shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking For Engagment Diamond Ring in NYC

joebrooklyn

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I just had a bad experience with a clarity enhanced diamond. Luckily I got my money back and now, before I go out shopping again, I was advised to post what I am looking for here.

Ideally, I would like a round solitaire. 2ct, between F-G color and SI1 or SI2 clarity. And NOT CLARITY ENHANCED. GIA CERT.
My budget is about 12,500.00.

Even though the above is my ideal specs, I'm willing to go down to maybe 1.6-1.8ct if the diamond is cut well and it looks big.

As I have said before I just had a bad experience with a clarity enhanced diamond. I didn't know what it was and wasn't told. I am now very suspicious and distrusting and my Fiance is more so. I am an accountant and have had many opportunities to take advantage of desperate and ignorant clients and I never do. Being that I believe in Karma I thought that there were enough honest businessmen in the diamond district that would not try to take advantage of us; but I was wrong. I noticed later, the more aggressive and obnoxious and informed you are the more respect they treat you with. I'm loath to go back to that hot bed of snakes again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
joebrooklyn|1410026130|3746035 said:
Hello,

I just had a bad experience with a clarity enhanced diamond. Luckily I got my money back and now, before I go out shopping again, I was advised to post what I am looking for here.

Ideally, I would like a round solitaire. 2ct, between F-G color and SI1 or SI2 clarity. And NOT CLARITY ENHANCED. GIA CERT.

Even though the above is my ideal specs, I'm willing to go down to maybe 1.6-1.8ct if the diamond is cut well and it looks big.

As I have said before I just had a bad experience with a clarity enhanced diamond. I didn't know what it was and wasn't told. I am now very suspicious and distrusting and my Fiance is more so. I am an accountant and have had many opportunities to take advantage of desperate and ignorant clients and I never do. Being that I believe in Karma I thought that there were enough honest businessmen in the diamond district that would not try to take advantage of us; but I was wrong. I noticed later, the more aggressive and obnoxious and informed you are the more respect they treat you with. I'm loath to go back to that hot bed of snakes again.

Joe

would you consider an AGS cert? They're even more stringent than GIA on cut. If you pick out an AGS 0, you can be sure it's well cut. GIA excellent is a wider range, not all are that great.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Is $12,500 for the stone and setting, or just the stone. What setting do you want?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Joe

Hi Joe :wavey:

Does it have to be a brick & mortar store in NYC or are you open to ordering from a PS-trusted vendor online? If your budget is $12,500 for the stone, it's highly unlikely you will be able to find a 2 ct that ticks all the boxes without compromising a bit on your specs -- and since cut is so important and you're already open to eyeclean SI's, it's probably gonna have to be color and/or size. An H color (or even an I) will still be white, esp if it has fluorescence, and you will be able to get a lot more bang for the buck! :naughty: ;))

Here is a really nice AGS Ideal stone from WF. (1.6 ct, 7.64 x 7.69 mm) $11,697 wire price
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3063716.htm?source=pricescope

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Nice find, msop! :appl:

Joe, that's likely to be the best deal you're going to get. And with twinning wisps, it may well be eye-clean. I'd recommend calling WF and putting it on hold and having them look it over for you. They'll be honest with you about it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's about as good as you can do with your budget, I would go for it!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Plus, you'll save sales tax! :appl: :appl: :appl:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forget that last one, notice it is only a sample image they are showing and not the actual diamond.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Pyramid|1410040762|3746142 said:
Forget that last one, notice it is only a sample image they are showing and not the actual diamond.

Unfortunately, that's the case with a majority of B2c diamonds, even though they list them as 'in-house'. :nono:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think some fancy shapes are thick at the ends, but probably not very thick, maybe slightly thick to thick, right enough.
I was just looking among fancy shapes as I know he could get more size for his money but better to see them and maybe she doesn't like fancy shapes at all anyway.

It seemed a nice B2C diamond the other day that we found in a round, 2.07 H vs2 with good arrows, showing hearts
well spaced but not all formed the same, ideal cut proportions,1.4 HCA, medium fluorescence for $20,000. I have been looking
through B2C tonight and notice you are correct, lots of 5.6 etc on HCA. Wonder why that one seemed so good but
the rest are not so. Maybe just lucky.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Pyramid|1410041076|3746145 said:
I think some fancy shapes are thick at the ends, but probably not very thick, maybe slightly thick to thick, right enough.
I was just looking among fancy shapes as I know he could get more size for his money but better to see them and maybe she doesn't like fancy shapes at all anyway.

It seemed a nice B2C diamond the other day that we found in a round, 2.07 H vs2 with good arrows, showing hearts
well spaced but not all formed the same, ideal cut proportions,1.4 HCA, medium fluorescence for $20,000. I have been looking
through B2C tonight and notice you are correct, lots of 5.6 etc on HCA. Wonder why that one seemed so good but
the rest are not so. Maybe just lucky.

