shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh my aching feet! Comfy shoes?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My new school year began and I'm on my feet all day again. I think I sat down for no more than 20 minutes total during a 10 hour day yesterday. We're not allowed to wear flip flops at my new school, and I don't wear heels (well, nothing higher than 1" usually). For some reason, none of my summer weather shoes are comfy to wear all day. Time to go shopping! I live in Merrell's in the colder months but I'm looking for warmer weather shoes for the time being. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Zoe, no firsthand knowledge but rather a recommendation from some people who need good support and comfort due to their profession. Dansko clogs.

I actually just ordered them for weight bearing rehab which will begin soon. I got the Dansko Pro XP as they looked to be the best for comfort. They are not the most attractive shoes but hey comfort is most important IMO and you aren't going to wear them for an evening out anyway.

http://www.zappos.com/dansko-pro-xp-professional-ebony-pull-up

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have wide feet so I always have issues finding comfy shoes.

I really like naturalizer. They have good casual shoes and nice dressier shoes too. This is their website: http://www.naturalizer.com/ though you can buy them on zappos too. :)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently bought these 2 pairs of shoes from Zappos -

Clark's Noreen Will - http://www.zappos.com/clarks-noreen-will - I bought the black fabric which it looks like now is all that is available at Zappos, but at the time of my purchase this shoe also came in brown fabric, black suede, and brown suede. (I really love how sleek these shoes turned out to be, and they look good with skirts as well as capris/pants.)

Patagonia Better Clog Ankle - http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-better-clog-ankle-deep-espresso - I bought this Deep Espresso shade because it was on sale at $100.00 - but I do love the rich brown - and color-wise, it works with my mostly black wardrobe.

I wear them sans socks - it took a couple of exchanges to get exactly the right fit with both pair - strangely I had to go up a half-size and to a Wide width for the Clark's, and I went up a full size for the Patagonia ankle boots - plus I switched out the Clark's insoles for
Spenco Cross-Trainer insoles I already had on hand - but now they both fit like a dream and neither required any break-in. I like both pair so much I plan buy another set to keep in reserve, as it is quite difficult for me to find stylish yet sturdy and comfortable shoes.

OP - this is a great thread topic, and I really look forward to seeing others' recommendations!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
For the past ten years (before we moved to FL this year), I lived in my fuzzy Merrill clogs all winter (much to my husband's chagrin!) ::)

I tried the Dansko clogs about 10 years ago as summer shoes (like the ones Missy posted but with an open back). The store I bought them in only had them in a half size down from my normal size but I still bought them, thinking they would stretch enough since they're leather. Unfortunately they didn't stretch much if at all (even using all the shoe stretching tricks) and they were always a bit tight at the top since I have high arches. I still use them to walk my dog in the rain (the height means I won't get water in my shoes) but can't wear them every day. They still look brand new though.

My go to summer shoes are Crocs... I bought six pairs of these (again, not hub's favs ;)) ) before they were discontinued but I think they have a newer similar style for sale now?: http://www.crocs.com/crocs-malindi/10127,default,pd.html
My tootsies are on the wide side and I find them very cumfy. They run true to size, as they stretch out as you wear them. Also neat, I wash them with soap and water and let them drip dry nightly. If they ever get too big, I put them in the sun for a few hours and they shrink up again.

Honestly though, no shoes are completely cumfy for me... I have to change the shoes I wear daily. I switch between the Crocks, a pair on Danskin sldes and Nike sneakers.

My sis-in-law got a pair of the Danskin slides after I did and she loves them - they're cool and light and cheap: http://www.walmart.com/ip/DANSKIN-NOW-WOMENS-ATHLETIC-CLOG-SLIP-ON-SHOE/31004840

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, not sure if you get them in the US but I have recommended them before- Hotter shoes are fab, lovely leathers and colours, very spongy and bouncy soles too. Some of the designs are quite pretty!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like those Clarks!

I have to buy inserts to put into shoes now, after finding out I have plantar fasciitis and crazy insane heel spurs. I'd gotten a couple pairs of expensive and comfy shoes for work when I first started two years ago (Clark's and..I forget the other pair, got them at Macy's), but they ended up not having enough arch support for me, although they were so soft and comfortable otherwise. Luckily, our school district allows flip flops, sandals, tennies, whatever. I got a pair of Orthaheel/Vionic flip flops and wear them 24/7 now, but will have to get inserts for my other shoes and hope they work well enough that I don't have to buy new shoes.

