shape
carat
color
clarity

your experience with multicolour.com?

dm-smith

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I just found a website called multicolour.com and I found a stone that catch my eye. Does anyone has bought any stone from this website? do you think they will give us discount?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience, there are no bargains to be had there. You get what you pay for.

I would pay attention to the color descriptions in each listing, more than the photos.

I have returned every stone I ever bought from them, all were more disappointing than the real thing, although some people have had great experience with them.

MC.com is a reputable vendor and I don't believe anyone has ever had a problem with a return. The owner, David Weinberg, is also an expert on alexandrite. I never intend to purchase one of those, but if I did, I would have to consider him.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have many purchases from Multicolour, and kept them all with no regrets. It is difficult to gauge true color from their photos. It has helped me to click the "download identification report", I find the photos look less attenuated there as pdf files than they do on the website. If he describes the stone as dark, then it will be dark. If one color path is dark and the other medium dark, it will be mostly dark. I have 5 color change garnets from him. I think the ones from Bekily are generally his better ones.

The alexandrite you linked has weak color in both colorpaths and a formidable window.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
dm-smith|1410791592|3751213 said:
do you know these color they used to described change color garnet:
Dark Very Strongly Bluish Green
Medium Dark Red-Purple Or Purple-Red

Dark Blue
Medium Reddish Purple

since you mentioned about alexandrite, do you think this stone worth the price?
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/single/alexandrite/ax10143aa/&930512007

In my opinion to expensive for a 1 ct alex with a moderate CC.

Would try a CC garnet - a better choice for the money! Then you see whether you like this phenomen - or not!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pass on this one as well and keep looking for one with a strong cc. You'll likely pay more, but it will be worth it if you get a good one - his prices and selection for alex are the best.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1410796163|3751246 said:
I'd pass on this one as well and keep looking for one with a strong cc. You'll likely pay more, but it will be worth it if you get a good one - his prices and selection for alex are the best.

The Hematita Alex from Brazil are great - has anyone purchased one from MC - $6000 pct is not really cheap.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the first one, though the window would drive me nuts. the second is light which might be better than too dark but again windowed. The third one has a nicer cut, possibly tolerable tilt window, but is too far gone to the dark side.

dm-smith

Rough_Rock
since you said you have bought 5 color change garnets from him, do you know what kind of color am I going to expect for "dark blue" for the first one (http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1925200798)? is it something around cornflower blue with a little gray?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure what you are looking for:
If you want a durable everyday wear stone, then alexandrite is the right choice for you.
If you only need something as occasional wear, or a pendant stone, then cc garnet is the right choice.

7/2 = dark and will show a good amount of gray. It is nowhere close to cornflower blue with a little gray.

I purchased a cc garnet from MC many years ago and find their colour description to be on the generous side.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I bought from them before, the stone was much darker than the pics. Very disappointing. when I returned it, they dinged me for a 15% restocking fee.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't bought from MC. They have a few blue spinels that in the photo look like a nice medium or medium dark blue but are described as dark. I'd stay away from gems described as dark, especially CC garnets as they are known for often being overly dark, even black.

With most gems I don't like dark. Personally, if I were in the market to buy a cc garnet I'd feel more comfortable buying a medium toned one. I like this one even though it's not super saturated and has some possible minor cut issues. But I don't know enough about CC garnet to recommend it to anyone.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/color_change_garnet/zcg1013bg/&302686978

Notice how in the stone I linked it looks greyish blue in the picture but is described as violet. Also, once set your gem will darken a bit too so take that into account too.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bought one gem from MC...... when I followed up with a question about "cut" I received a condescending response that was not helpful and inaccurate. Won't buy any more after that experience. My money goes to vendors who respond professionally and courteously to questions and purchases........

