shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk baby names

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't think you were making fun of him. Everyone's madness has a method :naughty: . This is not to say he likes every name in top 100 giving us 200 options.

Reading through your choices reminded me of a few names. Maybe they are already on reject list but throwing them in the hat.
Estelle
Celia
Nora
Bertha
Agnes

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster said:
I didn't think you were making fun of him. Everyone's madness has a method :naughty: . This is not to say he likes every name in top 100 giving us 200 options.

Reading through your choices reminded me of a few names. Maybe they are already on reject list but throwing them in the hat.
Estelle
Celia
Nora
Bertha
Agnes
Celia and Agnes were on the short list but my husband won't give me Celia and Agnes doesn't go well with Frances (the mn)

Dorothy is on the list, but I really hate the 3 syllable pronunciation

Bah.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC, Riley really popped in last 10 years as a girl's name. I always thought it was a boys name but now know quite a few little girls with that name. Popularity shouldn't make a difference in your decision if you like it. Congrats on making your choice although you still have time to change your mind ;)) . DH and I kept going back and forth on DS' s name until the registrar in the hospital threatened us :lol:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1410301678|3748027 said:
SMC, Riley really popped in last 10 years as a girl's name. I always thought it was a boys name but now know quite a few little girls with that name. Popularity shouldn't make a difference in your decision if you like it. Congrats on making your choice although you still have time to change your mind ;)) . DH and I kept going back and forth on DS' s name until the registrar in the hospital threatened us :lol:
Yeah, I know it's become popular - #45 the last I checked! I think it's ok though because none of our close friends have used the name, and I don't mind that there will be other little girls with the name either. My first choice name was Mia (before we decided to go gender-neutral) and that's like #6 in terms of popularity.

We're not telling anyone our choice yet since there is a real possibility it will change since I still have 4.5 months left to decide!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1410301070|3748014 said:
baby monster said:

Estelle
Celia
Nora
Bertha
Agnes
Celia and Agnes were on the short list but my husband won't give me Celia and Agnes doesn't go well with Frances (the mn)

Dorothy is on the list, but I really hate the 3 syllable pronunciation

Bah.
Well, I think Josephine is a great name and lends itself well to cute nicknames if she's so inclined. It's #160 in terms of popularity so it might be too popular for your husband, but it's way less popular than the names that my friends and I have been using/shortlisting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1410303741|3748048 said:
Yeah, I know it's become popular - #45 the last I checked! I think it's ok though because none of our close friends have used the name, and I don't mind that there will be other little girls with the name either. My first choice name was Mia (before we decided to go gender-neutral) and that's like #6 in terms of popularity.

We're not telling anyone our choice yet since there is a real possibility it will change since I still have 4.5 months left to decide!

Ive convinced my DH we aren't even going to tell people the gender. For some reason I dont even want to.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1410304771|3748060 said:

Ive convinced my DH we aren't even going to tell people the gender. For some reason I dont even want to.
Well, it's totally your call! I have a hard time not telling anyone the gender as I refer to my baby as a "she." And when people ask, I have no problem telling them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1410306895|3748081 said:
Niel|1410304771|3748060 said:

Well, it's totally your call! I have a hard time not telling anyone the gender as I refer to my baby as a "she." And when people ask, I have no problem telling them.

I didn't mind with our first. We had a shower, people needed to know for gifts and things.

But I like to keep some things between me and my DH

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My mom is driving me crazy. We told everyone the name when we all found out the gender. Since then, my mom has been suggesting other names. She also texted me and said "I know you don't care, but I just met someone who has the same name and he hated it growing up...he was always made fun of..." blah blah blah. Here's the thing, mom, we picked a name we love. We told you as a courtesy, not to get your opinion. Next pregnancy we won't be telling her and if she asks why, I will cite this pregnancy as my reason. Ugh.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1410364926|3748410 said:
My mom is driving me crazy. We told everyone the name when we all found out the gender. Since then, my mom has been suggesting other names. She also texted me and said "I know you don't care, but I just met someone who has the same name and he hated it growing up...he was always made fun of..." blah blah blah. Here's the thing, mom, we picked a name we love. We told you as a courtesy, not to get your opinion. Next pregnancy we won't be telling her and if she asks why, I will cite this pregnancy as my reason. Ugh.
Man, that sucks. We haven't told our parents yet but I don't think that they'd have strong opinions on it either way.

Do you mind disclosing the name you picked?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
SMC|1410365863|3748423 said:
Man, that sucks. We haven't told our parents yet but I don't think that they'd have strong opinions on it either way.

