shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help designing Sea of Cortez 3-pearl pendant, please

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I bought 3 SoC pearls at the Ruckus, and I am very excited to wear them, but first I have to choose a design. The largest pearl is 12.6 mm, and the other 2 are 9-9.5 mm.

The first question is color of gold. Hisano said rose gold would bring out the soft pink overtone more, while white or yellow gold will keep the look more on the cool side. I like all 3 shades of gold. I wear white gold or platinum most often, but am open to something different. I already have white and yellow gold chains in multiple lengths, but would have to buy a rose gold chain if I go that way. I do love cool blue tones, but the pink coloration of SoC pearls is unique.

The second question is the style of the setting. I want to have small diamonds separating the pearls. My original thought was diamonds in bezels, since I love bezels, but I have seen a couple of pendants with prong set diamonds that look very nice too. It would be great if the setting of the top diamond would let the chain slide through, but a bale or jump ring can be added if necessary.

Here are the pearls:

Setting with 3 bezeled diamonds (it looks like the chain goes through the setting of the top diamond):

3 prong-set diamonds, with the prongs set in NSWE positions (again, it looks like the chain passes through the top diamond setting w/o needing a separate bale):

Bale with diamond set in it and 2 diamonds set with 3 prongs each:

How would you set these pearls?

ruckus_2014_soc_1.jpg

3_pearl_3_bezel_diamonds_tara.jpg

3_pearl_mikimoto.jpg

3_pearl__8-11mm__3_prong_diamond__033_ctw__tara.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Re: Need help designing Sea of Cortez 3-pearl pendant, pleas

If I decide to go with bezeled diamonds and a bale is required, I could use something like one of these:

kgh_h003r__0.jpg

kgh_h004g-ek__0.jpg

kgh_h007r__0.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

Kay,
I can't type much here right now due to where I am. PP has the Aura bale that is similar to the one from Tara Pearls' picture (the top bale, not the diamond connectors). That is what I used for my SoC pearls. The bale can accomodate thin chain only, which I didn't realize when I picked it out. I wanted to use the pendant with my 1mm snake chain and Omega chain. I was so disappointed when I received the pendant. My snake chain has a lobster clasp and the female end tab makes it even wider than 1mm+ so it cannot be thread through the opening. I took it to a local jeweler to make an extension of the top and bottom horizontal bars to widen that space (by some kind of laser process which did not require removal of pearl due to no torch was involved). Will post pictures later today or the next few days.

I thought I'd let you know this before making the decision. I paid $46 for the repair.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a lovely project, Kay! How fun to be setting your Ruckus pearls :appl: .

I like the Mikimoto prong set diamond one. It flows nicely and lets the pearls be the focus.

mapo

Shiny_Rock

I agree with baby nurse. I like the mikimoto setting best. it really does let the pearls speak for themselves. and the SOC are so precious..... :love:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm a big fan of the mikimoto pearls in motion setting, so I'd go for an asymmetrical Y look with 2 smaller pearls on the sides at different positions and the larger pearl at the bottom of the Y.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have seen a 3-pearl pendant with marquise diamonds instead of round ones, and thought it was nice.

Can't find the pic now.

DK :))

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock

Aura bale after repair. The top and bottom bars connecting the two circles were lengthened to make the opening wider. Snake chain = 1.4mm. End tab makes it even wider than that.

soc_pendant_2014_copy.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I would consider making the pearls removable, so that the larger pearl could be worn alone. That would increase the versatility a lot: wear all three together, just the smaller pearl, just the larger or just the largest and smallest pearl.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

No thoughts on the design yet, Kay, but I wanted to drop in to thank you for publishing a picture of that big SoC drop that I admired so much over the hood of the Tesla. :cheeky: :love: :mrgreen:

Simply gorgeous pearls that you have there. :wavey: :appl:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

I have to laugh when I think of us doing pearl deals over the hood of a car :naughty:

Kay

Ideal_Rock

Lady_Disdain|1407972938|3731858 said:
I would consider making the pearls removable, so that the larger pearl could be worn alone. That would increase the versatility a lot: wear all three together, just the smaller pearl, just the larger or just the largest and smallest pearl.

That's a cool idea. How would you make them removable?

Kay

Ideal_Rock

Fly Girl|1407973494|3731865 said:
No thoughts on the design yet, Kay, but I wanted to drop in to thank you for publishing a picture of that big SoC drop that I admired so much over the hood of the Tesla. :cheeky: :love: :mrgreen:

Simply gorgeous pearls that you have there. :wavey: :appl:

Thank you. I do love that big, juicy drop. Once I ascertained that the lovelies in HHPmom's baggie were already taken, the big drop was the next item that caught my eye.

Kay

Ideal_Rock

4Ranch Girl|1407984456|3731982 said:
I have to laugh when I think of us doing pearl deals over the hood of a car :naughty:

I know. That was my introduction to the Ruckus. I walked up the driveway to the mansion, bags in hand, greeted a few people, saw that gorgeous SoC pearls were being displayed on the Tesla, and immediately dived in to make my first purchase before I even stepped foot through the mansion doors. It was a great start to an amazing weekend. (I checked off my #1 purchase goal for the Ruckus in the first 10 minutes.) :dance:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful pearls, Kay!!

