shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think? Are these jade chinese lions?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

This may not be the most appropriate place to put this post, but I'm most comfortable in this forum, and I *am* asking about a colored gem (jade) :)

Some background: these figures have been in my family for a couple of generations, and my parents have had them since I was a baby (so over 30+ years). I've always loved them, I don't really know why...but as a child I thought they were very special. My parents had always told me that "one day" they would give them to me, and kind of out of nowhere they just decided to give them to me now. I was so excited to have them! They have great sentimental value to me. I love their little faces, the smooth heavy feel of them, etc...

So, onto the figures: I have little to no info about them, despite having had them in the family for some time. My parents have always told me that they were "jade Chinese lions". (I made up my own name for them 20+ years ago after reading all of the Anne of Green Gables books - I call them Gog and Magog after some Chinese statues than Anne encounters and loves...kind of silly, I know, but it's my own little thing). These belonged to a family member before my parents had them, but that person is long since gone, and left no other info about them that we know of. I've just been told that they are antiques and made of jade...that's it.

I've tried to research them online over the years and have seen many many "jade" figures, and I'm assuming that these are supposed to be chinese foo dogs. But I have no idea how old they actually are, or if they are even jade. Both figures are fairly large and rather heavy, about 3 lbs each. You can see the scale of them when I'm holding them in my hand. The condition of them is, imo, VERY poor. There are MANY chips, cracks, and actual pieces chipped off and missing. It's pretty extensive damage. One is in better condition than the other, but still pretty poor. From the pics it looks like one is darker than the other, but that's not nearly as noticeable IRL. Also I think it's more dirt than actual discoloration that you can see in the pics - I gave no idea when these were last cleaned, but for various reasons, they've been in storage for ages.

Due to the poor condition, I think that despite the fact that they are large, heavy, and a matched pair, I can't imagine they could be worth that much monetarily, even if they are actual jade. It doesn't really matter, as I'd never sell them. I'm mainly posting today to share my enjoyment of them, but also to ask if anyone has any opinions on what they might be carved from? Or if anyone knows anything about these types of carvings, I'd love to know anything at all - I wish I knew how old they really were! The carvings are very weathered but you can still make out some nice detailing, especially in the tail areas, the ears, etc - their faces aren't as sharp as those areas.

Last thing - I can see some rainbow like areas in a couple of places, which I will include pics of for reference. I am wondering - does jade even have this iridescent effect? If it's not jade, what else could it be? In many places the material is extremely clear, but all of the cracks, etc, make it more difficult to evaluate things.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated!! Pics coming now:

_22379.jpg

_22380.jpg

_22381.jpg

_22382.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
More pics...

_22383.jpg

_22384.jpg

_22385.jpg

_22386.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Last pics

_22387.jpg

_22388.jpg

_22389.jpg

_22390.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh and I measured them for anyone curious - they are approx 6 inches long by 3 inches high by 2 inches wide.

Sorry this is so long, thanks to anyone who decided to read it all :). Hope some of you like my little pair!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe a silly question - can you scratch it with your fingernail?

I understand you love them!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I don't think I'd be able to scratch them with a fingernail as they feel quite hard to me. But I will try later on for you! I'm not at home, just checking in on my phone.

Btw - The reason they are as damaged as they are is that they literally fell through a ceiling and onto the floor! I know that sounds crazy but it's true. When my parents first got "custody" of them, they were newly married, very young, and they weren't living in a good area - so they had them hidden in the ceiling to keep them "safe". (The ceiling was that old type where you could remove a panel). There was a flood up there and everything crashed through to the ground! They were stored up there with a whole box of other pieces, some ivory carvings and jade carvings - they had some really gorgeous pieces break :(

Crazy, I know. My parents were quite young and probably just didn't know better!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a shame, Katharath! Your ceiling story breaks my heart. But the foo lions, for lack of a better term, are neat. I don't know enough about jade to make any contribution -- maybe some of our vendors could chime in. I love their faces -- they look more like teddy bears than lions or dogs. :bigsmile: Where do you plan to put them in your house? They would look super on a mantel if you have one.

--- Laurie

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Goodness Kath, what a story! About them falling through the ceiling I mean. I can't help in determining whether they are genuine jade but can understand your love for them despite the damage.

The rainbow is most puzzling though. I would have said perhaps it's something to do with the host matrix except that part looks quite green.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is so unusual -I love that they are reclining. I have broken antiques 'storing them away to protect them'-I just should have left them out.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1410823461|3751524 said:
What a shame, Katharath! Your ceiling story breaks my heart. But the foo lions, for lack of a better term, are neat. I don't know enough about jade to make any contribution -- maybe some of our vendors could chime in. I love their faces -- they look more like teddy bears than lions or dogs. :bigsmile: Where do you plan to put them in your house? They would look super on a mantel if you have one.

--- Laurie

Thank you Laurie :). I love their faces too, that's part of the charm for me.

