shape
carat
color
clarity

help with Sholdt half bezel setting

hair guru

Rough_Rock
Trade
I need opinions on my engagement ring. I had a 4 prong setting engagement ring. (Not from current bf) It never got worn at work because as a hairstylist, I found shampooing long hair was impossible without getting hair wrapped and caught around the prongs. I also worried about banging my hands around on the shampoo sink and loosening the prongs. I want to wear my new engagement ring at work. So I thought Sholdt's half bezel is perfect. I love the sleekness and the minimalist look. I am going to try it on next week at a store that has a 1ct in plantinum, palladium and white gold. We are looking at diamonds that are 1.0 to 1.30ct. and I think for wear & tear purposes we'll have the setting made in platinum. As long as I like the look in person. Here are my concerns:

1. Am I going to be at risk of chipping the side of the diamond that is not covered by the bezel because I'm so hard on my hands? Should I look for a full bezel style instead? So gel and goop doesn't get caught up under the stone? This is the only full bezel I've found that I like, which brought me to consider something other than a round

2. I love the look of "elle chris" setting. There is this thread: www.pricescope.com/.../elle-chris-portland-kelly-other-sholdt-semi-bezel- owners-t185816.html
which shows that there were clear differences in the way the setting was made recently for another womans ring, who returned it...And I would have done the same thing. Is there any new Sholdt half bezel owners that can comment or show pics of their rings? Or can I just try to stress to GOG to have Sholdt make it like Elle's?

3. Does anyone have "on the finger" pics of a cushion cut with Sholdt's half bezel? I liked the look of the half bezel setting and imagine it will be an AVR from Good Old Gold that we put in it. But recently I've been looking at the cushions to maybe get a little more diamond for less $ than the AVR...do the corners destroy the fluidness or change the look so much?

4. Also, please some opinions on whether to stay with a 1ct or go to 1.30 round? Bf has a concern about it looking like he broke the bank on something that wont be regarded as a spec on my finger. I'm a size 5. The setting was priced at $2,250 for 1.30 round in platinum, so we have a little less than $8,000 to spend on a diamond. Am I silly wanting him to spend that kind of money on something that will be covered in hairspray and gel for 50 hours a week anyway? :think:

elle_chris_0.jpg

sholdt_with_cushion_0.jpg

full_0.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I have the sholdt semi bezel with an E-W set EC diamond. I love, love, love my setting! Mine is 18 wg and hasn't needed any polishing or plating since I got it two years ago. So I'm a fan. When I was shopping for my setting and saw it IRL I was instantly sure it was "my perfect ring".

Now as to the diamond, you haven't mentioned the color range you want, but you won't find an AVR or AVC in the $8k up to 1.30ct unless you go lower in color. Rounds face up larger than cushions so here would be two options both slightly over your budget and I in color:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11109/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12281/

I love the August Vintage line and had an AVC recently. I returned it because I decided to save up for a larger diamond. But it was absolutely gorgeous. This wasn't for an engagement ring, I've been married a while, it was to be an alternate ring.

Always look at the mm on diamonds to see size. Neither will look like a spec on your finger! And the semi bezels make diamonds look larger so that's a plus.

I can't say I would recommend wearing your ring while washing hair, I would be concerned it could slip off. My stylist does wear her gorgeous ring while cutting and styling my hair so I guess that's okay. I would just clean it every night after work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably would not wear a diamond ring while doing the work you do. It will cause a lot of wear and tear to your ring. You definitely could crack your diamond if you whack it on the shampoo sink. I guess you just need to be sure you have good insurance on the ring if you do choose to wear it to work. And as woofmama said, be sure to clean your ring every night at home.

I love a round in the Sholdt ring and do not like the cushion at all in it. I have an AVR and adore it, but I see the Sholdt ring as very modern, so I'd put a modern round brilliant in that setting, personally. The other bezel setting you showed is an antique setting, and that would look better to me with an AVR or AVC. I do think a bezel setting is a great idea in your situation.

hair guru

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your replies: woofmama & diamondseeker. I actually looked at that AVR "I" you mention when I was at GOG... along with this "K" that was in our budget.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12315/
I was a little miffed that I couldn't notice a difference in color from K to an I in the lighting at GOG and near the sunlight coming in their windows, but we did see the black spots that you see in that photo. So we passed on it, I don't need to pay the price for IF when I'd be happy with eye clean SI1. So I went to see if my local jeweler had anything interesting and that's when he showed me two 1.22 "Excellent" cushion cut "K" and "I" stones in his office lighting. And I could totally see the difference. So I'm definitely sticking with trying to find the "I" in my budget, just might have to go down in size.

And as far as not wearing it to shampoo, I'll take your advise and take it off. I'm just so forgetful. It makes me nervous that I'd leave it on a counter and never see it again.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy a sturdy-yet-delicate-looking necklace and you can wear it round your neck all day for safety, then put it on to go home :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer semi bezels on the e/w rather than the n/s like that cushion semi picture.

I forget who has an AVC semi...it's a mokume gane (I think that's spelled right?) setting. Gah I'll spell her name wrong...Allenarpio..something like that dangit...but it's a stunning setting, and it's an e/w semi.

I also lean towards the dichotomy of an antique cut stone in a modern/sleek setting. That's part of why I like the semi I just mentioned, and why I adore my own AVC bezeled three stone so much. It's not seen often and I dig how the two different styles play off each other and mesh so well, in an unexpected way.

The round Sholdt semi now...that's something I've had in mind for one of my colored stones, has been a favorite for SO long.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

hair guru

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you pack rat! That's exactly what I was looking for except in platinum! So nice to know I can mix the modern setting with the vintage stone and have it look so beautiful!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that mokume ring :love: :sun:

hair guru

Rough_Rock
Trade
Packrat, your 3 stone ring is gorgeous! Love the vintage looking stone with the modern setting :love: Sholdt sent me a pic of an Asscher in the semi bezel which was quite lovely also, but they did make me aware that a 1.20ct. cushion would wind up looking like a 1 ct. stone in that setting....so now I think I'm going to look at AVR's just because of the size issue.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! An AVR in a semi bezel would be soooo gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results