Ok- I would do a soft rose gold which I think would compliment the shading in the pearls nicely. I would also do delicate milgrain bezeled diamonds, although you really can't go wrong with any of the choices you've shown. =)

Kay

Ideal_Rock

HHPmom, thanks for the warning. I will make sure to ask that the bale used can accommodate my chains. Your pendant is beautiful – I would love to see more pictures!

Dk168, I do love marquise diamonds – my e-ring is a solitaire marquise. I also remember seeing a Tiffany setting where a small round diamond was set in a marquise shaped metal setting.

Baby Monster, the Mikimoto pearls in motion setting is very cool. I am trying to picture it with just 3 pearls. The cool thing about that setting is that I could always add more pearls later.

Pink Jewel, rose gold and miligrained bezels would be a very pretty look. I think I want to stay a little more sleek/modern with this pendant, so I am more likely to use smooth bezels, but the rose gold would be lovely either way.

Baby Nurse and Mapo, I do really like that the Mikimoto prong set diamonds in white gold let the pearls be the stars, with just a little sparkle connecting them. The pearls in that setting are 8, 8.5 and 9 mm, with .13 ctw of diamonds. I wonder what size diamonds would look best with my 9-12.5 mm pearls. I’m guessing somewhere in the range of 5-8 pts per diamond.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

oops

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

Although this bezeled diamond is on a chain- maybe it will help with dimensions? Hisano made these for me last Christmas-they were a gift for my sister. The diamonds are .05 if I remember correctly and the pearls are 11 to 12mm.

_21359.jpg

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock

What a fun project! Your SoC pearls are so gorgeous and I think the Mikimoto setting would add just a little sparkle but would not detract from the pearls. No matter what design you chose I wish it was already done so I could see neck shots!!!

Kay

Ideal_Rock

This project got delayed a bit. I've been communicating with Hisano about setting the pearls like the Mikimoto pendant. I had hoped the top diamond setting could be made deep enough to allow chains to be switched out (since I have several WG chains in different lengths and want to be able to adjust my chain lengths for different outfits). Unfortunately that setting design will require the chain to be fixed to the pendant, unless I want to add a small ring at the top. So now I have to figure out what size and style of chain to use.

I think the Mikmoto setting would probably look best in WG, so the white diamonds and WG blend together. I am still tempted by rose gold too, more likely in the bezeled diamonds design. Just for kicks, I did a quick paste up job in Paint to show how the SoC pearls would look in my 2 favorite settings.

Mikimoto setting:

Tara setting (picture it with rose gold instead of YG):

3_pearl_mikimoto__ps2_.jpg

tara_bezel.png

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock

Hi Roomie :) Your Cortez pearls are so lovely! (How did I miss that whole Tesla deal? My own Cortez are the rejects no one else wanted ... I think of them as my orphans and I love them LOL) I don't think you can go wrong here no matter what you choose; both your last options will be very nice. My 2 cents is: If you are resigned to a setting with a fixed chain due to bail size, and won't be switching out your own existing white or yellow gold chains, then maybe this is the opportunity to try the rose gold you're tempted by? Lots of luck; can't wait to see what you finally decide; it will be gorgeous :)

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock

Personally, I prefer the mikimoto with WG.

CRD -- Douglas brought no rejects!!! You are a lucky woman to own any of his pearls.

juliebeth

Shiny_Rock

my vote - mikimoto setting with YG (i do love that!) or RG (which could be amazing!). the colored gold lets the diamonds come out and play, too, in their own way, and sets off the pearls spectacularly!

krissy7

Shiny_Rock

Hi bsomlo....Just adding my very inexperienced opinion.....I would strongly consider rose gold. Although it is remotely not the same thing, not so long ago I made my first PP purchase and it was a tin cup style bracelet in rose gold with blue akoya baroque pearls. I was really happy with the combination. I think rose gold with the pearls you have would be similarly complementary.

krissy7

Shiny_Rock

and I could really have no idea what I'm talking about, but I think a rose gold pendant could look good on a white gold necklace temporarily until you find a rose gold chain that you love.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock

bsomlo, oh, so true; rest assured I know how lucky I am to have any Sea of Cortez pearls :) I was surprised there were ANY left by the time I got to them ... and I still had a hard time choosing as they were all gorgeous! I so look forward to what Sarah is creating with mine; it will be a while yet, as it's small, delicate and needs some creative time.

Can't wait to see what Kay decides here ... such fun kinds of dilemmas to have!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the Mikimoto setting with the WG. I really like how the WG brings out the cool tones of the blue pearls.

krissy7

Shiny_Rock

krissy7|1410915169|3752227 said:
Hi bsomlo....Just adding my very inexperienced opinion.....I would strongly consider rose gold. Although it is remotely not the same thing, not so long ago I made my first PP purchase and it was a tin cup style bracelet in rose gold with blue akoya baroque pearls. I was really happy with the combination. I think rose gold with the pearls you have would be similarly complementary.

Duh, I meant to write Kay, sorry I mixed up! Everyone has such beautiful new pieces they have posted recently I guess I lose track.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock

We knew who you meant! Smile.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock

Wow- personally I love the rose gold as I feel that rose gold could potentially bring out blue. Though you won't go wrong either way. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results