shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to start? So many choices!

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, this is a jewelry week for me. I'm a couple of months away from finishing a decade-long project, and I'm planning a ring to commemorate the occasion. I'd like a colored stone; I've purchased a few in the past, but I'm really a newbie when it comes to CS. Budget is about $2500 for the stone (though would be great to come in under, even way under, that!). I'd like a 6.5-8mm round, because most of the settings I'm drawn to require round stones. I do not want a kashmir-ish sapphire because I have other blue sapphires in my collection already, and I'd like this to be a bit different. I also don't want anything yellowish/orange/pink, or yellowish green, which don't work well with my skin tone. Hot pink is OK with my skin tone, but not really my style. So... lighter blues, blue green, reds, purples would all be good. The stone has to be appropriate for a ring, obviously, and I need it to be relatively sturdy, because hard as I try, I'm hard on my stuff. I don't know how I'll set it yet, but I gravitate toward bezels, so I'd like to try get a stone that won't black out in a bezel.

I'm looking at Montana sapphires--love the blue greens--and spinels, though I'm getting that spinels in that size with colors that I like seem to be out of my budget. But I don't know. Can you open my eyes to some options within the above limits? Thanks so much for your help!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Jadeite,
old stock or vintage because of the embargo

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your project coming to an end and deciding to treat yourself with a memorable piece of jewellery!

Montana sapphires - have you had a look through Gemfix? Andrew is a precision cutter and cuts many (but not all) of the stones on his site. We have just evaluated a few for someone else so if you search a few pages you'll probably find the thread.

Mmmm... lavender jade. While this one is large and oval, it's simply set so that, if it appeals, you can wear it while deciding on a setting. Note that the price is in pounds and converts to approx $2,110usd.

Hard wearing and distinctively different!

lavender-jadeite.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want something faceted or cabbed? In actuality, spinel is going to be cheaper than sapphire unless you are fine with heat treatment or colours that are less in demand.

S

SparkliesLuver

Found a couple more for consideration:

http://jefferydavies.com/inventory/product/215-spinel-1-20ct
Love the video. It looks pretty round to me but the listing says oval - you'd have to ask to make sure. Way under budget.

http://www.finewatergems.com/spinel.html
The last one on the page - the 3.08 Burmese spinel. I really like the deep pinkish purple color but I wonder if it'd get too dark in a bezel. You'd have to see it in various lighting situations.

I'm sure others with better opinions and more experience will chime in too. :)

_21980.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1409918099|3745311 said:
http://jefferydavies.com/inventory/product/215-spinel-1-20ct
Love the video. It looks pretty round to me but the listing says oval - you'd have to ask to make sure. Way under budget.

It is a roval, a cross between a round and an oval with a difference of 0.5 mm in its LxW.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, all! I was thinking faceted... I find myself becoming distracted by all the lovely colors and shapes out there.

SparkliesLover--Love the finewater gems spinel. It's a little big, but I suppose I could make that work... :lol: Re the blue-green tourmaline: It's gorgeous, but I'm thinking a little too minty/pastel for me.

Starzin--Thanks for the tip on the montana thread!

I thought I had looked around a lot, but for some reason I missed the spinels on Finewatergems. This is really helpful, thanks!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am drawn to the same colors, mostly in saturated medium to medium dark stones. I tend to stick to sapphires and spinels for durability. I can't imagine spending more than $500 on something that is luxury and worrying about my being so vlsy that I would break it.

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Precision Gem has a really lovely round cut sapphire that's about 7.4 mm that's just within a budget of $2500.
10_blue_sapphire_mambilla_nigeria.jpg
Link: http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/rapidcart/sapphire.html
Also, AJS has several roval cut pink sapphires and rose-colored spinels that might suit your color preferences.
Happy hunting!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw the 3.08ct spinel in person and was not impressed at all. I didn't even take pictures of it (and I take pictures of pretty much everything!) because it was so disappointing. So, having seen it in person, I would say no to that one. It's a dark plum color with a bit of brown to it.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for letting me know, FrekeChild, I'll skip it for sure.

pregcurious, yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking. This ring is something I want to wear a lot and to last. So I want it to be durable.

Vidalia, that sapphire is lovely!

So after spending way too much time in the last couple of days hunting around online, I'm starting with three Montana sapphires from gemfix. Laurie was nice in our email exchange and said I really needed to see them in person. I found myself coming back to the blue-green colors over and over. Though I'm afraid they don't all meet my criteria, as of the three, only one is round! And one is a bit above my budget. But now I'm thinking I'll just figure out the setting after I find THE stone (although this project started with the setting, I've done this before, where a project ends up in a completely different place than it started). They're all really different, so I'm curious to see what (if anything) grabs me. I haven't seen any in real life, so that seemed like a good way to approach it. The sapphires should arrive next week.

I ordered #331, 371, and 399 from http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html......

I see that #371 had been mentioned before, but not purchased, so I'm wondering if that means it's less impressive in person? Anyway, I'd love your thoughts based on these listings. And who knows? One of these might be the one, or I might be back to the drawing board. It's fun, regardless. :D

gf_331_round.jpg

gf_399_cushion.jpg

gf_371_oval.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hey DecoDaze, I can't wait to hear your impression of the stones.