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow - just for info - I've purchased quite a lot of Alex (years ago) from David at Multicolour and also lots of other stones. I have NEVER had a problem and he even recut a stone for me!

dm-smith - as TL has mentioned, with Multicolour you get what you pay for. The price for the Alex you linked to is actually very good for a 1ct stone but it's actually "cheap" because the stone is not best quality. It doesn't have the colour change that you would want from a top stone. Hope that helps.

In terms of the cc garnets - can you tell us what you actually want? The ones you've linked to are very different. In colour change stones what you want is a lovely pleasing colour is both colourways. If you're going to wear this more during the day (as an every day ring) then the daylight colour needs to be good. Typically in colour change gemstones you get one colour that makes your heart beat faster but the other colour slows it down a bit. The trick is to try to find a stone that has equal beauty and that may take a while.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LD|1410809720|3751373 said:
Marlow - just for info - I've purchased quite a lot of Alex (years ago) from David at Multicolour and also lots of other stones. I have NEVER had a problem and he even recut a stone for me!

dm-smith - as TL has mentioned, with Multicolour you get what you pay for. The price for the Alex you linked to is actually very good for a 1ct stone but it's actually "cheap" because the stone is not best quality. It doesn't have the colour change that you would want from a top stone. Hope that helps.

In terms of the cc garnets - can you tell us what you actually want? The ones you've linked to are very different. In colour change stones what you want is a lovely pleasing colour is both colourways. If you're going to wear this more during the day (as an every day ring) then the daylight colour needs to be good. Typically in colour change gemstones you get one colour that makes your heart beat faster but the other colour slows it down a bit. The trick is to try to find a stone that has equal beauty and that may take a while.

Thank you, LD!

I really think about a Hematita alex from MC - I bought one (0,26 ct) top quality around 1990/91 and sold it :(( !!
bluegreen to finest rhodolite color - a fantastic piece !!! Was a big mistake.

The price is o.k. - this material is awesome!! I have seen several russian stones (R. Görlitz) but Hematita !!! It is fantastic.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
dm-smith|1410798776|3751260 said:
since you said you have bought 5 color change garnets from him, do you know what kind of color am I going to expect for "dark blue" for the first one (http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1925200798)? is it something around cornflower blue with a little gray?

No. I would expect this to be dark, & blue, rather than dark blue, by which I mean a dark stone, that is blue at times, but more often only extinct.

dm-smith

Rough_Rock
LD|1410809720|3751373 said:

wow! I didn't expecting a lot of reply on my thread. thanks guys :)
honestly, I'm not sure whether I want alex or color change garnet, but let me tell somethings about me:
1. I worked in restaurant, so the stone has to have some temperature change resistance in it. (I crack my old tanzanite when I accidentally spill a little liquid nitrogen)
2. I don't really into dark color stone (I prefer cornflower blue or lighter than royal blue sapphire)

btw the alex that I posted has GIA color code of bG*4/2 to PR/RP*2/2
do you know what kind of color is that? an example or html color code would be nice

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure there is any gem that can survive liquid nitrogen but yes, tanzanite is sensitive to sudden extreme temperature changes and I'm sorry it didn't survive. If you are hard on your hands and want a ring stone, I would go for an alexandrite. An alex with moderate change and atypical colourway (not the typical blue green to red purple) is more budget friendly. I don't think you'll be able to find a cornflower blue type alex or cc garnet unless you have a lot of money, time and the right contact to find one.

bG4/2 = bluish Green with medium light tone, slightly brown/gray
PR/RP2/2 = purplish red/reddish purple with very light tone, slightly brown/gray

Tone is how light or dark the stone is.
Saturation is on a scale of 1 to 6, with 1-3 having brown/gray and 4-6 being absent of brown/gray modifiers.

dm-smith

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1410877396|3751826 said:
I'm not sure there is any gem that can survive liquid nitrogen but yes, tanzanite is sensitive to sudden extreme temperature changes and I'm sorry it didn't survive. If you are hard on your hands and want a ring stone, I would go for an alexandrite. An alex with moderate change and atypical colourway (not the typical blue green to red purple) is more budget friendly. I don't think you'll be able to find a cornflower blue type alex or cc garnet unless you have a lot of money, time and the right contact to find one.

