color
clarity

KUDOS to the NFL for firing player for domestic violence

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1410372734|3748509 said:
NewEnglandLady|1410310695|3748126 said:
I don't see it as victim blaming.

You ARE kidding, aren't you? People are saying Janay Price married the father of her child- with whom she has been living for four years- for his money and you don't call that "victim blaming"?

AGBF

I just meant that I didn't see anybody here saying that she deserved to be abused because she was with a rich NFL player.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1410396402|3748731 said:
We hear all to often of women try to start her life over and have the man track her down and kill her.

Nicole Simpson knew if she divorced OJ he would kill her and left her fears in writing. She knew it was going to happen and left it in writing, but it didn't get OJ Simpson convicted of her murder.

A couple of months ago my daughter's best friend, who just turned 22, left her husband after five years of marriage and beatings. She, like my daughter, is only 22. Her youngest child is 1 year-old. Her oldest is 5. The youngest child was an "oops", but not because she was irresponsible. I had thought-assumed-she had been irresponsible until I was with my daughter visiting her while she was pregnant with the last baby. She was in their one-room apartment (no kitchen...they shared a kitchen with people upstairs). She told me a story of how someone had told her she should have an abortion and how could she? She could hear her baby's heartbeat! She is of Mexican descent, although born in the United States-in Texas-and is Catholic. She was using an I.U.D. because the doctors had refused to tie her tubes, saying she was too young, after her second child. And the I.U.D. had failed.

She led my daughter to believe that her husband, an illegal immigrant from El Salvador whom she had been helping on the road to permanent residency, had stopped beating her. We had moved away from Virginia and did not see her as often as we used to and didn't know the truth. But he had not stopped.

The most recent beating was by far the worst. It was so bad that she was almost unable to get help once he went to work. But she managed. (He, of course, kept her from summoning help while he was home.) The police arrested and jailed him. Her parents, for once assisted her and helped her and the children move to upstate New York, although they had to go into a shelter there until she found a job. She stayed for years and years of beatings. Her family-although her stepfather has a college education and is a Border Patrol Officer-was never supportive of her. She dropped out of high school her sophomore year at 15. But since then she got a GED and went from working as a hostess at a restaurant to working in retail at JC Penney's. With three children. She wasn't staying with her husband because she was a gold-digger! I think no one else had given her a place to feel loved before. It's a pity to feel you have to be beaten to be loved! That's why I say these matters are complicated.

Deb/AGBF

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF said:
msop04|1410373144|3748516 said:
I believe what Vick did was terrible, no question! It's disgusting, and I'm glad he was punished and served time for what he did. He has done his time.
...​
I don't necessarily "wish him well" but I don't hope he is injured or killed. That's effed up, IMHO... but whatever.

Well, as my husband always said, that's why there is vanilla and chocolate. Here is what I feel. Many murderers who have killed with extenuating circumstances have "done their time" and still not been released. Many have been put to death. Many innocent people have been put to death.

Michael Vick should have been put to death.

I am not going to put him to death myself, but I am sorry as hell no one has killed him yet. In my opinion he was probably worshipped in prison rather than beaten up like so many poor, young kids there. It's a pity he wasn't killed there, like so many vulnerable, mentally ill prisoners. It's a pity he hasn't been killed in a fight in some club like many other thugs of his ilk when he got out and resumed clubbing. He is just so rich that he probably has adequate bodyguards. But no one was there to protect the little dogs he tortured. If I had been and I'd had a gun, I'd have shot him dead as a door nail. He is a thug. He will kill the innocent again. He is probably doing it secretly now with a smug grin on his evil face.

AGBF

As you mentioned to someone else earlier in this thread, this is simply your opinion... that is all. I don't like the man either, but coming from someone who says they are all about equality and forgiveness, your comments are pretty damning.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1410406511|3748833 said:
As you mentioned to someone else earlier in this thread, this is simply your opinion... that is all. I don't like the man either, but coming from someone who says they are all about equality and forgiveness, your comments are pretty damning.