Are your achy feet b/c of a problem like fallen arches etc, or a general ache from being on your feet all day?

I hope you can find something that works for you!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you wear sandals that aren't flip flops? Teva makes some women's sandals with a very comfortable contoured footbed. They no longer make the style that saw me through four weeks of lots of walking and touristy stuff in Rome and Isreal, but these are similar:

2721667-p-large_search.jpg

I'd also second Missy's suggestion of Dansko Professionals as a great all-purpose shoe that will get you through all but the hottest and coldest weather. They're one of the few shoes I was able to wear when my feet were in extreme pain. Don't try to wear them if you're late for classes though - they're definitely not made for running!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These jogging shoes look comfy.

screen_shot_2014-09-06_at_1.png

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple pairs of Dansko shoes and have done well with them. One thing I would say though, if you get them home and wear them and they irritate your feet at all, take them to a cobbler and have them stretched. My first pair were great and the second pair had one shoe that gave me problems. I was almost going to give up on them and a friend suggested I take them to a shoe repair place. The one in my town is run by an old world cobbler and he told me that these shoes are made by a mold, and when the mold get to worn they have to replace it. The new mold will always be smaller, hence the slightly tighter fit. I had them stretched and haven't had a problem since.

I have also had good luck with Rieker shoes. I have a pair of boots, some casual flats and some kind of dressier sneakers. All really comfy.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have found Clarks to be the most comfortable. I run around a lot at work and have to wear closed toe shoes. That's all I wear. If there is an outlet close to you the prices are much cheaper. Good luck!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Softspots!!! I bought a pair of their boots on Zulily last winter because a. they were cute and b. they were 50% off. I had no idea about their amazing memory foam type padding in the sole. Some of their styles are a kind grandma-ish, but others are cute and look super comfy. Also, look for them on amazon, I have seen them at significantly reduced prices.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have RA in my feet. And finding shoes is next to impossible. Here are the best I've found:
http://www.zappos.com/ecco-sport-yucatan-sandal-black-mole-black~2?ef_id=U3WE4wAAAFEdLMS8:20140907061847:s AMAZINGLY comfortable. Hideous. But can't beat them for comfort.

And any of these, which are cute and comfortable:
http://www.zappos.com/romika-nancy-03-basalt-metallic
http://www.zappos.com/romika-gina-04-lila
http://www.zappos.com/romika-jamaika-02-anthtazit

And anything by Finn Comfort. Expensive. But the inside soles are replaceable and they are an investment:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/finn-comfort

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Aerosoles are my go to brand at the moment. I also love Clark's, Ecco and Rockport. But honestly when I look at my shoes that are totally worn out, they are my Aerosoles. Without fail.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Missy, I have a pair of imitation Dansko clogs that I wear in the colder months, and I'll keep those in mind for later in the year. I agree, comfort trumps style, any day!

Thanks for the recommendation, Aria! I have heard good things about Naturalizer.

Marymm, I really like the leather Patagonia clogs! They look really comfortable. I'm not sure I could wear them without socks though. I need shoes to breathe somewhat if I skip wearing socks, and I'm afraid those won't. I'll definitely keep them in mind for later though.

Alexah, I like the idea of the Dansko slides. Yeah, they're not the most stylish shoe out there, but they look comfy, which is right up my alley. Crocs, huh? I've never tried them because all I keep thinking of is the clog style, and I just can't do it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Zoe, I will let you know what I think of the Dansko Pro XP as they are supposedly lighter and more supportive than the Dansko Professional. And it has a removable foot bed so you can add even more support if necessary. It might be a couple of months till I get to use them though but I will try to remember and update this thread. Good luck in your search.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Snowdrop, I've never heard of Hotter shoes but some of them are really cute. Thanks for the link!

April, one of my coworkers swears by her Toms, so I'm going to check them out when I go shopping this afternoon.

Packrat, I have orthodics but I don't use them in all my shoes, and it's impossible to use them in sandals. I think my feet hurt so much right now simply because I'm on my feet all day, and I don't have as much "downtime" as I have in the past. I hate not being able to wear flip flops, and some styles are even dressy enough to be appropriate, but they're a big no no at my new school. Sandals and slides are okay though, and I've even seen a few teachers wearing Birkenstocks.

