shape
carat
color
clarity

KUDOS to the NFL for firing player for domestic violence

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The aftermath to the violence is particularly heart-wrenching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbwTMJroTbI

But shame on NFL though for taking this long, and only acting HOURS AFTER TMZ posted the video.

Baltimore Ravens' Ray Rice has been terminated for slugging his fiance unconscious.
It happened in an elevator back in March and was caught on a security camera.

From TMZ (Who posted the entire DISGUSTING and heart-wrenching 3:30 video of the violence and the aftermath.)
Ray Rice has been cut by the Baltimore Ravens and indefinitely suspended by the NFL ... and it's all over the video.

The team just announced it has terminated Rice's contract this afternoon ... hours after TMZ Sports posted the footage of the Pro Bowl running back attacking Janay Palmer in an elevator back in February.

Rice was in the middle of a 5-year $50 million contract he signed with the Ravens back in 2012.

The NFL had previously suspended Rice 2 games for the incident -- but NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell later admitted he screwed up in punishing Rice too lightly ... and instituted harsher punishments -- a 6 game suspension for first time NFL domestic violence offenders.

But ironically Goodell violated his own new policy with an indefinite suspension ... which makes the NFL sound like an organization out of control and ducking for cover.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
It's about time. A lot of people have been very upset about this since it happened. It's a shame that the NFL only suspended Rice for two games initially when they suspended/fined many other players much more harshly for far less. (To me, substance abuse of marijuana isn't a big deal, unlike spousal abuse.)

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/7/...4-robert-mathis-daryl-washington-lane-johnson

Seeing how they're only doing this to cover their own ass as this point, though, I'm not sure I'd give them any kudos.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The NFL sorta sucks. IMO they only did this under intense scrutiny. Even if they really didn't see the footage inside the elevator of him punching his wife out, they still saw evidence of him dragging her passed out body out of an elevator. This should've been their response from the first day.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think they are owed a Kudos. A kudos would been due if they had done it at the outset. Why did they need a VIDEO going viral and public disfavor to do the right thing?

As for their new policy: 6 months for first incident? How about losing a whole season for the first incident. Then a lifetime ban for the second?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:clap:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How bout massive boycott of all NFL games and all NFL advertisers?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1410214166|3747251 said:

I do that already.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1410214522|3747260 said:

I do that already.

I've never watched a football game in my life.
I doubt I've ever bought anything that would be advertised on an NFL game, unless tofu, thrift stores, and hybrid cars appeal to that demographic.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never watch NFL football. I hate Michael Vick and the NFL keeps him employed.

I read that the NFL is a nonprofit, does anyone know if that is true? The NFL is desperate to get women fans, I hope they don't get them! Yesterday I saw one woman at Costco wearing an NFL team jersey and one woman at Safeway in one too.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I don't do it for any moral reasons, but I don't watch and/or support NFL football. In fact, every year when football season rolls around again, I throw up a little bit in my mouth :lol: I've never liked it and don't really understand the obsession with any of it. As far as the domestic violence incident is concerned, the video was horrifying (I saw it for the first time today).

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1410214873|3747261 said:

I do that already.

I doubt I've ever bought anything that would be advertised on an NFL game, unless tofu, thrift stores, and hybrid cars appeal to that demographic.

We watch, but I can't even tell you who advertises since I'm very good at mentally blocking out ads. I didn't even notice there were ads on top of the PS pages until someone pointed it out a few months later. We know plenty of tofu eating, thrift store shopping, hybrid car driving people who love football, though, so don't be so quick to judge people of "that demographic".

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1410216084|3747274 said:
I never watch NFL football. I hate Michael Vick and the NFL keeps him employed.

I read that the NFL is a nonprofit, does anyone know if that is true? The NFL is desperate to get women fans, I hope they don't get them! Yesterday I saw one woman at Costco wearing an NFL team jersey and one woman at Safeway in one too.

Completely agree. And it's a violent sport so not so surprised it attracts some violent people who play.

azstonie, I just looked up your question and shockingly it seems as if they are!
:evil:

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/09/03/should-pro-sport-leagues-get-tax-breaks/end-the-nfl-tax-breaks

http://newday.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/30/the-nfl-is-really-considered-a-non-profit/

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1410214873|3747261 said:

I do that already.