I said I'm "all about equality and forgiveness"? Give me that citation! I have one of the worst tempers known to man! It's why I learned to apologize so early in life.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF said:

I said I'm "all about equality and forgiveness"? Give me that citation! I have one of the worst tempers known to man! It's why I learned to apologize so early in life.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Have you not made it clear in thread after thread that you believe in equality to all people?? If that was not you and you don't advocate for it regularly in various Hangout threads, then I apologize... I guess I was mistaken.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1410412701|3748854 said:
AGBF said:

Have you not made it clear in thread after thread that you believe in equality to all people?? If that was not you and you don't advocate for it regularly in various Hangout threads, then I apologize... I guess I was mistaken.

Of course I believe in equality.

What on earth has that got to do with saying that "I" am "all about forgiveness and equality"?

How about some plain speaking.

AGBF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1410395019|3748722 said:
msop04|1410373144|3748516 said:
I believe what Vick did was terrible, no question! It's disgusting, and I'm glad he was punished and served time for what he did. He has done his time.
...​
I don't necessarily "wish him well" but I don't hope he is injured or killed. That's effed up, IMHO... but whatever.

Well, as my husband always said, that's why there is vanilla and chocolate. Here is what I feel. Many murderers who have killed with extenuating circumstances have "done their time" and still not been released. Many have been put to death. Many innocent people have been put to death.

Michael Vick should have been put to death.

I am not going to put him to death myself, but I am sorry as hell no one has killed him yet. In my opinion he was probably worshipped in prison rather than beaten up like so many poor, young kids there. It's a pity he wasn't killed there, like so many vulnerable, mentally ill prisoners. It's a pity he hasn't been killed in a fight in some club like many other thugs of his ilk when he got out and resumed clubbing. He is just so rich that he probably has adequate bodyguards. But no one was there to protect the little dogs he tortured. If I had been and I'd had a gun, I'd have shot him dead as a door nail. He is a thug. He will kill the innocent again. He is probably doing it secretly now with a smug grin on his evil face.

AGBF

Deb, I agree with you. I wouldn't mourn him if he died. I am sorry if that is shocking to some PSers but that is how I feel. I am not a violent person but what he did is so horrible that well I wouldn't be upset should he come to an untimely end that's all I am saying. He is a thug and yes IMO the world would be a better place without him. As for the other NFL players I am not aware of the details and cannot give an educated opinion for that reason. But regarding Michael Vick this is how I most definitely feel.

And msop04 I am doubtful that he will never harm anyone or any living being again and I am sorry to say I think it is naive if you truly think that he is reformed. He'll just be more careful now.

And my heart goes out to that little girl caught in the middle of this latest NFL tragedy.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
They had a story on the Today Show this morning about Rice and the support that he's receiving. They interviewed several female fans still wearing his jersey. One woman said, “As a woman, she shouldn’t have hit him. If I hit you, I would expect you to hit me back. And that’s just how that goes.”
Unbelievable. I have no words...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1410523569|3749616 said:
They had a story on the Today Show this morning about Rice and the support that he's receiving. They interviewed several female fans still wearing his jersey. One woman said, “As a woman, she shouldn’t have hit him. If I hit you, I would expect you to hit me back. And that’s just how that goes.”
Unbelievable. I have no words...
Not to that extent but I do support Rice. Not what he did, but that he deserves fair treatment, regardless of if the incident was videotaped. First offense gets 6 games. Those are the rules. If the NFL wants to change their policy to a one and done, then fine. However, even at that point, is it fair to retroactively punish hin? Will they do that with all their previous domestic violence offenders?

The NFL is trying to save the shield by throwing Rice under the bus. Now they look "tough on domestic violence" even when,in reality, they don't care. They have a union, and I think this will get sorted out- I hope, but I find it disgusting that Goodell only cares out this effects him, and doesn't care about women, domestic violence, or the players.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^The NFL is throwing Rice under the bus :confused: I'm pretty sure that Rice has demonstrated that he's a complete douche bag and needs no "help" from the NFL... Making excuses for him (and his behavior) is pretty disturbing. Also, if you're going to point out "fair" treatment, do you think that Rice, who is CLEARLY at a physical advantage, thought that it was "fair" fight when he punched her in the face??? Fairness does not even apply here.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1410525376|3749642 said:
^The NFL is throwing Rice under the bus :confused: I'm pretty sure that Rice has demonstrated that he's a complete douche bag and needs no "help" from the NFL... Making excuses for him (and his behavior) is pretty disturbing. Also, if you're going to point out "fair" treatment, do you think that Rice, who is CLEARLY at a physical advantage, thought that it was "fair" fight when he punched her in the face??? Fairness does not even apply here.