I don't actually have a mantel, though that would look nice. We live in Vegas and we actually have had fireplaces at a few of the places we've lived in (lived here 13 years or so now). We bought our "new" house just over 3 years ago though, and this one doesn't have a fireplace. We never used any of the others, so it doesn't really matter much to me except for things like this - and christmas time (for the stockings ;-).

I have a couple of large glass/curio cabinets and they could go in there. But I was thinking of perhaps buying special little individual shelves for them. I've seen them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond type places, I know they make them. Might be fun to give them their own little spaces. I'm thinking of putting them in our master bedroom, but I don't know - my guests couldn't see them that way. I only just got them yesterday, I'll have to give it some thought.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Starzin|1410827457|3751560 said:
Goodness Kath, what a story! About them falling through the ceiling I mean. I can't help in determining whether they are genuine jade but can understand your love for them despite the damage.

The rainbow is most puzzling though. I would have said perhaps it's something to do with the host matrix except that part looks quite green.

I know, I wish I could go back in time and tell my 20 year old parents not to put stuff in the ceiling, lol!! They still talk about "the incident" very regretfully.

I just don't know what to make of the rainbows. The material is very green in some places but slightly clearer in others. It's very heavy, too.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
lambskin|1410828544|3751566 said:
The cut is so unusual -I love that they are reclining. I have broken antiques 'storing them away to protect them'-I just should have left them out.

I really like the position/cut of them as well. Sorry to hear that you've had your own bad experiences "protecting" antiques - I'm going to try to be protective of these but not "too" protective! I want to enjoy them :). And since they've already taken a bad fall, hopefully that will be all the bad luck that they have.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Katharath said:
But I was thinking of perhaps buying special little individual shelves for them. I've seen them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond type places, I know they make them. Might be fun to give them their own little spaces. I'm thinking of putting them in our master bedroom, but I don't know - my guests couldn't see them that way. I only just got them yesterday, I'll have to give it some thought.

I think that's a great idea! While I can see the temptation to put them in the bedroom it would be a shame if visitors couldn't appreciate them too.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi Katharath, I think the dogs are SHIH TZU'S.

I cant help with the material/age of the pieces but a matching pair is quite rare to see so my advice is to take them off to a dealer of Asian/oriental/Chinese antiques. They will be able to tell what it is made of, its age and where it was made in a heartbeat.

They are obviously of great sentimental value to you so here is your chance to add to the history of them.

Please let us know if you do take them for an appraisal Kath, curious now.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That's a super idea, Needfulshinythings! There must be some knowledgeable Asian art dealers there, Kath -- would be great to learn what they have to say. Value isn't as important, since you are going to keep them forever, but age, what they're made of, any other cool stuff.

Yes, definitely they should live where guests can see them -- I think their faces are so friendly, they bring good karma to any room!

--- Laurie

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never seen jade with crazing like that.
I think your little dogs are carved quartz.
Google "green carved quartz" or "carved quartz" and look at some images.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry about the condition of the pair but they are cute! I really like them. Is there anyway to prevent further breakdown of the material? Can they be impregnated with resin to look less cracked?

dm-smith

Rough_Rock
it looks like a quartz rather than jade. However, depending on your luck and the height of the ceiling, it might be jadeite. only the real and flawless jadeite can survive 5-10meter drop with so little crack in it (unless it made of some durable man made material)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
stracci2000|1410865666|3751739 said:
I have never seen jade with crazing like that.
I think your little dogs are carved quartz.
Google "green carved quartz" or "carved quartz" and look at some images.

I think you may be right!! I did look up some images and found several green quartz chinese antique themed carvings - and some of them look very similar to what I have!! Thanks for the info. If it were quartz, might that also account for the rainbow iridescence?

Laurie - I will probably put them in the entry hall or living room :)

Chrono - thank you, and that is a great question! I need to look into that.

For those of you I missed, thank you for your comments. I'll reply soon, I'm just in a big rush right this sec :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
feldspar and quartz co-occur together, and moonstone (which has that rainbow look) is made of Feldspar , so maybe there is a bit of moonstone stuck in the quartz matrix? Just guessing though.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
They are really cute. I would bring them to an appraiser or send one off to GIA. I sent a piece of jade there instead of AGL because GIA's price to determine if something is untreated jade is much less than AGL.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
From my limit experience of buying Jadeite recently, and I have encountered a number of fake Jade instances whose were mainly made of Dye green Quartz. I would think these pieces may not be Quartz. Because Quartz is a silicate compound, it is clear and semi translucent or almost transparent. Dye Green Quartz is even colored. Quartz will break into pieces if failed from a ceiling.

http://www.jadeitejade.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/first-photo.jpg
You can see it quite clearly using a 10X loupe

While Jadeite has grains like cotton candy /interior crystal irregularity of the interlocking fibrous structure, most time colors are not even.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Well, I really appreciate everyone's responses and kind words. I think eventually I will have to take them to be looked at by someone qualified, just to satisfy my own curiosity. I'm in no hurry though, so it could be a little while - but when I do I will post back here :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a tourmaline with a rainbow inclusion like that once, and I think Michael E said it was just the nature of the inclusion to make it look iridescent like that. I can't remember specifically though!

Very cool little guys though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results