shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you feel 3 prong martini studs are not secure?

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
Martini vs 4 prong/basket

I've read that some people worry about the 3 prong not being secure enough although its the more preferred look for round stud earrings?

What's everyones take on this?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're talking about earrings, not rings that get worn on fingers and banged around a lot. PS'ers have a lot of opinions on 3-prong vs. 4-prong vs. eight-prong vs. bezeled earring settings, not to mention screw back vs.butterfly/push back vs. la pousette backings, but I've never heard of anyone expressing concerns about the security of a 3-prong setting for earrings.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't agree that it's the preferred look for rounds studs. It's a look that some like and others don't. There's also issue of comfort but not safety.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I love love my 3 prong martini. They are comfortable I don't even know they are in my ears

_22115.jpg

Pandabear90

Rough_Rock
heididdl|1410224285|3747377 said:
I love love my 3 prong martini. They are comfortable I don't even know they are in my ears

well sheesh, just blinded my eyes as I scrolled down to your comment LOL

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no black and white 'secure' and 'not secure'.

More prongs is more safe.
Fewer prongs is less safe.

Again, earring don't get the abuse a ring gets.
If you just want the safest setting, get more prongs or full bezel setting.
If you want 100% safety don't wear them and keep them in a safe deposit box.

Everyone picks their own personal compromise of safety vs. enjoyment when it comes to design and usage.
What's safe enough for one person is not safe enough for another.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're on a laptop or desk top computer and look to your right, you should see a links to "related topics" that will lead you to some of the many discussions we've had about the various types of stud earrings. As you'll see, the discussions have to do with aesthetics and comfort, but rarely if ever the security of the setting. Whatever setting you end up with, diamond studs are a wonderful, classic look. Good luck with your selection!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have worn my three prong martini (2 pairs) for 15 years, 24/7, and never had a problem.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about them being the preferred look, because that's so very subjective, but my 3.2 TCW studs have been set in three prong martinis and I haven't had a problem in the several years I've been wearing them every single day.

That being said, if this were for a ring that had the potential to get knocked around I would definitely consider other options, but there's just not enough craziness going on with my ears to worry that kind of security.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't necessarily think it is the preferred look in general, because I prefer an even number of prongs on everything! But I don't think I can recall anyone here ever having a problem with three prong studs. Studs are not like a ring that can get knocked against something and loosen a prong.

glitterkitteh

Rough_Rock
I've 3-prong studs regularly for the last 8 years and I've never had a problem. However, they also don't receive the wear and tear a ring would.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, 3 prongs scare me. The more prongs, the better IMO--I don't want to lose a diamond ever!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love my 3 prong martini studs and the floating look that they have. I don't feel like they are unsecure in any way, but my studs are 1tcw. If I had been considering (or, my ears could pull off wearing) larger studs, then I might have considered a setting with more prongs.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I felt my martinis were plenty secure. I got rid of them because they didn't play nice with my work desk phone so I never wore them. I would get a prong stuck in the little "hole" on the earpiece and I did think I was going to dislodge the stone that way. I got a pair of bezeled studs and those are significantly easier for me.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am often asked this question by my clients. If I know them well enough to tease a little I will reply with something along the lines of., "If you are knocking your ears around enough to dislodge a diamond from a nice three prong martini mounting, perhaps you are also having other more serious issues..."

Wink

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Wink|1410355213|3748315 said:
I am often asked this question by my clients. If I know them well enough to tease a little I will reply with something along the lines of., "If you are knocking your ears around enough to dislodge a diamond from a nice three prong martini mounting, perhaps you are also having other more serious issues..."

Wink

:lol: This is exactly what I thought when I read the title of the thread!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd prefer martini settings b/c they are much easier to clean. My wife and DD's are mounted in 4 prong basket settings and they are PITB to clean, and yes, martini settings are secure.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I have 3ct martini studs and I feel they are very secure. I do want to get them reset though but only because they kind of droop and I feel there might be better options to prevent that. I would make sure the martini studs have very little space between the bottom of the diamond and the bottom of the basket to prevent droop.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wink

I'm more thinking of 3 prong settings made of nickel white gold. Nickel white gold is very brittle and I certainly wouldn't wear earrings like that to shower or swim in a chlorinated pool. One prong becomes weak and breaks off, and you're in trouble. Platinum is a different story of course.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1410459024|3749154 said:

Wink

I'm more thinking of 3 prong settings made of nickel white gold. Nickel white gold is very brittle and I certainly wouldn't wear earrings like that to shower or swim in a chlorinated pool. One prong becomes weak and breaks off, and you're in trouble. Platinum is a different story of course.

why would you use nickel white gold.?????

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1410475515|3749307 said:
Laila619|1410459024|3749154 said:

Wink

why would you use nickel white gold.?????

Because that's what a lot of jewelers sell and most people don't know any better. Nickel white gold is very, very common in the U.S.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Stuller Settings offer 3 prong martini findings in Palladium and Platinum if you don't want "nickel white gold". Stuller also offers their 14K X1 white gold as an option.

Roseco only has platinum as an alternative to white gold.

Our store has offered martini studs for at least the 12 years I've worked here with no problems reported to us.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results