Absolutely Goodell is throwing rice under the bus. They have a procedure in place to punish players who are charged in domestic violence cases.

first offense 6 game suspension

second offense up to a lifetime ban

This, though his second video, is his first offense. Now you may not agree with the procedure in place, but thats the procedure in place. Let alone the fact that his incident was before those stricter guidelines were put in place, and the league had already punished him for it. Sufficiently? No. Two games is laughable. But, at what point is a governing body allowed to retroactively change a punishment on a member whe no new evidence is presented.

They knew he hit his wife. he admitted to hitting her. And, for what it looks like, they had this video months ago. But only now, once the public sees it, its an outrage to Goodell? No. They don't care. They are only trying to save face over what was a damaging blow to their reputation. They should have punished him more to start.

I get domestic violence is an upsetting issue. It is for me as well. But please read what I am saying, and do not put words in my mouth. I am making no excuses for his behavior, and I said absolutely nothing about his wife, so I have no idea where you got the idea that i thought it was fair he "punched her in the face"

My point, is that Goodell should not be commended for what he did. He does not care about domestic violence. Everything he has done is a PR ploy, and he has done it in a hyperbolic and irresponsible way. He is using what happened to Ray Rice's wife to save face, not protect future women in NFL domestic violence cases.

And to your point that "fairness doesnt apply". Yes it does. It applies in every case. Thats why this is America. Whether you support an offender or not, they deserve fair and due process.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Well, then I guess that you'll have to forgive me for not boo-boo-hoo-ing over Rice being treated unfairly by the NFL :roll:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1410528355|3749680 said:
^Well, then I guess that you'll have to forgive me for not boo-boo-hoo-ing over Rice being treated unfairly by the NFL :roll:
I don't really think that expecting a person to get a just punishment for their crimes (vs being sacrificed as a politics pawn) "boo-hoo'ing"

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With Niel ... I'm finding the NFl's conduct to be deplorable. I never thought a six game suspension was appropriate, but they need to step up and admit they gave him a pass & acted in appropriately instead of expecting a cookie for ante'ing up once they got caught.

As for the idea that a woman deserves what she gets if she hits a man ... yes and no. Women are certainly culpable when they initiate violence. Women should not hit men and expect it to be seen as acceptable because they're smaller. Men can certainly defend themselves.

Appropriately. Cold-cocking somebody a quarter your size? Appropriate if they pull a knife, maybe. Not if they sock you in the arm. It's be akin to me slamming a 9-year old across the room if one were to whop me, and I think we can all agree that's inappropriate.

On another note: to my regret, I watched the video. And I have NO idea what the hell all of these "she spit on him! She hit him first!" people are talking about. To me it looks like she whacks him in the arm when they're walking into the elevator: he shoves her or slaps her lightly in the side of the face once they're in and pressing the button for their floor; she whirls on him after he's hit her in the face first, however lightly or not lightly; *then* he punches her full force and knocks her out. There isn't a rubber yardstick in the world by which one can justify the violence of his reaction.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1410534637|3749731 said:
With Niel ... I'm finding the NFl's conduct to be deplorable. I never thought a six game suspension was appropriate, but they need to step up and admit they gave him a pass & acted in appropriately instead of expecting a cookie for ante'ing up once they got caught.

As for the idea that a woman deserves what she gets if she hits a man ... yes and no. Women are certainly culpable when they initiate violence. Women should not hit men and expect it to be seen as acceptable because they're smaller. Men can certainly defend themselves.

Appropriately. Cold-cocking somebody a quarter your size? Appropriate if they pull a knife, maybe. Not if they sock you in the arm. It's be akin to me slamming a 9-year old across the room if one were to whop me, and I think we can all agree that's inappropriate.

