shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Is Tiffany "world's premier jeweler"?

Is Tiffany "world's premier jeweler"?

• Yes

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • No

Votes: 46 90.2%

• Total voters

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany s site says it is "world's premier jeweler."

Please choose "Yes" or "No"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say, Tiffany is the wold's premier jewelry marketer.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, Victor's pave is by far superior another P/S member and I have taken VC pieces into Tiffany and compared, so most high end jewellers on P/S are better and cheaper. Having said that the designs & workmanship of the exclusive one off Tiffany pieces are amazing.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nah. Ad hype.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think their name recognition makes them a world recognized jeweler and their prices may make them one of the more profitable.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're going for premium and branding, wouldn't Bulgari, Cartier etc trump Tiffany ? :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1410345700|3748271 said:
I think their name recognition makes them a world recognized jeweler and their prices may make them one of the more profitable.

+100.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
re·mier
prēˈm(y)i(ə)r,ˈprēmēər,ˈprēˌmi(ə)r/
adjective
adjective: premier

first in importance, order, or position; leading.

I voted no, but ... I guess it depends on one's definition of "importance." I can name a dozen jewelry houses that adhere to a higher standard, that produce more creative designs, that have a greater influence on the industry as a whole. But if you average it all out and incorporate some of the things that I wouldn't consider factors but that others (like shareholders) might? You know, profit, exposure, all that jazz?

... they're up there. :think:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Good to see you danny.

I'd much, much rather have something from Cartier.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome back, Danny.
T & Co. is a very good, trustworthy jeweler but definitely not premier. The only ones I would call premier are Graff and Leviev.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is Tiffany one of the world's premier jewellers?
Yes, I do, by my interpretation of Circe's referenced definition.

The Schlumberger brooches are a good example - they, in my opinion, embody the idea of bringing artistic vision to life - and with impeccable manufacture. Tiffany has a rich history that's every bit as colourful and gloried as any of the other houses'... I do think that by choosing to become accessible to the masses Tiffany has changed their brand. I used to think that sort of change was synonymous with 'devalue', but I'm not sure I still believe that! I certainly believe that that decision both greatly increased name awareness amongst a variety of demographics and likely decreased its cachet in the eyes of the upper middle class (lower upper class?)... the truly wealthy, the truly elite, well, they're commissioning one-offs to complement their vintage heritages and I sincerely doubt they care what the "general collective" thinks of their selections :bigsmile:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would rather have Cartier and even that is not "world premiere"

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Danny! :wavey:

Tiffany's is certainly one of the world's best-known jewelers, and they do have some beautiful stuff. And... if you took an on-the street poll here in the U.S., you'd probably find that a majority of the people polled would agree that Tiffany is "the world's premier jeweler."

Does that make it so? Personally, I don't think so. But then again, what's in a title? ;))

If someone were to give me, say , $10,000 with instructions to spend it at the world's best jewelry house, I wouldn't look to Tiffany's first. If someone were to give me $10,000 and tell me that it was mine to spend only at Tiffany's... I'd have no trouble spending it there!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted "no" but based on the definition above I'd agree that they may indeed be the most recognized & perhaps best-selling jewelry BRAND in the world. (Agree with others though that I personally would rather have Cartier or VCA if price was no object. However I do own some Tiffany pieces - because those have been more affordable over the years.)

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
I adore Tiffany. Since there is no defined criteria by any industry body for what constitutes the world's premier jeweler, who gets that title must surely be in the eye of the beholder. It's subjective. I like Tiffany the best out of all the high-end jewelry brands, so to me, Tiffany is the world's premier jeweler. Their Blue Book stuff is amazing. I saw a yellow diamond tiara in one recently.

I find Cartier's selection very limited compared to what Tiffany carries, and I'm not mad about many of the Van Cleef designs. (These are two of the reasons why I like Tiffany so much.) However, I do have three Cartier pieces including a Trinity ring and I like them a lot.

My favorite metal is probably silver, and Tiffany has beautiful metalwork in silver. You might have seen my olive leaf cuff in SMTB, and I recently bought the extra-large Enchant pendant in silver. The metalwork looks like Venetian gates and is just beautiful.

I guess it's easier to love Tiffany than the others, for me, because there is just so much more that I am able to buy at Tiffany. For example, those two silver pieces I just mentioned have a lot of impact and did not break the bank.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1410336671|3748253 said:
I'd say, Tiffany is the wold's premier jewelry marketer.

I have to agree with Kenny here. Although I own a Tiffany Fancy Yellow diamond ring, I don't think of them
as THE premier jeweler, that goes to HW, Graff, and VCA, etc. imo.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I love Tiffany and have had the most excellent customer service experiences. I suppose that I would rank them up pretty high as a premier jeweler, but certainly not what I would consider the most premier...

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Most widely known in North America? Yes.
Considered to be "of high quality" to the general public? Yes

World Premier according to PS? No. (Unless you mean their prices :lol: )

"World's Premier" globally? No. Different regions have their own localized premier jewellery brands. "Classic American Opulence" just doesn't sell well in all markets.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
I have to sadly vote for yes they are. because to a vast majority of average Joe's, Tiffany is the ultimate brand name in Jewellery.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
hippi_pixi|1410516687|3749589 said:
I have to sadly vote for yes they are. because to a vast majority of average Joe's, Tiffany is the ultimate brand name in Jewellery.

I agree. In many movies, that Tiffany box is used as the perfect gift. It's recognizable by even non jewelry people. Tiffany Blue is a color people recognize. There is no other jeweler I can name that is so widely recognized by so many.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany is found in vastly more locations than ones such as VCA or Harry Winston or even Cartier, and they do have the sterling line, so more people can access them. I have only been in the really high end jewelers in NYC and Las Vegas. I would be able to buy little in those highest end stores. I like the VCA Alhambra line, Cartier Trinity and watches, Tiffany DBTY, Enchant, Cobblestone, some Victoria, some Schlumberger (although it is really high), etc. So right now, on $10k items and less, there are more items I could buy from Tiffany than the others. However, in reality, I had my DBTY made by WhiteFlash because I believed it to be better quality (diamonds for sure) and less than half the price. Same with Victor...for the things he makes, I'd choose him over any of the major jewelry houses for typical pave in platinum pieces. I plan to use Caysie van Bebber again, too. We are just fortunate here to have options that are the finest quality but without incredible brand markup. But I do enjoy buying designer pieces second hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results