shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your experiences on setting a pearl pendant

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would use the Purity diamond cage, but the pearl was so large only the tiniest box chain could fit though the top of the cage. This limited how I could wear it, so I asked for more options.

newcherry1.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I also considered the diamond flame pendant. It was in proportion to the 12mm pearl. It's really pretty and has a nice size opening for medium sized chains.

_22081.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
But I ended up with Orion setting which really went the best with the earring findings. Hisano had a custom diamond by the yard chain created with similar sized diamonds to the pendant finding. I am thrilled how it came out. I like having the option to have my dreams fullfilled. The necklace is removable to use with other pendants.
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-325-orion-diamond-pendant-18k-gold.aspx

_22082.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mapo, NacreLover, thanks for the warning about bail opening. I have never even thought of that and the dew setting was on my radar as it doesn't cover up much of my pearl. Mapo, you saved me from a potential reset. NacreLover, thanks for recommending a medium opening bail.

Icy Jade, what pendant settings are you considering? How would you have set the circled pearl? The more I see the photo, the more I'm inclined to put it in a ring so that I can see it since it is so colorful. But it's too small to be set in a ring though. Not sure how to proceed. I'm sure I'm putting the drop one in a pendant.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
thecat|1410182345|3746932 said:
Icy Jade, what pendant settings are you considering? How would you have set the circled pearl? The more I see the photo, the more I'm inclined to put it in a ring so that I can see it since it is so colorful. But it's too small to be set in a ring though. Not sure how to proceed. I'm sure I'm putting the drop one in a pendant.

I would have done something like this:

image_2305.jpg

Think too small for a standalone pendant and I like this design. That's why I got two loose pearls (apart from the Russian doll one). Plus the drop is a tad small for me too... Considering that I have earrings bigger than these loose pearls...

Edit: Just so it's clearer, I mean for the circled pearl to replace the akoya and the bigger drop to replace the carved Tahitian. But I will ask for a mock up picture before going ahead in case the size/proportions/colours don't match up.

Hhpmom's SoC setting is nice too but you need 3 pearls. I'll try to find the pic for you.

Edit: Here you go:

image_2306.jpg

For this setting the 3 pearls need to go together tho. Else will probably look rather "off".

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
icy jade - I'm a real sucker when it comes to dangling pearls and I love the three-pearl setting! HHPmom - What a pearl collection you have!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover, I love your remodeled pendant. The color of the SOC is gorgeous! What size is the pearl?

Kay

Ideal_Rock

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Icy Jade, thanks for sharing your inspiration photos. :))

NacreLover, Kay, I saw and love the diamond circled setting that they both suggested. But I was thinking my pearl's step is quite high, first 1/3 of pearl, so it's not a suitable candidate for the diamond circled one. Should I get a pearl with step in middle of pearl, that diamond circled setting is the perfect choice!

mapo

Shiny_Rock
for those considering the dew diamond pendant, I measured the opening on the bale. It is about one mm wide. I've attached pics of the opening as well as the box chain I use.

img_5888.jpg
img_5889.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
thecat|1410225011|3747388 said:

NacreLover, Kay, I saw and love the diamond circled setting that they both suggested. But I was thinking my pearl's step is quite high, first 1/3 of pearl, so it's not a suitable candidate for the diamond circled one. Should I get a pearl with step in middle of pearl, that diamond circled setting is the perfect choice!

Thecat: Pls PM me. I've a proposition for you.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
mapo|1410226274|3747407 said:
for those considering the dew diamond pendant, I measured the opening on the bale. It is about one mm wide. I've attached pics of the opening as well as the box chain I use.

img_5888.jpg
img_5889.jpg

Thank you, Mapo. This is so helpful :appl:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
icy_jade|1410227502|3747424 said:
thecat|1410225011|3747388 said:

Thecat: Pls PM me. I've a proposition for you.