Have you ever bought diamonds?

They have been advertised, on the super bowl game, no less and also on other games.

Just sayin'...

Wink

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most disgusting criminal that has ever played in the NFL without doing life in prison for murder-except, perhaps, OJ Simpson- is Michael Vick. I would never watch a football game in which either The Philadelphia Eagles or The New York Jets participated. If other people had any principles at all, no one would and he wouldn't have a penny to his name.

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1410221083|3747330 said:
The NFL is desperate to get women fans, I hope they don't get them!

My daughter is an avid football fan. I think women should show the NFL that if Michael Vick plays, we don't watch. Ever. Under any circumstances. And we turn off televisions in our houses when The Eagles and the Jets play. And throw out any "treats" or beer anyone else might have brought home to imbibe/eat during a game. Ever hear of, "Lysistrata"?

AGBF

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1410217999|3747301 said:

I don't do it for any moral reasons, but I don't watch and/or support NFL football. In fact, every year when football season rolls around again, I throw up a little bit in my mouth :lol: I've never liked it and don't really understand the obsession with any of it. As far as the domestic violence incident is concerned, the video was horrifying (I saw it for the first time today).

Momhappy, I could've written this! I totally hate football. My stomach does a flip whenever I hear that stupid NFL theme song.
And why Vick is still playing confounds me. I thought football fans were dog lovers, and he would never get signed again. How wrong I was.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1410223376|3747361 said:
The most disgusting criminal that has ever played in the NFL without doing life in prison for murder-except, perhaps, OJ Simpson- is Michael Vick. I would never watch a football game in which either The Philadelphia Eagles or The New York Jets participated. If other people had any principles at all, no one would and he wouldn't have a penny to his name.

AGBF

We don't watch those games, but on occasion we scroll by, I always hope outloud that someone would break Michael Vick's neck or spine. Too bad it hasn't happened yet.

eta: my husband is always horrified when I make those statements outloud and in front of company, but I can't help it. I love animals and he deserved to suffer more than all of those dogs combined.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1410223961|3747373 said:
AGBF|1410223376|3747361 said:

AGBF

We don't watch those games, but on occasion we scroll by, I always hope outloud that someone would break Michael Vick's neck or spine. Too bad it hasn't happened yet.

eta: my husband is always horrified when I make those statements outloud and in front of company, but I can't help it. I love animals and he deserved to suffer more than all of those dogs combined.

I want to break his neck personally. Only what I say is even more graphic.

Deb

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so naive...and uninformed...I am not a sports person (football or otherwise) so I didn't realize Vick was playing again.

I just remember when he was supposedly going around and speaking out against animal abuse and I thought to myself - really - really do people believe someone who could have that type of EVIL inside ever change? That's not something you unlearn.

So horrifying.

And yes, even though I may not have the guts to say what kittie says outloud...if he suffered the same fate as any of those dogs...I would not be sad for him.

What's scary is the REST of the people he used to do this FOR and WITH who are under the radar. How scary.

Thank goodness my DH is not a Jets fan. He is an Eagles fan and I have to admit no amount of me asking him to not watch because of Vick would have done any good...maybe I can convince him to not watch any Jets games though.

How is it that this man is still PLAYING?

ETA: to answer your original question Kenny, doesn't sound like they did it because it was the right thing but only because they HAD to. However, I still prefer that over nothing happening. But doesn't say great things about the NFL.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Btw, he's not horrified at what I say, but how I say it. Plus he always tells me if does me no good if I end up in jail. I tell him, "that's why I want his neck broken on the field. It's a career accident. Everybody wins"

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1410227286|3747423 said:
Btw, he's not horrified at what I say, but how I say it. Plus he always tells me if does me no good if I end up in jail. I tell him, "that's why I want his neck broken on the field. It's a career accident. Everybody wins"

I never threaten to harm Michael Vick. And talking about what I would LIKE to do to someone doesn't harm him. My wishes are not that powerful. Whether I wish to do something myself (but never plan to do it); wish him to have a career accident; or wish him to be hit by an asteroid is immaterial. My wishes do not come true. Only my actions count.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a horrible message that is sent to kids, and to adults in general, that it does NOT matter what you do. If you have a talent for a SPORT. A *sport*, mind you, which means you have the incredible super power of what...running fast? Throwing a ball? Talent for a sport=forgiveness of all sins, full stop. That's deranged, but that's where our country's priorities and morals are. Disgusting.

