shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20140912/Vikings-Peterson.Indicted/

This is a hard one.

I do think parents should be allowed to use reasonable corporal punishment. Standard being things that don't leave a permanent or long term mark.

Whether taking a switch is reasonable though.... If it was to a clothed part of the body. I don't think I'd have a huge problem with it. If it was to an unclothed part of the body... probably would.

MINNESOTA

Parent/legal guardian/caretaker who intentionally uses unreasonable force or cruel discipline that is excessive under the circumstances is guilty of malicious punishment. Sec. 609.377.[Cr.] Parent/legal guardian/caretaker of child can use reasonable force to restrain or correct a child. Sec. 609.379.[Cr.]
http://www.stophitting.com/index.php?page=punishvsabuse

Not sure if this qualifies. It depends TO ME whether it left any permanent marks other than some minor bruising and welts. Is this this player being prosecuted because of the headlines it would garner.

What are your thoughts.

As for this: persons acting in loco parentis (in the place of a parent) had the right to discipline their children by reasonable and timely punishment, including corporal punishment. In other words, if a parent were charged with a crime such as battery, the parent could raise the defense of parental privilege and avoid criminal liability by demonstrating that his use of force against his child was a reasonable exercise of the parental right to discipline. In determining reasonableness, the law considers all of the circumstances surrounding the punishment, including the age and physical condition of the child, the severity of the punishment inflicted on the child and the gravity of the offense committed by the child. A cursory review of the cases indicates that the courts are very deferential to moderate spankings on the buttocks but are more suspicious when permanent injuries or scars are inflicted, when objects such as glass bottles and baseball bats are used and when episodes of beatings continue for prolonged periods of time. The question of whether a parent's disciplinary action is reasonable is a question for the jury.

I'm sure the lawyers will raise the defense. And honestly depending on the extent of injury to the child, I wouldn't be surprised if the charges were dismissed or it was found that his actions were reasonable.

Personally, I prefer the CA standards ove the above: "Unlawful corporal punishment or injury" is any person willfully inflicting upon a child any cruel or inhuman corporal punishment or injury resulting in a traumatic condition. Penal Code Sec. 11165.4.[Cr.]

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a link to the pics of what Peterson did to the child. Imho it was excessive. Maybe Peterson's dad took a switch to him when he was young but ideas about appropriate punishment have changed a lot. I was smacked on the bum a couple times when I was little and don't think I suffered adverse effects from it. My grandfather used to tie his misbehaving sons to the washing machine in the basement for a few days when they were woefully disobedient and they turned out to be upstanding citizens. However, he never hit them. I used to think a little smack here or there wasn't a bad thing but as I've aged have changed my mind. I don't think it's humane to hit a child -- it's the easy solution for parents, but not the right one.

(disclaimer: response composed after 2 glasses of wine so if I haven't answered the question, please forgive.)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, that's not acceptable. A swat on the tail is far different from a switch leaving bleeding welts on the bare arms. There was clearly anger in that discipline and if I were his mother I would be outraged too. I can't imagine the screams and shrieks that went along with that. The problem with corporal punishment is that it is usually doled out when angry and therein lies the dilemma of whether or not it is okay.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg those pics are awful, that poor little boy, it must have been so painful - and to receive pain like that from a person who is supposed to protect you and love you is just heartbreaking. Nobody has the right to injure another person like this. I would be absolutely livid if I was this child's mother. This man lost a child to abuse, how could he do this?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not going to open this story. The comments on it have me so livid that I fear what I might say if I did. A little boy was beaten on his arms by someone he had thought loved him and you are debating it rather than thinking whether there is another bullet in a gun leftover after Michael Vick has been killed? Where is justice in this country? Are all the sadists in charge of the babies and puppies? Did all the adults with sense leave town? Are there no laws protecting the weak? Are you all nuts?

AGBF

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Corporal punishment is lazy parenting. It can leave an emotional mark even if there's not a physical one.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beating is a beating.

Beating someone who has no chance of defending themselves?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A child doesn't get marks on the arms like that from a medium level smack on the backside. A huge guy with a tree branch versus a crying child = no contest. The guy needs a lesson in reasoning/good parenting skills and anger management.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are actually the boys legs and pretty near his crotch in the one. A spanking is one thing but a beating on bare flesh is taking it too far and worse when done in anger.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1410575849|3750147 said:
I'm not going to open this story. The comments on it have me so livid that I fear what I might say if I did. A little boy was beaten on his arms by someone he had thought loved him and you are debating it rather than thinking whether there is another bullet in a gun leftover after Michael Vick has been killed? Where is justice in this country? Are all the sadists in charge of the babies and puppies? Did all the adults with sense leave town? Are there no laws protecting the weak? Are you all nuts?

AGBF

AGBF. I didn't know the kid was 4, and I didn't know the injuries were that bad when I posted this. I clearly should have done my research.

I can see taking a switch to a 15 year old who joy rides drunk. Over his clothes. Because A) there's anger and B) there's fear of the kid hurting himself or someone else. I can see losing it over something like that. So I was reserving judgement.

Now, however, with the pictures and the child's age confirmed... I'm not looking for a bullet, but I do think that he should be locked up for what he did.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read the first linked article. I haven't read any of the comments here.

A parent *should* understand what is currently acceptable as far as child discipline. This dude has no inkling.

You don't hit kids now, and you definitely don't take a switch to them. Fix your issues before you raise a hand or a branch to your child.

I don't care what happened to him throughout his life. He's a parent. He needs to understand that violence begets violence and that he made a poor and wrong choice by punishing his child the way he did.

You don't hit children, with something or with your own body parts. Period.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I am in the UK so am a little late in seeing these pictures of the wounds inflicted on the child. I had heard about it but had not seen anything until now.
Simply not acceptable in any way shape or form, I can literally see the child on the floor screaming for him to stop !!!
When an adult loses control in such a way to inflict injuries to a child there is absolutely no words that can defend such actions.
For this individual to start quoting about his imaginary friends just adds to the fact that he is mentally unstable with the risk of harming children !!!!!

Child abuser who admits to having imaginary friends !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you want someone like this living near you ?

This child will NEVER forget that day for the rest of his life.
Childhood memories are supposed to be good not bad.

By the way I am male and would never ever punish a child in this way, if any of my family or friends had done such a thing I would be inclined to dish out a savage personal beating.

Just my 2 pence.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
No. Absolutely unacceptable. Regardless of age of the child. Regardless of offense. That is not parenting. That is abuse.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A swat on the behind open hand,, no problem.
That was flat out abuse and he should be convicted!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This poor child. He has already lost a sibling to child abuse and now this. How can he possibly ever feel safe and protected. I found it particularly disturbing that his father found this an acceptable form of punishment.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
As a parent, I have no trouble at all determining that any part of this is not okay. Taking a switch to a child is not acceptable parenting. Most people I know wouldn't even do that sort of thing to their pets, let alone their children….

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results