shape
carat
color
clarity

How to set a rose cut diamond

cushlaw

Rough_Rock
What's the best way of setting a rose cut diamond? I don't like the idea of using a foil backing and it doesn't look like companies like Bayco or Kwiat use any backing.
But without one, will you see the finger through the stone?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Ooowww, I love rose cuts. Please come back with pictures when you are done with the project. What size is the stone?

Edit: have you seen the post below? The OP mentions peaking under the ring to see if the underside is flat or faceted, so I'm assuming these are not foil backed and I can't see her finger.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/20th-anniversary-rose-cut-lots-of-pics.180671/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/20th-anniversary-rose-cut-lots-of-pics.180671/page-2[/URL]

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Without foil or a highly polished backing, yes, a rose cut will basically act as a magnifying glass for the back of your finger. It will still have that lovely chunky fire one sees in old cuts, so not from all angles ... but it will happen more often than not.

Could I ask why you'd prefer to avoid foil? I avoid it myself, just because I *know* I'll mess up and leave it on when I wash my hands or something, but it does give a gorgeous look (I just saw this *gorgeous* one down on 47th ... foiled back that I assume had tarnished, but the effect was really interesting and unusual!). Perhaps instead of foil, since the technology has evolved ... highly polished platinum, with maybe an interior bezel to raise it above the metal and let you clean it properly? Or maybe have a pattern engraved/sawn out? I've been wondering how that would look for ages ....

img_4863.jpg

img_4864.jpg

img_4865.jpg

img_4866.jpg

JulieKae

Rough_Rock
Circe, did you get that ring in the photos? So pretty with the flower detail and how low it sits.
I'd like to shop with you as it seems we have similar tastes.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JulieKae said:
Circe, did you get that ring in the photos? So pretty with the flower detail and how low it sits.
I'd like to shop with you as it seems we have similar tastes.

Thanks, Julie, and back at'cha - if we're ever in the same place at the same time we should make a date!

And ... yes, I did, because I have the self control of a stoat. You're actually to blame - it had stuck in my head, but I wasn't wondering about it obsessively - is it still there?!? - until I read this post! But now it's home on my hot little hand, and I can post lots of pics. ;-)

imageuploadedbytapatalk1404925676.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I am envious! I have been eyeing rose cuts too. Try to Google images of Jennifer Anniston's huge oval rose cut. I was told she did not use foil and it looks amazing! I like the effect of foil because it gives some definition to the facets, but I also love all things "gray".

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
totally on the rose cut mental train-
what size do the rose cuts need to be in a band style ring to really "see" they are rose cuts?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
artdecolover71|1405424780|3713561 said:
totally on the rose cut mental train-
what size do the rose cuts need to be in a band style ring to really "see" they are rose cuts?

I think even at a small size it is quite noticeable...I don't know what size the rose cuts are in this Tiffany band but I tried it on once and I could definitely tell the larger stones were rose cuts and not RB. It is 0.74tcw between the rose and RB on size 6 though, so I imagine the rose cuts are not that large in this band carat wise.
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP06135#p+1-n+1000-c+-s+-r+-t+-ni+1-x+-pu+-f+true+1-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+
screen_shot_2014-07-24_at_11.png

Of course from afar you may not notice but when I looked at arms length as the wearer, I could definitely tell there was a little something different.
screen_shot_2014-07-24_at_11_0.png

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
how would you set a rose cut center stone in a halo that doesn't have a bezel around it?
does anyone have pictures of the back/bottom of the ring that i can see?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results