PR/RP2/2 = purplish red/reddish purple with very light tone, slightly brown/gray

Saturation is on a scale of 1 to 6, with 1-3 having brown/gray and 4-6 being absent of brown/gray modifiers.

So, what does the slightly brown/gray saturation mean? what kind of bluish Green with medium light tone and purplish red/reddish purple with very light tone should I expect? do you mind giving me a real example or color code? Those color are too abstract for me to imagine :(

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dm-smith|1410883296|3751907 said:

So, what does the slightly brown/gray saturation mean? what kind of bluish Green with medium light tone and purplish red/reddish purple with very light tone should I expect? do you mind giving me a real example or color code? Those color are too abstract for me to imagine :(

Unfortunately, it is a bit abstract, but that said, it sounds like you might find this useful: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/[/URL] It will probably help you to understand tone and saturation. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dm-smith|1410883296|3751907 said:

Okay this is how I think about these colours when I see codes like this. So, let's take bG4/2. Firstly the G is in capitals so this means that the predominant colour you will "see" will be Green. The b (because it is in lower case) means that this is the secondary colour. So in this case, we're looking at a green stone but has an undercurrent of blue (that you may or may not be able to "see" - this depends on how attuned you are to colour).

So, moving on, you've now got the number 4/2. This describes hue and saturation and is used by the GIA. So let's look at tone first. This is graded on a scale from 1 to 7. 1 is extremely light and 7 is very dark. It basically means how dark the gemstone is. So, very basically, if you had a pale blue sapphire, that's likely to be graded 1, 2, or 3 and the inky dark sapphires you see will probably be more to towards the 6 or 7. So in your case the stone you've linked to has been graded a 4 which to all intents and purposes means it's smack back in the middle of what you can get!

Moving on, the 2 represents a scale from 1 to 6 and is about saturation - so this means the purity or intensity of colour. On this scale 1 is grayish/brownish and 6 is vivid. So think of it like this, again using a blue sapphire. Some sapphires look like a deep ocean of sparkly blue that screams blue! That would be vivid. The more grey or brown a stone has, the less vivid it will be and so will look more muted. That's not to say that a stone is bad though.

So, looking at the ideal for Alexandrites (and each stone has its own ideal range), on the Multicolour website they list these are the ideal parameters:

"The GIA grades the following colors as top in daylight, G 5/2 (medium slightly grayish green) and vslbG 5/2 (medium slightly grayish very slightly bluish green). Under incandescent light, R 5/3 (medium very slightly brownish red) and slpR 5/3 (very slightly brownish slightly purplish red) are considered to be the best colors. Some stones may only look good in daylight or only under incandescent light and they should be less expensive."

I have one Alex that (from memory) fits the "ideal" category so if you search under my name and look for the 3ct pear Alex hopefully that'll give you an idea of what to look for.

Phew that was longer than I intended (sorry about that)! :read:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bG4/2 is marked in the red box.

_22428.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry but the newest alexandrite on Multicolorgems are really ugly!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1410890321|3751971 said:

I haven't looked but they probably are because although there is source being mined at the moment I understand the quality isn't there :(sad

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1410890321|3751971 said:

Others may differ on this, but my experience with alexandrite is that it's extremely difficult to find a high quality one, and everything else is overpriced, overhyped and unattractive with both or one colorways.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
LD - it is Tunduru material - maximum color shift chrysoberyl. Where are the small Hematita for 6K per ct????

TL - I love chrysoberyl - alexandrite is a challenge - I have no really good one - the red chrysoberyl is no alex and the others ones are windowed or have a nice daylight color but the incandescent color is disapointing.

I saw a fantastic two carat stone in a ring and my little quarter carat stone - I know how they could look like.

Honestly - a real good one or nothing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results