shape
carat
color
clarity

What's going on with DanielM?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is so depressing. I can't believe you lovely people are still struggling to get your items made. It's just NOT on.

If they have health issues, children and full time jobs then they shouldn't be accepting new jobs AND they should have a note on their website saying they can't take on more work until the backlog has been complete. It's not rocket science.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
LD, I couldn't agreed with you more.

Some good news, I guess, is I finally got my deposit back minus the $2.69 cut PayPal took. I went through them yesterday and heard nothing, so this morning I did a Request Money and had it a few hours later. I would say my chances of getting my stones back are slim to none.

This whole thing has left me pissed off and sad because I really used to like working with them. They have lost me as a customer.

koolchicken, deskjockey, CaraMish and any others, I'm afraid you're going to have to turn into the biggest pests in the world to get your stuff back.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Really don't like hearing that. :( I am not good at being a pest. Heck I felt really bad just returning things I don't like to stores. Apologetic even, guess I need to get over that.

The only good news is that in a worst case scenario the $ value of the stones he has is pretty low. One is nearly worthless, though the ring may have some gold value. The other was almost tossed as "fish gravel" by Jerry N. (but I like it which is what matters) I have a really hard time thinking the worst of people, though. ugh.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
deskjockey said:
I have a really hard time thinking the worst of people, though. ugh.
So do I, DJ -- especially of people who were so talented & dependable. This makes me terribly sad. Hope you get your money back, everyone, and stones, equally important.

--- Laurie

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
It probably didn't help that I never set a hard date for when I needed this by - I recently did and received word back I'd have it in time for that date. Hopefully that will work out, if we pass it then I will have to grow a spine I suppose.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I can't believe this.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1410893300|3752005 said:
LD, I couldn't agreed with you more.

Some good news, I guess, is I finally got my deposit back minus the $2.69 cut PayPal took. I went through them yesterday and heard nothing, so this morning I did a Request Money and had it a few hours later. I would say my chances of getting my stones back are slim to none.

This whole thing has left me pissed off and sad because I really used to like working with them. They have lost me as a customer.

koolchicken, deskjockey, CaraMish and any others, I'm afraid you're going to have to turn into the biggest pests in the world to get your stuff back.

Again, just UGH. I really hope you guys get your stones back!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot believe what some of you had/have to endure. This is beyond imagination. I truly hope that it will turn out well in the end.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't understand why Daniel and Caren would keep their customers stones if they are not setting them as promised? It cannot be that time consuming or difficult to just mail them back? Especially because it seems as if they are going to the post office to send out some of their finally completed projects. And can someone explain why all their reviews are still 5 star reviews? Potential customers have no clue what they might be getting themselves into. :blackeye:

Sending lots of dust for everyone to get their stones back at least!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1410952096|3752406 said:
I just don't understand why Daniel and Caren would keep their customers stones if they are not setting them as promised? It cannot be that time consuming or difficult to just mail them back? Especially because it seems as if they are going to the post office to send out some of their finally completed projects. And can someone explain why all their reviews are still 5 star reviews? Potential customers have no clue what they might be getting themselves into. :blackeye:

Sending lots of dust for everyone to get their stones back at least!

Wondering about the review issue as well. I myself have a shop on Etsy and know the horror stories of disgruntled customers just from reading the support forums. If people aren't happy the reviews will tell you! And really, how difficult is it to fire off a 60 second email or heck, beg a friend to do it for you? It is possible they already spent the money and are in too deep, but I have to say this is one of the most bizarre crash and burns by a once hailed jeweler I have ever experienced. It sounds like they need to lawyer up- and fast :sick:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Perceptive post, Elliott. I wonder what may be going on with clients we don't know about too, non-PSers.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was looking at the posts that come up on the sidebar when I click on this thread. There are numerous threads extolling what they've done in the past.........However, it's just this one that is current and paints a totally different experience---which is the current one. So sorry for those that still have money and stones in their possession............grrrrrr!!!!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
The reason there's no negative reviews is Etsy only gives you 60 days to leave it. We've all been so busy being nice and giving them the benefit of the doubt, the time period for filing complaints is long gone.

I've discussed this with my friend with the at-home business and my mom (one of the items was supposed to be her Mother's Day present) and none of us can figure it out. Someone earlier in the thread suggested maybe their problems weren't really health related; maybe it was divorce instead. All of it makes no sense whatsoever. At this point I will never use them again; even if they sent me the finished items for free with the world's biggest apology. :(( :nono: :angryfire:

And like I said yesterday, those of you with jobs still out, you're going to have to become their worst nightmare. Grow a pair and demand your stones/money back and jobs finished. The time for being nice is over.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I wondered about divorce too, Texasj. Guess it isn't my business. Mother's Day present??? Yike! That's crazy!

--- Laurie

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1410965765|3752484 said:
The reason there's no negative reviews is Etsy only gives you 60 days to leave it. We've all been so busy being nice and giving them the benefit of the doubt, the time period for filing complaints is long gone.