Done!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another remodel I just got back from Pearl Paradise. They soaked off the copper tahitian I had installed and I selected this reverse cherry Tahitian while at the ruckus. it is AAA 9-10mm and has a high luster. The traveling teal ovetone is beautiful combined with the cherry. The openings on these pendant slides are substantial for any chain in your collection.
The settings are all from Gem East Corporation of Seattle Wa and are available from any jeweler who caries their line. The white gold pendant will be my next remodel. I am considering a round white south sea pearl for this next remodel.

cherryset.jpg

_22164.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NacreLover, I love your teal cherry overtones. :love: You have so many lovely pendants :appl: Thanks for sharing with us the bail opening sizes. They are very helpful. I would love an infinity like setting of yours (left most one in your 2nd photo) and music note pendant (right most one in your 2nd photo) as I progress in my collection. For now, I'm thinking simple solitaire after going round and round the block. I must have some classic basic pendants before going the fancy route. Finally figured that out after so many days.

So I am considering the following. Can anyone with the following pendants please share if the bale size is large enough to accommodate a medium thickness chain?
http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-327-classic-pendant-7460-mm.aspx

http://www.stuller.com/products/23641/?groupId=15338

http://www.stuller.com/products/22739/186659/?groupId=14346

http://www.stuller.com/products/23533/1529223/?groupId=15245

Unrelated question: why are some pendants only suitable for South sea pearls?
http://www.stuller.com/products/22744/?groupId=14352

Thanks in advance. :))

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Duplicate post

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
They are larger mounts built for larger pearls. The regular are built for smaller akoya or freshwaters. You need real measurements to make sure the first on your list will be in proportion for your pearl.
I have several stuller pearl mounts. If you're in the USA go to your local bench jeweler and ask to look in their stuller finished jewelry book and findings catalog. They are featured in life size photos for your convenience. You can hold your pearl up an see if it will work.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover - Very nice pendants! Neck shots please?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NacreLover|1410367454|3748439 said:
They are larger mounts built for larger pearls. The regular are built for smaller akoya or freshwaters. You need real measurements to make sure the first on your list will be in proportion for your pearl.
I have several stuller pearl mounts. If you're in the USA go to your local bench jeweler and ask to look in their stuller finished jewelry book and findings catalog. They are featured in life size photos for your convenience. You can hold your pearl up an see if it will work.

Thanks for the explanation and recommendation. :))

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Pkinnew, I don't usually model pearls.

I ordered the AAA white south sea pearl for this setting yesterday from Pearl Paradise. They are holding it until I get this mount to them, so I will be mailing it out today. Two part epoxy takes a little while to loosen.

3-3.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Sea of Cortez

_22203.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Cherry Tahititan

_22204.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Vintage pin converted to slide. Pinback converted into hidden bail.

7-7.jpg

_22205.jpg

_22207.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
NacreLover|1410446480|3749007 said:
Pkinnew, I don't usually model pearls.

I ordered the AAA white south sea pearl for this setting yesterday from Pearl Paradise. They are holding it until I get this mount to them, so I will be mailing it out today. Two part epoxy takes a little while to loosen.

Wow, all your pearls and settings are fabulous! I especially like this, such a sleek look. :love: I always thought of pearls as feminine and soft. It never occurred to me that pearls can look so modern and chic. I think it's the pearl/pendant color and snake/omega chain. Love love love it! :appl:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I bought these dark golden South Sea pearls from PP, then had them set with the blossom setting. PP has the ability to have this setting modified and created by their custom jewelry division into a matching pearl pendant setting. My girlfriend 4ranchgirl has had one made.
I decided to use the 18K diamond flame pendant mounting used.

golden_south_sea_pearls_-_copy.jpg

_22215.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Not as dark as the earrings but has a beautiful pink overtone 12-13mm AAA. A ruckus selection.

goldensoutseapendantred.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
nacrelover -- I love each piece and especially love seeing them on you!!! The GSS are absolutely beautiful! Thank you for posting these wonderful pictures.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1410446577|3749010 said:
Sea of Cortez

I always love your pearls, such a curated collection of quality. That chain is over-the-top, I'm sure it's weight makes for a great price point, do you know would it still be available today? I would love know manufacturer/vendor.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Would anyone know when I post a quote reply the original photo does not show again. I think I need help with my settings, but am not able to find where to change this setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results