Would you consider 446? It's a green Montana on Gemfix's site. I've been drawn to it and wondering what it looks like in real life. If I am ever in San Diego, want to visit in person.

S

SparkliesLuver

FrekeChild said:
I saw the 3.08ct spinel in person and was not impressed at all. I didn't even take pictures of it (and I take pictures of pretty much everything!) because it was so disappointing. So, having seen it in person, I would say no to that one. It's a dark plum color with a bit of brown to it.

My apologies for recommending. Thanks for chiming in, FrekeChild!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts about the stones (and see pictures!) once they arrive. :)

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Sparklies! Can't wait to share. :D

And pregcurious, I would definitely consider 446--if it wasn't $2000 over my budget! :lol: Looks amazing.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
So after spending way too much time in the last couple of days hunting around online, I'm starting with three Montana sapphires from gemfix. Laurie was nice in our email exchange and said I really needed to see them in person. I found myself coming back to the blue-green colors over and over. Though I'm afraid they don't all meet my criteria, as of the three, only one is round! And one is a bit above my budget. But now I'm thinking I'll just figure out the setting after I find THE stone (although this project started with the setting, I've done this before, where a project ends up in a completely different place than it started). They're all really different, so I'm curious to see what (if anything) grabs me. I haven't seen any in real life, so that seemed like a good way to approach it. The sapphires should arrive next week.

I think you've made excellent choices! The first thing being - as you noted - that you have a choice of shape, cut and colour in order to refine what you really like in this gem. I think that's really important with Montanas because they appear to be so difficult to capture with a camera. Andrew seems to be cutting all the time and a few have been added since burntskye''s thread started only a week or two ago.

Can't wait for your impressions - and photos - of them!

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
I've fawned over #371 on many occasions. Love that color, and the supernova cut is a wonderful oval cut IMO.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The three you listed are so different from each other that to compare them to one another would be unfair (pear, apple and orange).

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Starzin and ephsea! I'm really excited to get them!

Chrono, I deliberately chose really different gems, all of which spoke to me online, to get a sense of what I like in real life. So it's not really about comparing them. I'm sure we've all had the experience of falling in love with something online and then realizing that that shape or color or what have you just doesn't look good on our finger. At least I managed to narrow it down to a blue-green color! If one of these really grabs me, perhaps I'll order a comparison stone. Or maybe not, if I love it. I asked my local jeweler to source some for me, but she didn't come up with much, so I thought gemfix would be the better way to go. But maybe I'm just a sucker for all their pretty pictures. :bigsmile:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Just throwing this into the mix - already set but with double halo of blue diamonds then white diamonds. While it's above your budget for the stone alone, it may fit for overall cost if the setting appeals.

Note the video link on the page.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/200228...ed-blue-green-montana?ref=shop_home_active_16

ETA: note the blue diamonds are most likely irradiated but could also be synthetic so do ask if it interests you.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Well, this is disappointing. I was all ready to come on and announce that the sapphires had arrived, but when I opened the package... it was the wrong order. I received a garnet meant for somebody else. ;( Apparently my sapphires are on their way to Tennessee, so who knows how long it's going to be until I get them??? :(sad

Starzin, somebody snatched that ring up not long after you posted it!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Those lurkers!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I had a terrible experience with GemFix when they sold something out from under me that they had promised to me. They told me that they would be relisting it on Monday for me to buy, and relisted it Friday instead.

I highly doubt I'd do business with them again, based on the above situation and because I find them a bit overpriced compared to other places.

I was amused when the stone was returned back to them, and they emailed to let me know it was still available. That stone has been sold three times that I know of, and returned every single time.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Bummer!!! :nono:
It will probably be another week then - how disappointing for you. Still a little more anticipation never hurt anyone.

Re JuliaB ring - ooh! Not to worry, she has also done a Montana cushion you can see in her sold items. I pointed Sparklies at it in her thread last night but I don't think it's of interest in that particular style - so if it appeals to you, the point is that JuliaB has a source for blue diamonds and can make something similar. However most custom jewellers could probably get them if you wanted to pursue it and get a couple of quotes when you have your centre stone.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Update: Andrew called and apologized profusely. He said this was the first time this had happened. They're paying for both of us to overnight our packages back to gemfix, and then they will overnight them to us. And give us a discount on a purchase. Certainly nice enough, though I'd rather not make an extra trip to FedEx! We'll see how it goes...

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
However... he has done what he could to correct the situation in the fastest way he could and with a sweetener - not all bad from that point of view. Just a little longer :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least the customer service response is quick and positive.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
So I'm hoping the sapphires will arrive on Tuesday, if they are able to overnight them on Monday. And yes, Chrono, the customer service was very responsive--and like I said, incredibly apologetic. I called, they apologized and said they'd call me back with a plan, and then Andrew called not ten minutes later. It's maybe just as well, since DH has been out of town and is returning tonight. This way I'll be able to show him the stones repeatedly over 7 days instead of just 3. He'll be thrilled. :lol:

The only real problem I'm having is that I keep thinking about the setting possibilities for different shapes. I need some focus! I don't buy new pieces all that often so when I do, I have a hard time narrowing down my wish list. :halo:

FrekeChild, out of curiosity, which stone was it that you've seen sold repeatedly? Were they apologetic when they sold the stone against their promise to you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results