I've discussed this with my friend with the at-home business and my mom (one of the items was supposed to be her Mother's Day present) and none of us can figure it out. Someone earlier in the thread suggested maybe their problems weren't really health related; maybe it was divorce instead. All of it makes no sense whatsoever. At this point I will never use them again; even if they sent me the finished items for free with the world's biggest apology. :(( :nono: :angryfire:

And like I said yesterday, those of you with jobs still out, you're going to have to become their worst nightmare. Grow a pair and demand your stones/money back and jobs finished. The time for being nice is over.

Surely the others who purchased aren't all members of PS? You'd think a negative review would have happened a long while ago from someone who doesn't "know" them like people do here.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

One real problem I see is that this may be working like a Ponzi scheme. The money is spent, and now they need new clients to pay the old ones. They keep the stones because in their delusion they may think they will get to finish the work someday.

You don't leave a comment until you have the goods, so it ought to be 60 days from when you receive the goods. People haven't the goods yet--thats the problem.

They may just be overwhelmed--too much business or emotional mishap--divorce in the air.

Just keep bugging them!

Annette

a

CrimsonQueen

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker (gad, what a creepy word), finally piping up because I've felt so bad for the people going through this (this thread had originally caught my eye because I had been considering placing an order with DanielM). As the weeks have gone by I've felt increasingly frustrated on behalf of the people in this situation. Everyone sounds so nice. As an outsider, I think "I wouldn't be so nice," though I know that's easy to say...

Still, I gotta chime in now because I just read smitcompton's post <snip> this may be working like a Ponzi scheme <snip> which is EXACTLY what I've been thinking. (Whether this is technically a Ponzi or some other type of con, the signs are classic.)

The type of person who perpetrates such a con is counting on his victims not believing the evidence. And the victims (sorry but I'm using this word as a kind of catch-all shorthand) do not believe the evidence because: (a) he may have acted appropriately in the past, or (b) they think they should always try to "see the best" in people, or (c) they fear the consequences (such as never seeing their money or their stones again). Ever hear of Bernie Madoff? How do you think he got away with what he did (for years!)? See above: (a), (b), (c).

I've read various theories like maybe DanielM is going through a divorce, or maybe someone (he, a child, or anyone else in the family) is ill, or worse. Excuse me?!? Are any of those justifications for mistreating even one customer? NO. As someone who has undergone all those things concurrently, over an extended period of time, and who is self employed (!), I repeat: the answer to that is NO. If any of those theories were really true, he wouldn't still be taking orders.

Btw, someone on this thread had reported getting an indignant reply from the wife (?). Boy, is that a Red Flag!!! Guess what. Do you think DanielM (or wife) would send a reply like that to the Massachusetts Attorney General? No? Well, that's how you know it's no better than an attempt at intimidation, in other words, a way to get you to back down.

I'm so glad I found Pricescope, and I've learned so much (most of which I'll never be able to afford to put to use, haha). I also would never have known DanielM is now someone to stay away from, if I hadn't seen this thread. I hope some of you will (perhaps after your situation is resolved one way or the other) leave a review on Etsy so that future unsuspecting potential customers won't get trapped in DanielM's web.

Please, everyone, keep in mind that the longer you're "nice," the better it is for DanielM. When things go on long enough, you may be less likely to be able to open a case. On one of Etsy's Help pages, it says (referring to PayPal):

PayPal #: 1-888-221-1161 (US) or 1-402-935-2050 (if calling from outside the US)

Please keep in mind that PayPal only allows buyers to open a claim up to 45 days after the purchase date, so their deadline to open a claim may be much sooner than Etsy’s deadline.

One last link you should have is the Massachusetts Attorney General:
http://www.mass.gov/ago/consumer-resources/filing-a-complaint-with-the-attorney-generals.html

Sorry this has been so very long. I'm sending my warmest wishes to each of you for a speedy and satisfactory resolution, so that you can get back to sharing the enjoyment of sparklies! :wavey:

megthered

Rough_Rock
CrimsonQueen, I have also told the customers of DanielM that they need to stop being nice and get tough with him. I don't care what sort of personal problem someone is having, that should not impact your customers. If you can't do the job, then quit for a while. You are enabling him to take advantage of others and you are enabling a criminal. He has stolen your stones and even if they aren't worth much monetarily, they are important to you. You have allowed him to steal your property. If I lived nextdoor to you would you allow me to take your food or car or computer? Then don't allow this.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
CrimsonQueen, I hope you pipe up more often & don't go back to lurkerdom. What you write makes an awful lot of sense, unhappy as I am to say so. The fact that they appear to be fulfilling later orders does make the situation look different than their simply being overwhelmed by personal or business circumstances. I hadn't thought about it that way until reading your post. If I had stones or money with them, I would get tough at this point -- no more deadlines; simply report to Etsy, eBay, police, whoever makes sense. Time to stop waiting.

