and I hope you love yours too! The longer I wear it, the more enamored with it I become.
I am not a member yet, but Kenny should start one now... :appl: How many PSer own an Octavia?.. :read:

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1410894647|3752022 said:
DiaGem|1410875992|3751806 said:
Hi friends,

pavilionstartx2_0.png

What does minimize feather depth mean?
Do you avoid polishing close to the feather so the feather doesn't reach the final surface, or try to polish the feather completely away?
Meaning how deep it reaches within the material itself.
The objective in this specific case was to minimize its size as much as possible while staying within our original estimated cutting plans.
The position of the feather was in favorable visual location (e.g. after completion its hardly noticeable with a loupe looking at its face up position).
With some creative planning, we could have probably polished the feather out before reaching the 2 carat mark.

Here is a collage showing the feather evolving through part of the process.

featherevolvement.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram, Thanks for the new pics can't wait to see next group of pics.. :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yoram, thanks for the cool pics.

So you're not actually minimizing the feather.
Nature established its extent and location.
You're carefully placing the facets to minimize the feather's visibility in the face-up view to get the best clarity grade and maximum eye-cleanness.
Right?

What's the final carat weight?

I realize color and clarity won't be official till graded by the lab but are you willing to offer an educated guess on the finished stone?

No problem if you prefer to wait for the lab results.
Just asking. ;-)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1410980249|3752601 said:
Yoram, thanks for the cool pics.

So you're not actually minimizing the feather.
Nature established its extent and location.
You're carefully placing the facets to minimize the feather's visibility in the face-up view to get the best clarity grade and maximum eye-cleanness.
Right?

What's the final carat weight?

I realize color and clarity won't be official till graded by the lab but are you willing to offer an educated guess on the finished stone?

No problem if you prefer to wait for the lab results.
Just asking. ;-)
Hello Kenny,

Please forgive me but since the subject is DF's Octavia, I will allow him the honor to reveal its final outcome if he chooses to.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Yoram. :)
I respect your courtesy.

Hi DF. :wavey: :whistle:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1410985443|3752650 said:
Thanks Yoram. :)
I respect your courtesy.

Hi DF. :wavey: :whistle:
Kenny...I don't have any more information than what has already been posted on this thread. I don't even know the weight of the stone...
Idunno1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Df, sorry I'm so nosey.
I get carried away.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF it's Dazzling!
Just stunning!

Do you want me to upload some of those pics here?
Ella may delete your link since it is externally-hosted pic, pesky forum policies and all that. :???:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1411103471|3753565 said:
DF it's Dazzling!
Just stunning!

Do you want me to upload some of them here?
Ella may delete your link since it is externally-hosted pics.

Please do, because dropbox is blocked over here. :rodent:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics..not very glamour Jon must be tire... :lol:

dsc01252.jpg

dsc01249.jpg

dsc01253.jpg

_22545.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF,

Absolutely beautiful :love: :love: :love:
Congrats. :appl: :appl: :appl:

So did you decide on a mounting yet?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, how did you feel when you first saw the pics?

What does Mrs. DF say?
You did tell her about this, didn't you?
Or, will she find out when she notices it on your finger?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1411104825|3753573 said:
DF,

Absolutely beautiful :love: :love: :love:
Congrats. :appl: :appl: :appl:

So did you decide on a mounting yet?
I will decide when it comes back from AGS.. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results