shape
carat
color
clarity

Man made fancy intense pink.. 0.7 carat EGL Canada

gjs

Rough_Rock
Hi I have sourced a man made fancy intense pink diamond.

It is 0.7 carat. and VS2 cut and polish both Very Good.

My concern is this is an EGL canada cert, i have heard that if it is not GIA then it will be priced higher but not actually worth more than a GIA so can affect value.

What advice do you have for buying a diamond like this and it being EGL canada certified?

Am i wrong or right?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For mined white diamonds, GIA and AGS are generally considered the most strict labs. The concern comes up where a diamond from a less strict lab is reported and priced as a "G" color (for example), but GIA would have graded the diamond as an "H" or "I". That "G" could be seen as being priced high compared to an equally colored diamond with a GIA report listing "H" or "I". For the most part, the market has corrected this by pricing a non-GIA/AGS "G" lower than a GIA/AGS "G".

The situation is a little different for lab-grown diamonds since AGS does not issue reports for them and GIA does not issue a specific color (for whites) or clarity. The remaining major labs are EGL and IGI. We've sent diamonds of all colors to all four labs and they all basically come out the same (color and clarity are subjective, so there will always be a little bit of variation). My opinion is that EGL and IGI are more strict when grading lab diamonds than they are with mined diamonds. Regardless, a VS2 in a lab diamond is still eye-clean from any of those four labs. FWIW, EGL does not use the words "Excellent" or "Ideal" with polish and symmetry for lab diamonds, so "Very Good" is their highest rating.

Fancy colored diamonds are a whole other issue too. GIA appears to grade based on the darkest color in the diamond, since mined fancy colors are exponentially more expensive the darker they are graded. EGL grades based on the average face-up color.

For pink specifically, focus more on the diamond's actual color rather than the name on the report. They usually match up, but make sure you like its hue and saturation and see if there are any orange, purple, red or brown secondary colors (not necessarily good or bad, but aren't always written out). Also keep in mind that pure pink is a difficult color to achieve, especially larger than 1/2ct, so there aren't a lot of diamonds to choose from in your criteria. It isn't the same as shopping for a 0.7ct G VS2, where there are several hundred to pick from.

Ultimately what is most important is if you like the diamond's actual appearance, not the specs printed on a piece of paper that you probably won't look at again, after the diamond is received.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results