You're right, probably just lucky. And how did it look under an ASET or IS? I've got an older AGS 0 that scores under 2, but it's not that great at all. It might be an AGS 2 under the currecnt grading system.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been looking around vendor sits and apparently medium to very thick is normal for girdles on fancy cuts.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
The Rounds are more expensive than the fancy cuts. You will probably have to go down in size for a round but try to get one with a nice spread. You should reach out to the Pricescope Vendors here to see if they can help you get a GIA Cert Diamond.
What about Yekutiel at ID Jewelry, Jon at Good old Gold or Mark at Engagement rings Direct? Have you spoken to them yet?
All three of these guys are wonderful to deal with and very honest. All located in NYC so you can go see the diamond in person before you purchase it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IDJ is not a bad idea, if you tell them you are a Pricescope member and you want something well cut, big and clean they might be able to find you something, they have found members some amazing stones in the past;

http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php

I also would recommend Good Old Gold, you will pay more for a smaller stone but you will know that you are getting decent quality;

http://www.goodoldgold.com/

joebrooklyn

Rough_Rock
Andelain|1410028750|3746047 said:
Hello,

Joe

would you consider an AGS cert? They're even more stringent than GIA on cut. If you pick out an AGS 0, you can be sure it's well cut. GIA excellent is a wider range, not all are that great.

Yes I would.

joebrooklyn

Rough_Rock
Andelain|1410028875|3746049 said:
Is $12,500 for the stone and setting, or just the stone. What setting do you want?

It's just for the stone but I dont expect to pay much more than 1k for the ring.

joebrooklyn

Rough_Rock
msop04|1410038321|3746118 said:

Joe

Hi Joe :wavey:

Does it have to be a brick & mortar store in NYC or are you open to ordering from a PS-trusted vendor online? If your budget is $12,500 for the stone, it's highly unlikely you will be able to find a 2 ct that ticks all the boxes without compromising a bit on your specs -- and since cut is so important and you're already open to eyeclean SI's, it's probably gonna have to be color and/or size. An H color (or even an I) will still be white, esp if it has fluorescence, and you will be able to get a lot more bang for the buck! :naughty: ;))

Here is a really nice AGS Ideal stone from WF. (1.6 ct, 7.64 x 7.69 mm) $11,697 wire price
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3063716.htm?source=pricescope

It doesn't have to be a brick and mortar store but I have to be able to see it.

joebrooklyn

Rough_Rock
Madison2|1410043947|3746162 said:
The Rounds are more expensive than the fancy cuts. You will probably have to go down in size for a round but try to get one with a nice spread. You should reach out to the Pricescope Vendors here to see if they can help you get a GIA Cert Diamond.
What about Yekutiel at ID Jewelry, Jon at Good old Gold or Mark at Engagement rings Direct? Have you spoken to them yet?
All three of these guys are wonderful to deal with and very honest. All located in NYC so you can go see the diamond in person before you purchase it.

I dont have a problem going down in size, as I said I'm willing to do 1.6ct to 1.8ct but it depends on how it looks on my Fiance's finger.

nukezero

Rough_Rock
$12,500 for a 2carat G SI1 with GIA is going to be like $20 grand. Due to the G color and carat. The only possible way is to go EGL and then you'll get close.

But seems like EGL is a poor certification company. So, best to go GIA or AGSL.

joebrooklyn

Rough_Rock
nukezero|1410059515|3746260 said:
$12,500 for a 2carat G SI1 with GIA is going to be like $20 grand. Due to the G color and carat. The only possible way is to go EGL and then you'll get close.

But seems like EGL is a poor certification company. So, best to go GIA or AGSL.

So what about a 1.6 ct to 1.8 ct? Still impossible?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
joebrooklyn|1410057779|3746249 said:
Pyramid|1410040206|3746138 said:

I like it.

Joe, this is a sample image so we have no idea what that stone looks like. You just have to eliminate stones that don't have actual photos.

I suggest that you make an appointment with either Good Old Gold or ID Jewelry, tell them your budget, and ask them to find the biggest and best cut stones they can for $12,500. Then they will have a few for you to look at when you come.

You do need to be certain about what shape stone she wants. Don't veer off into fancy shapes if she wants a round. One reason rounds cost more is that they face up larger than a lot of other stones. They also are about the most brilliant when well cut.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
joebrooklyn|1410057544|3746243 said:
Andelain|1410028875|3746049 said:

It's just for the stone but I dont expect to pay much more than 1k for the ring.

In that case, consider buying the WF stone loose, look at it, then send it back to get set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results