Not at all- Tucker Jack (Jack is my step-dad's name). We are well aware of what rhymes with Tucker, but we figure 1) every name has teasing potential, and 2) if he isn't a giant himself, he will at least have a giant older brother to protect him.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1410366093|3748426 said:
SMC|1410365863|3748423 said:

Not at all- Tucker Jack (Jack is my step-dad's name). We are well aware of what rhymes with Tucker, but we figure 1) every name has teasing potential, and 2) if he isn't a giant himself, he will at least have a giant older brother to protect him.
I don't see anything wrong with the name. You gave him a middle name so he can always use that if he hates it (which he won't!). Or he could use his initials, TJ. Our child won't have an English middle name, so I hope she likes Riley!

I think your mom will stop complaining once she meets him and the name's on the birth certificate.

I had friends who refused to tell anyone the names of their sons until they were born. Their sons' names are James and Chris, the most innocuous names ever. They still didn't want anyone to dissuade them from their choices (i.e. "I knew a James once and he sucked."). We're only disclosing our name choice to a few people (siblings and my BFF) for now, but it's not really a secret either.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the same strategy with DS as SMC's friends. We didn't tell anyone the name until he was born. I took suggestions but final choice was not up for discussion. Not that my mother gave up on pushing her choice until the very last minute :lol:.
Amc80, I would just tell your mom that you'll think about it if you want her to get off your case.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1410368765|3748459 said:
I had the same strategy with DS as SMC's friends. We didn't tell anyone the name until he was born. I took suggestions but final choice was not up for discussion. Not that my mother gave up on pushing her choice until the very last minute :lol:.
Amc80, I would just tell your mom that you'll think about it if you want her to get off your case.

That's what we did with B. His name is unusual, but not made up or anything (Barrett). We didn't tell anyone until I was like 36 weeks, and then it was just a few people. I wish we would have done that this time! Live and learn. My mom has a problem with boundaries in general, so I don't know why I'm surprised.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1410368876|3748460 said:

That's what we did with B. His name is unusual, but not made up or anything (Barrett). We didn't tell anyone until I was like 36 weeks, and then it was just a few people. I wish we would have done that this time! Live and learn. My mom has a problem with boundaries in general, so I don't know why I'm surprised.
I think Tucker goes well with Barrett!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've always looked at names like haircuts. If you tell someone your choice beforehand, there will be a million opinions on what would be "better". But once its done people tend to keep their trap shut.
With our first we told everyone the gender but not the name until she was born. I didn't need people telling me it " sounded old" or "weird", I didnt need anyone taking the wind out of my sails.

I made the mistake early on in my pregnancy last time to tell my mother we liked the name Francis. She made a face like something smelled and said " what? Are you going to call him frank?!"

I was furious. And I cite that every time she says anything about our names this go around.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1410379011|3748579 said:

I've always looked at names like haircuts. If you tell someone your choice beforehand, there will be a million opinions on what would be "better". But once its done people tend to keep their trap shut.
With our first we told everyone the gender but not the name until she was born. I didn't need people telling me it " sounded old" or "weird", I didnt need anyone taking the wind out of my sails.

I made the mistake early on in my pregnancy last time to tell my mother we liked the name Francis. She made a face like something smelled and said " what? Are you going to call him frank?!"

I was furious. And I cite that every time she says anything about our names this go around.
My MIL also made some comments about the name "Quinn" (my top gender-neutral name) along of the lines of "I think Caitlin is a better name" (Caitlin is DH's #1 choice and he's not getting it) but I don't think she would have objected if we did end up with a Quinn. I don't think she really cares as she gets to pick the Chinese name for the baby!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock

This is PRECISELY my take on it!!!

This time around (with baby #2) nobody was privy to the name discussion apart from me and my husband. Now that Lisette has arrived, everyone is all, "I LOVE the name!!!" - whether that is true or not, who knows? But at least we avoided the whole "baby not born yet so everyone has carte blanche to say what they want" thing ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pancake said:

This is PRECISELY my take on it!!!

