shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a setting with a little vintage style?

emilynbee

Rough_Rock
(Re-posting in the correct sub forum...)

Hello!

I just registered with the site because I figured that all of you are the best source of knowledge for finding something high quality and beautiful. I've lurked in the colored stones forums for a while and have been consistently blown away by how helpful this community is.

My boyfriend and I have been talking about engagement, and he wants me to determine what sort of ring I'd like. Well, I fell madly in love with a particular montana sapphire, so now I'm trying to find the perfect setting to display it.

I am a massively indecisive person so I've been overwhelmed, thinking that I must have looked at every setting on the internet and nothing feels quite right. I'm having a lot of difficulty figuring out what feels like "me".

The things I think I know so far:
- The stone is cushion cut, and fairly dark, so I want to let as much light in as possible
- I want the setting to be platinum or palladium (his wedding ring is going to be titanium with an elder burl wood inlay, so a somewhat grayish metal is appealing to me)
- I love delicate fishtail prongs (I think that's the term? Prongs with three beads?)
- I don't want a halo
- I don't want pave
- I like the idea of surprise diamonds, a tiny one on each side of the basket (my apologies if I misuse a term, I'm still learning about jewelry!)
- I really like milgrain
- I've seen and loved engraved bands, but I think they might eventually feel too busy? So maybe a fairly plain band with a milgrain border?
- I love vintage and antique things, so a super-modern aesthetic is probably not quite right. I want it to feel romantic, but no hearts
- I don't want a bulky band on the ring. I'd like for it to feel somewhat delicate, if possible.
- I'd like to be able to wear a straight wedding band with it (meaning that the wedding band doesn't have to curve around the engagement ring)
- I don't think I want side stones, but if I did, I'd probably like them to be pear-shaped. But I'm leaning toward a solitaire.
- Since I have a stone mostly picked out, I'd like to be able to have the setting customized to fit exactly. I'm not sure how to go about this.

I'm a silly, sentimental sort of person, so I don't want to upgrade. I'd like to get it right the first time and that sort of pressure to not make a mistake is making me crazy!

Any help or direction at all would be absolutely appreciated.

Thank you for looking!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
budget.

emilynbee

Rough_Rock
I'd prefer not to spend more than $2000 on the setting, if possible.

I honestly don't know what's reasonable to expect, but hopefully someone will let me know if that's an unrealistic figure :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well you can go custom. But I can also look at some settings for you. What are the dimensions of the center stone.

Your budget is fine. But... there is a designer whose work I think you'll love, but she is expensive. So I'll link you to a few ideas, including her settings.

The Laurel solitaire without pave (plain shank) would be lovely: http://www.erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Laurel-Solitaire.html#.VAqtqWPLMq8

Your budget is a good one for Custom. I'd contact Engagement Rings direct. And ask them for a platinum quote.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big is the cushion in mms? There are heaps of nice genuine Vintage settings and reproductions as well but we need to know the size of your stone if you are not going to get something custom made.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Some idea inspirations ...
fishtailinspired.jpg
fishtailinspired3.jpg
fishtailinspired2.JPG

fishtailinspired4.JPG

If you are just looking for inspirations, suggest you check out Van Craeynest for styles. It will be out of your budget.

Or start over with this set :saint:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Engagement-and-Wedding-Ring-Set-VVS2-Size-5-5-Sizable-/291235072530?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item43cef68a12

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

emilynbee

Rough_Rock
Oh, wow Gypsy. You're right, I do love that laurel solitaire! It's definitely my favorite of the ones you've posted, if it could be made without the pave. Very helpful! :)

And I'll check into engagement rings direct. I've never had anything custom made before, hopefully they won't mind my inexperience.

So, the deal with the budget is that he wants me to have something I'll be head over heels in love with, and is willing to pay more than that. I'm hoping for a $2k cap because I have weird guilt about asking him to spend a lot of money on me. Which is silly, since we both have good jobs (we live in an expensive part of the US, but we're both software engineers and doing quite well, so we are fortunate to have comfortable wiggle room, financially), and post-wedding everything will be combined anyway.

arkieb1: The stone is 7.2 mm by 6.5 mm by 5.4 mm (depth), and cushion cut. I'm not sure how I'd go about looking for a vintage setting that would fit the dimensions and shape of the stone. Most things seem to assume round?

Charmypoo: Ooh, some of those Van Craeynest designs are incredible! I'll definitely look over those for inspiration ;-)

Apacherose: Oh, that's lovely. I'll go check out that thread, thank you! The budget is more flexible than I initially suggested, but I'm hoping to keep the setting cost in that ballpark.

You're all wonderful, and I really appreciate the help.

If I were going to have something custom made, can I describe sort of what I'm looking for, as I did here? Or would it be best to have photos of rings with components that I like? Or is it best to find a setting that is almost exactly perfect, and ask for it to be recreated with some changes? Or is that like copying artwork, and is frowned upon?

emilynbee

Rough_Rock
Also, Gypsy, the second setting from antique engagement rings that you posted is incredible. Absolutely gorgeous!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would start by browsing GordonClark.com, Coastdiamonds.com, antiqueengagementrings.com, and believe it or not, Ebay, as a source for vintage settings as well as modern settings with a vintage flavor. You can get an idea of what you like and what you don't like from those sites alone. Even if you go custom, you can save pictures in an inspiration file to show your jeweler.

Happy hunting!

emilynbee

Rough_Rock
Oh, thank you, Winks_Elf!

I can't believe I hadn't thought of doing that. I just started a pinterest board and I'm pinning every ring that makes me go "Ooh" so that I can pull out some themes and common design elements :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would contact Erika about the Laurel setting. I adore it, and think it would just be perfect for a cushion and would let in a lot of light.

You sound like you live in Nor Cal. If you do, there are many of us on the boards that do was well. Very expensive place to live.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results