shape
carat
color
clarity

How to tell if jewelry is vintage?

watercoloreyes

Rough_Rock
Hello all! New to posting here, but not to lurking...this place has been a WEALTH of knowledge in my engagement ring hunt, and I'm super appreciative for everything I've been able to learn through you guys here. My questions is actually two-fold...

I've found a few antique rings via Etsy and Ebay that I'm loving, and while I like to think I have a pretty good eye for spotting legit antique jewelry, I'd love to be able to make sure that the ring I ultimately purchase is indeed pre-170's (and ideally pre-40s). Would anyone be able to tell me their thoughts on the ring below?

Also, I just sent the seller a message asking about the color and clarity of the stones, but quite honestly, as long as they aren't below and I1 or 12, I don't particularly care. If I purchased the ring, is there a way that I could tell the clarity without having to bring it to a jeweler? The seller does have a return policy, so if I end up not liking the color/clarity after all, she'll take it back.

Any and all feedback is appreciated - thanks in advance for your help!

il_162.jpg

il_163.jpg

watercoloreyes

Rough_Rock
Also, I've been finding a lot of antique/vintage rings that are really large sizes. Considering women back then had smaller hands than we do now, should it concern me if I see one that is a size 8 or 9?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to post what the underside looks like that is how I tell and there are a LARGE number of Antique looking reproductions in large sizes (in all sizes for that matter) coming out of Asia that are copies of genuine vintage pieces so they look real but are new.

You can also tell by the cut of the diamonds - if the ones in the ring are antique cuts then the piece is more likely to be old having said that the items coming from Asia have single cuts as melee and sometimes use badly cut (new) old cut diamonds in them as well.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
There are certain tell tale signs of dating rings but you to post more pictures with different angles. Also dont' get confused with the word vintage. My 2011 Volvo can be vintage. So can a 1994 coke bottle. Vintage on ebay and etsy are used incorrectly all over the place. If you are looking for pre 1940's you want art deco. Many sellers I have found to be honest and will say Authenticate Art Deco or Art Deco Like/ Inspired. Make sure you ask questions when buying. If it is 1970's I think that is just usually referred to as Retro (my guess)??

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, The asymmetrical swoops of the band towards the stones remind me of styles in the 1980s and 1990s. Also the large gaps between the stones and reliance on channel setting as major design features seems atypical of the pre-1940's pieces I've seen (Usually they don't have gaps unless filigree is involved). It's a lovely ring, and you should get it if you like the style. but I highly doubt it's vintage.
It reminds me of a modern re-set of family stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results