On another note: to my regret, I watched the video. And I have NO idea what the hell all of these "she spit on him! She hit him first!" people are talking about. To me it looks like she whacks him in the arm when they're walking into the elevator: he shoves her or slaps her lightly in the side of the face once they're in and pressing the button for their floor; she whirls on him after he's hit her in the face first, however lightly or not lightly; *then* he punches her full force and knocks her out. There isn't a rubber yardstick in the world by which one can justify the violence of his reaction.

Spot on Circe.

This covers it pretty well too.

"Why do men feel threatened by women?" I asked a male friend of mine. So this male friend of mine, who does by the way exist, conveniently entered into the following dialogue. "I mean," I said, "men are bigger, most of the time, they can run faster, strangle better, and they have on the average a lot more money and power." "They're afraid women will laugh at them," he said. "Undercut their world view." Then I asked some women students in a quickie poetry seminar I was giving, "Why do women feel threatened by men?" "They're afraid of being killed," they said.

Atwood, Margaret, Writing the Male Character (1982) (reprinted in Second Words: Selected Critical Prose from a Hagey Lecture on February 9, 1982, at the University of Waterloo)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find the whole thing disgusting and don't understand why the guy isn't in JAIL! But I technically agree with Niel in how screwed up the NFL is. So they first give him a 2 game suspension knowing full well what he did, then decide to toughen up the rules when there is public pressure, and then they don't follow their own new rules and do a permanent suspension on a first offense because the public now can see the video???? Maybe if there was a zero tolerance policy and no players with felonies allowed, some of these guys would think before they do horrible things. That is what I support..commit a felony that has to do with violence and you don't get to play ever. I am glad I already hate football because I don't have to stop watching it now since I never did.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1410556699|3749957 said:
I find the whole thing disgusting and don't understand why the guy isn't in JAIL! But I technically agree with Niel in how screwed up the NFL is. So they first give him a 2 game suspension knowing full well what he did, then decide to toughen up the rules when there is public pressure, and then they don't follow their own new rules and do a permanent suspension on a first offense because the public now can see the video???? Maybe if there was a zero tolerance policy and no players with felonies allowed, some of these guys would think before they do horrible things. That is what I support..commit a felony that has to do with violence and you don't get to play ever. I am glad I already hate football because I don't have to stop watching it now since I never did.

But it's not about what's right.
It's about money.

If the best players have a felony or two or beat their women, so what?
They bring in trillions of dollars.

This fiasco is just more proof that money is all that ultimately matters in the most pious and hypocritical country in the world.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree it's all about money, and apparently a lot of football fans do not care about the moral aspects.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1410534637|3749731 said:

Agree.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny's right and it's something I've said a million times. In our country it does NOT matter what you do. Especially if you have tons of money or the potential to bring in tons of money. There are people who will spend millions of dollars to defend the rights of people who molest kids. There are people who will go to the ends of the earth to scream that we can not violate people's rights and that even the lowest of the low deserve as much as everyone else. It does NOT matter if you kill people or torture animals.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1410567721|3750074 said:
I totally agree it's all about money, and apparently a lot of football fans do not care about the moral aspects.

Not only do these fans not care, they openly defend "their" players and give them standing ovations when they come on the field. So disgusting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider DH and myself avid football fans.

We are absolutely outraged by the situation.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the hits (literal) just keep on coming! The rot at the core of that testosterone and money soaked game we call fooball, is really starting to bubble up to the surface. Adrian Peterson indicted for child harm.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/09/12/minnesota_vikings_running_back_adrian_peterson_reportedly_indicted_for_child.html

Right now he's suspended with pay, according to NPR, which also mentioned that what the NFL is truly terrified of, is that women will get activated and start putting pressure on their sponsors.

IMO, women should get activated and just quit watching the damn game.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1410616936|3750282 said:
And the hits (literal) just keep on coming! The rot at the core of that testosterone and money soaked game we call fooball, is really starting to bubble up to the surface. Adrian Peterson indicted for child harm.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/09/12/minnesota_vikings_running_back_adrian_peterson_reportedly_indicted_for_child.html

Right now he's suspended with pay, according to NPR, which also mentioned that what the NFL is truly terrified of, is that women will get activated and start putting pressure on their sponsors.

