shape
carat
color
clarity

1935 Carl Gustav Hallberg platinum ring with blue diamond?

New-to-diamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm new to this forum and found it by accident today, but it seemed to be the proper place to ask for opinions.

I found this ring at a large fleamarket on wednesday. The seller thought it was white gold, but I noticed that it had the swedish platinum purity mark stamped on the inside, as well as other marks that I couldn't identify before I got home. I didn't think much about the stone at first, because someone had tried polishing the ring with silver polish, so it was all dirty on the backside and I honestly didn't think it was anything other than some semi-precious rock. It wasn't till I got home and got it washed, that I noticed it was a very pretty stone.

So I decided to test the stone with my Diamond Tester, and it tested positive for diamond. I had never before heard about blue diamonds, so I got pretty excited, shocked, stunned, and a whole lot of other feelings when I started to google to find out what I had found, as well as healthy skepticism.

The ring was made in Sweden in 1935, from the date marks. It was made by Carl Gustav Hallberg (or rather his descendants, since he had already passed away in 1888). The purity mark means that the ring is at least 95% platinum. The diamond is around 6.1-6.2mm wide (I compared it to a 0.80 ct diamond my mother had on her ring, and this one was larger, so I guess around 0.9-1.0 ct, perhaps?

As is probably obvious, I am a novice when it comes to diamonds, and maybe I am all excited about nothing. I am planning on visiting one of the larger auction houses in my countrys capital, to get a more qualified opinion and after that make a decision about what to do next.

What do you people think?

dia_01.jpg

dia_02.jpg

dia_03.jpg

dia_04.jpg

New-to-diamonds

Rough_Rock
Re: 1935 Carl Gustav Hallberg platinum ring with blue diamon

The last two pictures

dia_05.jpg

dia_06.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's very pretty. I'd be very suprised if it is a diamond but you never know! :read: I'd definitely send it to an expert to find out.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock

It's a very pretty ring, congrats on the find! It looks in your pictures as though you can see through the stone at certain angles. In one image I think the setting is visible, in another the background. If that is the case in person as well, then it probably isn't a diamond, diamonds don't display a 'window'.

Gem testers vary so I couldn't guess at what it is, but you definitely have a lovely platinum setting and a very nice piece overall!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It looks like it could be a blue zircon to me - still a lovely stone, and with a strong resemblance to diamond, except doubly refractive (read: shinier), which I think I'm spotting in some of the angled photos. Whatever it is, I hope you come back to share the good news ... either way, it sounds like you got a great deal, and a very pretty ring to boot!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results