shape
carat
color
clarity

Harem Ring

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom picked this rose gold harem ring for me at an antique store. It was sold as 12k (tests very strong for 10k and positive but not as strong for 14k). They said they didn't send it out so don't know what the stones are. They thought the small stones MIGHT be spinels. It wasn't overly expensive and it gets a ton of complements when I wear it. It's a fun ring to wear.

harempurple.jpg

haremside.jpg

She thought it might be amethyst but then bright light, you see strong flashes of blue.

haremblue.jpg

I'm beginning to wonder if its a coated topaz (like a mystic)? I'd like to know because my understanding is that if the color is due to a coating, it needs to be cleaned/handled differently. Any ideas?

I know that harem rings aren't necessarily vintage but the closest one I found to this design was one sold on Ruby Lane which was listed as vintage (but it has rubies/opals and sold for way more). http://image0-rubylane.s3.amazonaws.com/shops/701081/14Kx20OPALx20RUBYx205x20BANDx20RING.3L.jpg?58

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In wearing it at my neighbor's, she commented that the stones look more pink than purple (and in her light, it did)

harempink.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately the only person who can tell you what those stone are will be a gemologist/jeweler. You may be able to take it to a Pawn Shop and find out.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe post this in the Colored Stones section and see if the CS folks can offer any help or suggestions. In the end though, the only way to be 100% is - as moneymeister said - have a gemologist or lab look at it for you. It's a very pretty & unique ring!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks~ I don't need to know for certain what the stones are, since I don't plan to sell, but more curious as to thoughts as to what they MIGHT be.

We got it at one of those small town family shops that buys/sells coins, antiques and jewelry. I thought it was costume until the store owner tested the gold before giving a price.

It needed a good cleaning which was when it came to life. One of my jewelers fixed a couple of prongs but he had no idea. I love visiting vintage jewelry stores and it gets lots of comments when I have it on - but no one seems to have any idea what it might be either once I show them how the stone changes colors in the light.

I did post a link to this thread on another thread in the CS forum....but I need to stay out of the CS forum because going there just has me planning what I want to won next and I need to be on good behavior for awhile :angel:

Maybe someday I will run into someone who might have some ideas and will just continue to enjoy it for whatever it is

ReneB

Rough_Rock
I love that ring!

Have you considered the stones may be Alexandrite (in the chrysoberyl family) or color change garnets/sapphires/Fluorite?? There are synthetics of these stones so you would need a gemologist to examine them to find out if they are genuine.

It's lovely, though. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results