VR, yes, I can wear sandals that aren't flip flops. I like the ones you posted! I think I've seen them at the store I'm going to later on, so I'll check them out.

Kenny, love those! :bigsmile:

Thanks, Luv2sparkle! I haven't had any issues with my clogs but I'll keep a cobbler in mind if needed. Good suggestion.

Glam, thanks! I've had a pair of Rockports a while ago and one of the shoes kept making a squishing sound when I walked. It was really noticeable, so I got rid of them. I may look at them and Eccos again when I'm at the outlets.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Tacori! Yes, we have a Clark's outlet near me. I'll check it out soon.

Ponder, the store I'm going to today has Softspots, and I had bought but a pair of sandals but then returned them because I thought they looked too grandma-ish after all. I'll check them out again though and see if I like the other styles.

Gypsy, I agree, those Eccos aren't the most stylish, but I'm glad they're comfy. :bigsmile: I like the other shoes you linked. I like Finn (never heard of the brand), but I can't justify that price. Thanks though!

Misskittycat, Aerosoles are great. I haven't worn them in years though. I'll have to look for them on my search.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I laughed when I read your post about the Ecco's! I bought a pair of those when we took a trip to D.C. I had blisters on the bottom of my feet from another pair of 'comfort' sandals and bought a pair of those in Georgetown. I wore them for the rest of the trip and never even felt the blisters on my feet. That was pretty amazing for the amount of walking we did. They have been in my closet ever since. Once in a while I take them out when we are going somewhere with a lot of walking, but when I put them on I just think they are so very clunky and ugly, I don't wear them! I did see a lot of women wearing them on that trip. I am sure I will wear them again because you are so right, they are the most comfortable shoes ever made. You would think they could make them just a little cuter....

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank for all the suggestions, I just bought two pairs of Clarks!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yah, I forgot to note, I prefer shoes that have a full or squared toe box, and I don't care for shoes with Velcro (which surprising to me is used in many, many sandals and shoes these days).

And, just to clarify, both the Clark's and the Patagonia ankle boots I posted above can be worn with socks - for me, though, I was seeking work-suitable shoes/boots I could wear comfortably without socks and chose the fit that accommodated my preference.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Practice yoga

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Clarks and Orthoheel, too. Munro and Naya are my other go to brands for comfort. I use zappos as it is easy to search by style and size, and the reviews are pretty honest.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mum swears by Geox shoes.

I prefer Clarks or Hush Puppies myself, however, Crocs is what I wear everyday.

Love Crocs, so comfy! I even wear them when I go camping in winter, just need to wear some SealSkinz waterproof socks to avoid having cold and damp feet.

DK :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1410103748|3746457 said:
Gypsy, I laughed when I read your post about the Ecco's! I bought a pair of those when we took a trip to D.C. I had blisters on the bottom of my feet from another pair of 'comfort' sandals and bought a pair of those in Georgetown. I wore them for the rest of the trip and never even felt the blisters on my feet. That was pretty amazing for the amount of walking we did. They have been in my closet ever since. Once in a while I take them out when we are going somewhere with a lot of walking, but when I put them on I just think they are so very clunky and ugly, I don't wear them! I did see a lot of women wearing them on that trip. I am sure I will wear them again because you are so right, they are the most comfortable shoes ever made. You would think they could make them just a little cuter....

I agree. It would be fantastic if they could make them just SLIGHTLY less hideous. They truly are a revelation when you wear them though. It's like... OMG, I had no idea shoes could be this comfortable.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe, the Romikas are really lovely and a great price point. As for the Finn, I just broke down and bought a pair, but I won't lie. It was a hard one to swallow.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ended up buying Toms (in the white birds of paradise floral pattern) and Teva Kayenta Studded sandals. Here are the Tevas. I have lots of other shoes on my list from this thread, so thanks all, for the recommendations.

tevas.png

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1410127910|3746638 said:
Zoe, the Romikas are really lovely and a great price point. As for the Finn, I just broke down and bought a pair, but I won't lie. It was a hard one to swallow.

Maybe I'll buy a pair in the future. I do really like them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results