This time around (with baby #2) nobody was privy to the name discussion apart from me and my husband. Now that Lisette has arrived, everyone is all, "I LOVE the name!!!" - whether that is true or not, who knows? But at least we avoided the whole "baby not born yet so everyone has carte blanche to say what they want" thing ;-)
The other say I was skimming though a fairly "hipster" baby name forum. I noticed a lot of the names were, IMHO, ridiculous. My apologies if these are anyone's choices, but they had names people were actually planning to name their child that included Leonidas, Pear, and Schuyler (I guess pronounced Skyler)

I was posting on Facebook that I thought the names were silly, and that boy names are hard for me as I find none really fit our needs. Well, HUGE MISTAKE. apparently that was a free invitation for everyone on there to start suggesting names. We got dozens! I finally had to be like, "this is our baby, I appreciate all the suggestions but we will do this on our own and would prefer you refrain from suggestions"

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Niel said:
The other say I was skimming though a fairly "hipster" baby name forum. I noticed a lot of the names were, IMHO, ridiculous. My apologies if these are anyone's choices, but they had names people were actually planning to name their child that included Leonidas, Pear, and Schuyler (I guess pronounced Skyler) I was posting on Facebook that I thought the names were silly, and that boy names are hard for me as I find none really fit our needs. Well, HUGE MISTAKE. apparently that was a free invitation for everyone on there to start suggesting names. We got dozens! I finally had to be like, "this is our baby, I appreciate all the suggestions but we will do this on our own and would prefer you refrain from suggestions"

In all fairness, Schuyler is the original spelling if Skyler. But yeah, there are definitely some ridiculous names out there. I just read on a acquaintance's fb page about a little girl name Charlytt. Charlotte is a lovely name, so why butcher it? It just makes the parents look illiterate.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1410792816|3751220 said:
Niel said:
The other say I was skimming though a fairly "hipster" baby name forum. I noticed a lot of the names were, IMHO, ridiculous. My apologies if these are anyone's choices, but they had names people were actually planning to name their child that included Leonidas, Pear, and Schuyler (I guess pronounced Skyler) I was posting on Facebook that I thought the names were silly, and that boy names are hard for me as I find none really fit our needs. Well, HUGE MISTAKE. apparently that was a free invitation for everyone on there to start suggesting names. We got dozens! I finally had to be like, "this is our baby, I appreciate all the suggestions but we will do this on our own and would prefer you refrain from suggestions"

In all fairness, Schuyler is the original spelling if Skyler. But yeah, there are definitely some ridiculous names out there. I just read on a acquaintance's fb page about a little girl name Charlytt. Charlotte is a lovely name, so why butcher it? It just makes the parents look illiterate.

Yea I had seen that that was the original spelling. I just think no one in that kids life will pronounce it correctly. And I just imagine all the first days of school, Dr appointments and online dating sites that kid would have to go though. Though i can respect the sentiment, seems like poor execution.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Niel said:

I agree with you and am cringing at the spelling "Charlytt." I'd always want to use the most common spelling of a name so that my kid won't have to go through life correcting everyone. That's why I couldn't let DH use "Caitlin" - I like the sound and it goes well with our last name, but there's no predominant spelling for the name.

A friend of a friend named her baby Tywin after the Game of Thrones character. Not sure why she'd want to name her son after a fictional villain.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1410793867|3751225 said:
Niel said:

Yea I had seen that that was the original spelling. I just think no one in that kids life will pronounce it correctly. And I just imagine all the first days of school, Dr appointments and online dating sites that kid would have to go though. Though i can respect the sentiment, seems like poor execution.

It does make it hard, for sure. I mean I know that it is Skyler and still pronounce it Shoe-ler half the time.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
SMC|1410299885|3747998 said:
Niel|1410299125|3747988 said:
My DH and I both like popular names too. I think because we don't have too many friends with kids so we think that our choices are unique until we look them up and discover that they're all in the top 50 in the last few years. Doesn't really stop us from using them though.

I like Zelda. I associate it with F Scott Fitzgerald's wife. And nothing wrong with Link!

Agatha is a big name for a little girl! What about Agnes? Would you consider that?

We decided on Riley for our daughter. We had a list of 5 gender-neutral names (Quinn, Riley, Casey, Peyton, Skyler), and that was the only name that neither of us disliked though it was not #1 for either of us. It was truly a compromise for us.

I love Riley! Reminds me of the Lightening Seeds song "The Life of Riley". Always wanted to name a baby this when I was in my early 20s because of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UVzXh4ixhs

SMC

Ideal_Rock
LaurenThePartier|1410809787|3751374 said:
My DH and I both like popular names too. I think because we don't have too many friends with kids so we think that our choices are unique until we look them up and discover that they're all in the top 50 in the last few years. Doesn't really stop us from using them though.

