shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo diamond ring advice

deepbluesea

Rough_Rock
Hi to everyone!

I want to make custom halo engagement ring with center princess cut diamond with size 1.20ct.

What is bothering me is size of those little side diamonds around center diamond and those that are around ring.
What is ideal size for them? I would like that they are not too big so the center diamond is more visible and in focus.

For example I like proportion between center diamond and those side little diamonds on this rings :
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/25/d2/d6/25d2d65063e56251e6be59499e9b959f.jpg
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ba/5b/07/ba5b07ad399564a4e0f5588b2aa1221e.jpg

In this pictures center diamonds are maybe bigger than my 1.20ct so regarding my center diamond size and this pictures what size of those little diamonds you suggest and also is it possible to buy such little diamonds somewhere online?

Thanks for any help

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For that proportion with a 1.2 carat center princess you are going to want 1/2 point melee. Which is very hard to do right (most jewelers will try to talk you into 1 point melee, which will not give you the look you want).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You would not buy the melee diamonds yourself. Your ring maker does that. We'd recommend Victor Canera and Steven Kirsch as top tier pave masters, and you can go to Engagement Rings Direct if the budget does not allow for the first two. As Gypsy is saying, not many have the skill to do great pave with very small stones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don't buy the melee diamonds. You buy the setting, custom, and the price includes the diamonds.

What is your setting budget ?

deepbluesea

Rough_Rock
Hi, thanks for your reply.

My plan was to buy loose diamond and go to local jewelry to make a ring. I decided this approach because it looks to me that it would be much cheaper this way than buying the whole ring.

They told me that they can make me settings (and put inside my center diamond) for $600 but that would be with little zircons around center diamond and then I saw that those melee diamonds are actually very cheap (online for around $7 each) so I guess that it would not increase my custom settings price for more than $200. Lets say that this possibly $800 is maximum budget for ring settings.

I'am buying ring in some online shop (it is well known but I will not promote them here) and maybe I should ask them how much it will cost for making whole ring.

I am new to this so if you have any suggestion fell free to tell me :)

Thanks

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
When I lived in Singapore, I used to buy my melee direct from a diamond dealer (after my jeweler told me how many and what size I needed). The jeweler would then custom make the setting for me. That was cheaper than my jeweler sourcing the diamonds and also I knew what quality my melee were.

My jeweler, however, was an exceptional man and was happy to work with me this way. I don't think this is the way most jewelers would agree to operate.

I would not buy melee online, for what it's worth. If you don't have access to a diamond dealer, then it might be wise to use one of the PS recommended vendors for your setting so at least you know you are getting good diamonds and a quality setting.

Good luck.'

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A halo for 800 is not going to be of a quality that will stand up to wear and tear.

Period.

You'd be better off buying a halo from one of the chinese vendors they use over in Colored Stones Forum if you want to do that.

A good, well made halo that will stand up to wear and tear of being worn every day will typically cost aroung 2100 minimum.

You are being penny wise and pound foolish.

If your ring budget is 800 then you should get a nice quality solitaire and upgrade to a halo later.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is very true, Gypsy is right, doing a halo right is very tideous work. Handforging one and doing the settings can take days. It is not cheap because it is labor expensive and requires a lot of skill. I have seen many badly messed up halos, much more bad examples than good ones; some were bulky, some had a lot of metal showing, out of proportion large melee, uneven work, some look more like clusters, many different issues with them. Many jewelers I know and who think that they are real experts cannot do them right. It is true, it may sound easy to do but a great halo is one of the hardest to execute.

Besides that, as Gypsy mentioned not only a cheap one may look, well, ugly but also if the quality of the work is inferior then the stones will keep popping out. Not only it is extremely annoying that you keep losing stones and cannot wear your piece but it is also very costly to have to keep running with the piece in for constant repairs. Unless a piece is very old and special I would not want to do that. Neither would anyone else in my opinion. It takes away the joy of owning and wearing the piece. Best thing is to pay for quality setting in the beginning. I am sure there are also good non-handforged options too that are not as pricey but what many people do not realize that a great setting and superb workmanship are just as important as the stones themselves. After all you want your piece to showcase your beautiful gems, bring the best out of them and also you definitely do not want to lose your stones.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1410897384|3752051 said:
A halo for 800 is not going to be of a quality that will stand up to wear and tear.

Period.

You'd be better off buying a halo from one of the chinese vendors they use over in Colored Stones Forum if you want to do that.

A good, well made halo that will stand up to wear and tear of being worn every day will typically cost aroung 2100 minimum.

You are being penny wise and pound foolish.

If your ring budget is 800 then you should get a nice quality solitaire and upgrade to a halo later.

+ 1000.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think there are some nicer halos at James Allen and through other companies like Starlight, Gabriel & co etc. They will not be 100% custom but you can customize the head of the ring to fit your diamond. With your budget I would reach out to ID Jewelery and see what bands your local stores carry.

Goodluck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results