This isn't just a women's issue. I see no reason why a man hit his child isn't an issue men should feel strongly about.

And by expecting only women to be upset about domestic violence won't change viewpoints and actions of men.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Niel said:

This isn't just a women's issue. I see no reason why a man hit his child isn't an issue men should feel strongly about.

And by expecting only women to be upset about domestic violence won't change viewpoints and actions of men.

This is true. What's disappointing - really, completely, full Jewish-mother "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" - is that men consistently, um, *aren't.*. Every time I see a guy hemming and hawing about how, well, sure but rape is really a "he said, she said" issue or women *do* lie, or whatever, all I can think is, seriously, what is wrong with our society that the first line of identification is still boy vs girl, that these dudes will identify with even the most utter sociopaths, so long as they share the same junk. Dunno how that will fall out with kids involved, but I'm not optimistic.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Niel said:

This is true. What's disappointing - really, completely, full Jewish-mother "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" - is that men consistently, um, *aren't.*. Every time I see a guy hemming and hawing about how, well, sure but rape is really a "he said, she said" issue or women *do* lie, or whatever, all I can think is, seriously, what is wrong with our society that the first line of identification is still boy vs girl, that these dudes will identify with even the most utter sociopaths, so long as they share the same junk. Dunno how that will fall out with kids involved, but I'm not optimistic.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

His two year old son died last year as well. He was beaten to death by the new boyfriend of Adrian's baby's mother/ex girlfriend. Just so sad. It's like he doesn't value these precious gifts he was given at all.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1410619211|3750305 said:

And by expecting men to change those viewpoints without some sort of goad, is a pipe dream too. As Circe points out, they just...don't. The societal rewards for downplaying domestic abuse or ignoring it as a "woman's concern" (read: inferior/not worthy of their full attention) are still too great.

Clearly, the NFL thinks they have the male support all wrapped up, and they are probably spot on. My husband's suggestion is that rather than putting pressure on the sponsors, for women to just not date men who watch the NFL. Yes, yes, I know that isn't going to happen, and so does he, but I guaran-damn-tee that men will MOVE when the women desert them.

I guess I just lucked out because my husband LOATHES football (and pretty much all spectator sports) so I never had to learn to like it or to give huge swaths of my time to a sport that I find distasteful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86 said:

His two year old son died last year as well. He was beaten to death by the new boyfriend of Adrian's baby's mother/ex girlfriend. Just so sad. It's like he doesn't value these precious gifts he was given at all.
OK now, his son was killed by the mother's boyfriend. I do not find that AP's fault, so to include that as an indictment of his character is unfair. He was clearly heartbroken over the situation

As for him using a switch to spank his son, I won't comment. I know in some African American cultures it is/ was a standard sort of punishment. To the point they included jokes about it in the TV show Community. I don't condone corporal punishment but I'm not going to lump him in with Ray Rice and his deplorable actions just because both story's broke in the same month. I don't think anyone knows enough about the situation.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger said:
Niel|1410619211|3750305 said:

And by expecting men to change those viewpoints without some sort of goad, is a pipe dream too. As Circe points out, they just...don't. The societal rewards for downplaying domestic abuse or ignoring it as a "woman's concern" (read: inferior/not worthy of their full attention) are still too great.

Clearly, the NFL thinks they have the male support all wrapped up, and they are probably spot on. My husband's suggestion is that rather than putting pressure on the sponsors, for women to just not date men who watch the NFL. Yes, yes, I know that isn't going to happen, and so does he, but I guaran-damn-tee that men will MOVE when the women desert them.

I guess I just lucked out because my husband LOATHES football (and pretty much all spectator sports) so I never had to learn to like it or to give huge swaths of my time to a sport that I find distasteful.
I never had to learn to like anything for my husband, or any man's sake. I love football and I won't apologize for that. I also won't pretend this incident isnt bad. It is. But there are many reputable organizations and players that do not need to be lumped in with a "permanent ban".

Boycotting the NFL is what leads to face value calls like what Goodell did with ray rice. Admitting that a thing you love is broken and actively trying to fix the culture is better than throwing your hands up, IMHO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results