I like Zelda. I associate it with F Scott Fitzgerald's wife. And nothing wrong with Link!

Agatha is a big name for a little girl! What about Agnes? Would you consider that?

We decided on Riley for our daughter. We had a list of 5 gender-neutral names (Quinn, Riley, Casey, Peyton, Skyler), and that was the only name that neither of us disliked though it was not #1 for either of us. It was truly a compromise for us.

I love Riley! Reminds me of the Lightening Seeds song "The Life of Riley". Always wanted to name a baby this when I was in my early 20s because of this song.

LTP, thanks for that link! I've never heard of this song before and I love it!

Do you have name candidates for your daughter yet?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
SMC|1410811681|3751397 said:
LaurenThePartier|1410809787|3751374 said:

LTP, thanks for that link! I've never heard of this song before and I love it!

Do you have name candidates for your daughter yet?

It might have been a bit before your time (look at the hair in that video!) :)

We were 100% decided on Wright for a boy and hadn't told a soul about it for 4 years. One of our intense passions is architecture and we really love FLW homes, so it seemed a natural fit since my husband's initials are WWW, and the family tradition for boys is to use (New W Name, Father's First Name, Last Name). There is no such tradition for girls.

So, one of my friends was going through potential names once we found out it was a girl, and she (as any architectural restoration Columbia major would) immediately came up with Chris Wren and Wright. I kinda like it for a girl, but DH is pushing back because what if we a boy later on? We might use my maiden as her middle, since that's my middle name, as well.

So, in my list are the following names in no particular order . . .

Clara (I grew up going to the Nutcracker)
Ella/Ellie
Louisa (my Grandmother's name)
Wright
Wren
Wynne
Lark
Avignon (nickname Avi)

SMC

Ideal_Rock
LaurenThePartier|1410817509|3751462 said:
It might have been a bit before your time (look at the hair in that video!) :)

We were 100% decided on Wright for a boy and hadn't told a soul about it for 4 years. One of our intense passions is architecture and we really love FLW homes, so it seemed a natural fit since my husband's initials are WWW, and the family tradition for boys is to use (New W Name, Father's First Name, Last Name). There is no such tradition for girls.

So, one of my friends was going through potential names once we found out it was a girl, and she (as any architectural restoration Columbia major would) immediately came up with Chris Wren and Wright. I kinda like it for a girl, but DH is pushing back because what if we a boy later on? We might use my maiden as her middle, since that's my middle name, as well.

So, in my list are the following names in no particular order . . .

Clara (I grew up going to the Nutcracker)
Ella/Ellie
Louisa (my Grandmother's name)
Wright
Wren
Wynne
Lark
Avignon (nickname Avi)
Wow, lots of choices. I don't think that the name "Wright" is obviously masculine, and think it could work for a girl. I guess I don't really believe in "saving" names, because what if you have another little girl and you don't get to use it at all? DH and I have one boy's name picked out and we love it so much that we're going to be using it on our second child, regardless of gender. It's sort of gender-neutral too (or at least I keep telling myself that).

You still have plenty of time to decide! And I have to say that Avignon is an interesting choice, I don't think I've ever heard that name before. Very unique.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
lauren, how much longer do you have to go? So exciting! Is Avignon of particular significance to you and DH?

I was monumentally stuck with boys' names. We had it down to Julian and Hugo but now I've decided I don't like Julian enough any more... so if #3 (if we are lucky enough to have #3) is a boy, I guess Hugo will be his name! My other favourite boy name is Marcus but it won't work with DH's surname, so that's out. And DH was anti-Lucien in both pregnancies, so...

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't even guess Charlotte from Charlytt. I'd pronounce it Charlie-tee-tee or Charlight. Is there a middle name?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well we are having a boy.

I had our girl name just about sorted out. I was sure it was a girl. It was going to be Josephine Frances..... and every time id talk about it with my DH, the baby would kick. I WAS SO SURE :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Buuuuut Im getting over it.

Now Im screwed. The absolute only name my husband and I like is Marshall Francis (as you can tell the middle name has to be francis/es) Problem is It sounds a bit like Mabel. And my dogs name is Mort. And my DH's name starts with an M too.

Im utterly depressed about this. I have no idea what to do. Looking at other baby names gets me super upset because i just hate everything. They just arent "us"

closest thing to other names we have include
luther
Wallace
Arnold - hubby doesnt seem to like the nn
Lewis / louis - the double s sound in the nn and fn seem concerning....

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: ive been walking around with the Peanuts music a la Arrested development all day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results