I'd like to take him and all the horrendous people that show up on my FB newsfeed for all their atrocious crimes against animals and have a gay ole time in a soundproofed room.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He should have been gone before the video came out. Not really sure why his now wife stayed with him either.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1410269269|3747660 said:
He should have been gone before the video came out. Not really sure why his now wife stayed with him either.

My guess is that she went ahead and married him for the money. Which now he won't be making. So it didn't really work out for either of them.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
After Vick, I'm not surprised by this latest. Who cares about the rights and safety of animals or women when there's money to be made, right? After all, animals aren't people and apparently women are no longer people either (shout out to our friends at the Supreme Court), so it's to be expected.

I was never into football, but DH used to be. After Vick, he boycotted the NFL and our family has boycotted Nike as well, because they continued endorsing Vick and renewed his contract. We stayed far away from all of the superbowl madness (and we live in Seattle, for pete's sake!)

Add Nike and the NFL to an ever growing list of companies I won't support - but I do love seeing the true colors of the people behind these large corporations, because I believe that an effective way to create change is to vote with our dollars. Unlike Hobby Lobby, which was a divisive decision that would cost the company some business but also gain them the business of a specific segment of the population, what on earth does the NFL expect will happen in the court of public opinion here?

He clocked his girlfriend in the face, to the point of her losing consciousness, in a public place because he felt he could do so with relative impunity (and he was correct), then casually dragged her out of the elevator showing zero concern for her well being (showing us his cold demeanor and indicating that this type of thing is likely a regular occurrence for him). Obviously there are no consumers out there that will flock to the NFL BECAUSE of their leniency with this player (unlike Hobby Lobby), so are they banking that the American public is just so stupid that they won't give a crap, and will continue spending and supporting and worshiping at the feet of all things NFL? And is the American public that passive, that blind, that unengaged???

And not to overlook the obvious, but this women then went on to MARRY this guy? WTF? :-o

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
There are many reasons why battered women stay with an abusive partner.

For those of you on twitter check out the hashtags #whyistayed and #whyileft. Really enlightening conversation going on.

I find it interesting that Michael Vick still being in the league being a breaking point for some people. At the time of his arrest there was MULTIPLE convicted murderers playing in the league. What Vick did was wrong, but there are many more in the league who did things that are much worse. The NFL has a long history of sweeping crimes of their players under the rug. They have a long history of sweeping many things under the rug (i.e. concussions) that they are now being brought to task for. Michael Vick just happened to be high profile, as is this case. And this case is only high profile because it has been contrasted against other recent suspensions for recreational drug use. At least once a year one of these domestic abuse cases pops up in the league.

Its a long standing problem, that wont go away anytime soon.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really sure why his now wife stayed with him either.

... perhaps his $50,000,000.00 contract was a factor.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1410287004|3747823 said:
Not really sure why his now wife stayed with him either.

... perhaps his $50,000,000.00 contract was a factor.

I imagine he has her convinced that no one else will ever want her. Typical tactic. All we really know is that he knocked her out in public. Who knows what has happened behind closed doors.

He could have given her a sexually transmitted disease and used it against her. He could've told her no one would believe her or care that she was being beaten, or he could be the type to apologize profusely and buy her things to make up for the violence after the fact.

There are a million reasons to go, and there are a million reasons to stay. Blackprophet, thanks for linking those hashtags. Interesting words on both.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1410285374|3747801 said:
I find it interesting that Michael Vick still being in the league being a breaking point for some people. At the time of his arrest there was MULTIPLE convicted murderers playing in the league. What Vick did was wrong, but there are many more in the league who did things that are much worse.

That is your opinion. You are entitled to it. I am entitled to a visceral rage at Michael Vick that I do not feel toward any other NFL player.

AGBF
:read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results