--- Laurie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Crimson Queen :wavey:

I just wanted to add to your post that a Paypal dispute or review is ONLY possible within quite short timeframes. Typically when one commissions a piece to be made it can take up to 3 months. This is the "norm" so you can see, most people would immediately be outside of the timeframes before they realised there was trouble. This is why the reviews are still positive.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The most effective way to combat this etsy seller is to notify the Attorney General in his state. Usually, there is a department of consumer affairs which handles theses cases promptly. I have used them several times in my state, Il. and has worked beautifully. I also complained about JTV to the Tenn attorney General and that worked so well, that I commend that office.

Avail yourself of these remedies.

Annette

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
megthered|1411334927|3754938 said:
CrimsonQueen, I have also told the customers of DanielM that they need to stop being nice and get tough with him. I don't care what sort of personal problem someone is having, that should not impact your customers. If you can't do the job, then quit for a while. You are enabling him to take advantage of others and you are enabling a criminal. He has stolen your stones and even if they aren't worth much monetarily, they are important to you. You have allowed him to steal your property. If I lived nextdoor to you would you allow me to take your food or car or computer? Then don't allow this.

So true. Lots of people have personal issues, divorce, illnesses, etc. to deal with and they are still expected to perform at their job. This is just BS what he is doing. I am sad and angry for the people who have not gotten their money or stones back.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
So, we are moving closer to the hard date and I haven't heard anything since the first week of Sept, when he said they should be wrapped up "next week." I have not sent any nastygrams yet, but a tickler four days ago he hasn't yet responded to. And it looks like I am just outside of the window to leave feedback on the deposit listing.

While I still have hope (I am nothing if not a glutton for punishment) this may mean I have to buy one of Dana's pretty topazes instead. Oh, darn. (lemons out of lemonade, and all that.)

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
deskjockey, you don't have to get nasty, just state the facts. I expect this by this date or I will be doing this.
You don't have to be mean, just persistent.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Having never contacted daniel m I have stayed out of this thread. I am sorry to see it even continues to exist. Years ago I worked for a service company, lettuce entertain you, and we had a policy called triple A, such that when a client expressed discontent, you immediately apologize, regardless of who may be at fault your apology recognizes the clients issue. Which then leads to the second A which is to acknowledge the clients concerns, regardless what you think of their validity. and the third is to At, which all has to happen in sequence and immediately; you do not wait twenty minutes to consult with others, you ACT. It does not matter who is at fault, you resolve whatever needs to be resolved. I can understand the desire to cut him some slack given the alleged circumstances, but all I see is he takes your stones and down payments and then if you are lucky he stalls you and gives you excuses. And then does not follow through. I am not a hard ass. I lend people money when I think they really are in a jamb, and I do not ask for it back (though it does not go un-noted); it doesn't make me better than them. It goes around and it comes around. What I do not tolerate is to be abused after extending myself. This is what I think is happening here to so many in this thread. Their good natures are being taken advantage of, and they are being abused as well. I am sorry to say that I think action is required here since daniel m does not appear to be extending to you the courtesy he has not given you the option of denying from him.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
texaskj|1411516847|3756032 said:
deskjockey, you don't have to get nasty, just state the facts.

To be fair, my version of "nasty" is pretty.... meek.

:saint:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Lol, but don't be too meek to get results, ok? I'd love to see everybody get their money & stones back, since they are obviously not going to receive finished pieces.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have any items with Daniel M, but I sincerely hope that someone who does, has contacted the Massachusett's Attorney Generals' office with concerns about this business. (I assume he's in MA due to previous comments.) This is the best way to address what appears to be fraud. The excuses that have been used are just that......... the business has done little or nothing to repair the damage and losses to consumers. Again, my two cents.........and it's meant to be supportive of the action that those of you folks may pursue. The AG should contact Daniel M and let them know that there are issues here--especially if they get more than one complaint of this business. If Daniel M truly has an out of control situation, the AG will suggest ways to resolve it. HOWEVER, if it is fraudulent behavior.....they have ways to resolve that too!! The AG could take a look at this thread for a perspective on what has been going on and how patient (or scammed).........customers have been!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just received an -email from paypal updating their policies. They are extending from 45 days to 180 days a buyers right to file a complaint about a purchase. Some of you may have paid thru paypal. You still can file that complaint now. Thats is a big improvement for them.

Annette

ps. I think there ought to be a discussion on how far in advance you should order a custom made piece from vendors.
This vendor, Julia Taylor(I think) , was taking reservations for a year in advance, and required a deposit for that reservation. It is to me, rather ridiculous. Many on here did just that. We should have some idea of what is an acceptable time frame, and advise people not to deal with vendors who need all that advance notice. People should be freeer to post their concerns on PS

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Annette, Is the new PayPal dispute policy retroactive.......or in effect starting now? Did it say? TIA..........

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results