shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncerted OEC Thoughts? - See VIDEO!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
It looks nice in the video. How much do they want for it? Sending it to AGI for cut evaluation will probably be worthless, since they'll probably give you angles which won't tell you how nice this diamond looks. Old cuts can't really be evaluated based on numbers. I'd send it to an appraiser who is familiar with old cuts to evaluate the cut, or GIA to verify specs.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with ForteKitty,
The stone looks beautiful to me! It looks like it's facing up white, and it looks big to me. Is it Just under 2ct, or larger. Also, how much for the stone?

moomie14

Rough_Rock
They are asking $10k for stone and setting. I will try to negotiate down to around $7k. I will likely have reset into an antique setting.

It's 1.91 ct center. She measured herself and says its about 8mm around.

She has an appraisal for $15K including setting from 2011.

So the AGI NY is pointless? Once I buy its mine...the AGI data will be the only data I can react to for deciding to buy or not.

Thoughts? It may be a GREAT find?!?!

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe you'd get the same outcome and peace of mind sending the ring to a good appraiser?

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a great find, so long as you get a good price. Your target price is a good goal, but if you get close that's awesome. Is the setting platinum? Do you know the clarity? If you've been looking with a loupe and playing around with it for a few days and it's eye clean to you, it's probably at least an Si1.

ETA did a quick search for excellent cut (HCA under 2) K/L from PS vendors for 1.9-2.0 ct stones VS2/Si1 and the lower range was $9-10k for the stone only for retail NOW. If it's used stone by a private party, that's another story.

moomie14

Rough_Rock
Appraisal says K/L, VS2 1.91 ct.

Ring is 18K white gold with 16 bead set diamonds of .23 total cts

I called to verify appraisal and its valid. The store also sells a lot of OECs and has many on the site.

I think I'm going to do it.

Is $7K the most I should pay?

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
The problem is the certification, are we comparing apples to apples? I've not heard of AGI so I have no comparison to GIA or AGS. The stone in the video does face up well, but what if its really an M with strong blue fluoro so it masked the color? Would that bother you? Since it's final sale, I would proceed with caution. But if you really like it, then try to get a good price.

I'm not an expert on diamonds by any means, but maybe someone who is more familiar with OECs can chime in? Sometimes they come in later, if you have the time. I think it would be worth your while. Can you upload more pics to see the faceting more clearly?

moomie14

Rough_Rock
Here are the pics I've gotten. What would fluorescence do?

stone_close_0.jpg

_22225.jpg

_22226.jpg

moomie14

Rough_Rock
on hand

_22224.jpg

moomie14

Rough_Rock
more

_22228.jpg

_22229.jpg

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the pics. It really looks lovely and white too. I don't doubt the k/l grading, I'd just want to know for pricing, as the ring itself is beautiful and the stone looks great. Can you send it to a local PS appraiser who has an idealscope at least? Where are you located? It seems you have the ring at home so you could take it to have it evaluated by an independent appraiser. I just wouldn't want to drop that kind of money without confidence in knowing the specs (color/clarity/cut grade), small differences in these metrics can change the value drastically, especially in the larger sizes.

Fluoro can mask color face up. It's impossible to accurately grade diamond color with pics and computers, but it's a start.

moomie14

Rough_Rock
I don't have the ring - those pics were provided to me. The service we are using to sell/buy sends it for review by the company I listed and then I buy from there. Once I have it in hand its mine.

I'm so torn.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
You can't see the ring in person before you decide to buy?

moomie14

Rough_Rock
Nope

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
The setting is lovely. The stone looks promising, however, my eye keeps going to that one dark facet under the table. You can see it in each of the head-on pictures and in the last few seconds of the video. That facet appears to be 'off' all the time. If that facet shows dark all the time that would really bother me.

Any chance of getting another video that shows the stone face on? The current video, she's turning her hand so quickly, it's hard to gauge performance.

moomie14

Rough_Rock
I didn't notice the off facet. I'm going to ask for another video and some more pics head on and from different angles. Will post. Thank you so much everyone for all your feedback!

Please keep it coming.

ThAnks!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Lol... If I saw pictures this clear in any of the ebay diamonds I took a risk in, I would have jumped on it! The off facet is probably reflecting her camera or phone since the diamond is at almost the exact same angle in both pics. I would ask for some outdoor pictures in natural, shaded lighting. The cut looks pretty nice though. Price wise... it really depends on what you want to spend. I think 7k is still decent for L-M 1.90ct oec. Prices have gone up a lot in the past few years for old cuts.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are unsure I'd probably send it to Dave Atlas to ask his opinion, for a reasonable fee he will give you a full appraisal including the colour, clarity, proportions and what he thinks of the stone and what a fair price is that you should pay for it;

http://datlas.com/

That is probably going to be more useful than a report at this point in time.

moomie14

Rough_Rock
More pics

_22243.jpg

_22244.jpg

_22245.jpg

moomie14

Rough_Rock
More

_22246.jpg

_22248.jpg

moomie14

Rough_Rock
More.

_22247.jpg

_22250.jpg

moomie14

Rough_Rock
More

_22254.jpg

_22256.jpg

_22257.jpg

_22253.jpg

moomie14

Rough_Rock
Other thoughts??

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
You can't buy a stone without an appraisal, and a look in person. That's just my opinion. You don't know what you are buying. There must be some way that this could be done. You don't want any surprises......

moomie14

Rough_Rock
Outside shots? Do these help?

Thoughts?

oustide_1.jpg

oustide_2.jpg

moomie14

Rough_Rock
Re: Uncerted OEC Thoughts? - See VIDEO! NEW PICS!!

more out side

outside_3.jpg

outside_4.jpg

outside_5.jpg

moomie14

Rough_Rock
another outside

another_outside.jpg

moomie14

Rough_Rock
bump

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't do it for several reasons:
1. Cannot see the ring in person
2. No returns

I would IF I were allowed to have an independent appraiser of MY choice review the stone to verify the colour, clarity and cut with the option to return it if the OEC doesn't check out. I am not so wealthy as to be able to afford a $7K mistake. One cannot evaluate colour and clarity correctly from photographs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results