carat
color
clarity

My new to me Aquamarine?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image_2259.jpg

At least that is what it was sold to me as. I haven't been able to wear it much since my teen daughter keep finding outfits that "match it perfectly." Anyhow, feel free to tell me if it isn't an aquamarine.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely stone and ring, I'm not surprised your daughter likes wearing it.

Looks more like apatite to me. I've never seen an aqua with that saturation as they are generally a lighter blue.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea what it is but it doesn't scream "aqua" to me.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I think most regulars here would hesitate to call that an aquamarine. You can see what the usual range of aquas look like here http://www.gemfix.com/aquamarine.html

Did you buy it locally or online?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a feeling that it was misrepresented when I bought it! Hence the title with the question mark. I bought it at a pawn shop in Utah so I didn't invest too much. It's 18k and the diamonds are pretty, so I don't mind that I'm not wearing an aquamarine. The odd thing is that 2 other jewelers seemed to agree that it is an aquamarine and said that it is a very pretty color :confused: :confused: :confused:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Think no Aquq.

A Paraiba or Apatite or imitation for a Paraiba....

18k gold and diamonds..if there is a small chance it is a paraiba you should check RI - maybe you have a jeweller around.

Imitation... look at ring from the side - is the color uniform ? Could be a dublet ( right word - in german Dublette) Beryl and Beryl with a color layer between. Maybe that is an explanation for "aquamarine".

If it is a Paraiba don't give it your daughter!! :D

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
nala|1409717987|3743847 said:
I had a feeling that it was misrepresented when I bought it! Hence the title with the question mark. I bought it at a pawn shop in Utah so I didn't invest too much.

Yeah, pawn shops often don't know what they're talking about, anything blue is either a topaz or an aqua. It might be a paraiba tourmaline and worth WAY more than you paid for it, so having someone knowledgeable check it out may be worthwhile. You may be taking advantage of the poor pawn shop owner and should probably feel very guilty. :boohoo: for the pawn shop guy.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG OMG OMG I sincerely hope for your sake it's a Paraiba Tourmaline coz that would be like totes amaze :naughty:

Either way it's very beautiful. :love:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
nala|1409717987|3743847 said:
I had a feeling that it was misrepresented when I bought it! Hence the title with the question mark. I bought it at a pawn shop in Utah so I didn't invest too much. It's 18k and the diamonds are pretty, so I don't mind that I'm not wearing an aquamarine. The odd thing is that 2 other jewelers seemed to agree that it is an aquamarine and said that it is a very pretty color :confused: :confused: :confused:

Okay... these are the game changers.

Run, do not walk, to a reputable jeweller and ask if they can identify what it is - possibly apatite or tourmaline.

If it's apatite it's extremely soft and needs gentle care if it's not to look "chewed" within months if not weeks.

If tourmaline, send it to AGL for a gem brief - it just may be a paraiba in which case you may, as Michael says, have a VERY valuable gem on your hands (pun intended). Does it glow in low light, i.e. under the table?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so I've been scrutinizing it and although I don't know much about gems, I think it has a huge window ;( ;( ;(
so I doubt I have a very valuable gem here. There are a lot of inclusions as well, but they don't bother me because IT DOES SEEM TO GLOW in dim lighting. So I'm still happy to enjoy it for what it is.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - a good advice - r u n !!!

A Paraiba would be worth a LOT of money.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
nala|1409721129|3743871 said:
OK, so I've been scrutinizing it and although I don't know much about gems, I think it has a huge window ;( ;( ;(
so I doubt I have a very valuable gem here. There are a lot of inclusions as well, but they don't bother me because IT DOES SEEM TO GLOW in dim lighting. So I'm still happy to enjoy it for what it is.

I'm not sure you've got the message yet ;)) IF - big IF - it is a paraiba, the window and inclusions will be secondary. Some pictures from Paraiba Dealers may help.

ETA: At the very LEAST you need to find a gemologist who can tell you whether it is tourmaline. That is the first step.

15_000usd.jpg

45_000usd.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
... and this is an apatite that sold for $15 - no zeros on the end of that number. Also - they rarely put $15 gems in 18k and diamonds ;))

And even if you don't want to know... now we all NEED to know!!!!! :lol: :lol:

apatite-1.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I hope so much for you it is Paraiba!!!!

And if not - try to find a new gem - a lot of vendor here will offer a nice one - 18 k gold and diamond combined with a durable stone!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: How thrilling! Can't wait to see what the stone really is.............. :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like my Paraiba
Included and windowed but expensive nontheless :twisted:

As your stone seems to glow from the photo and in real life it might very well be a Paraiba.

_21934.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom|1409731967|3743916 said:
Looks like my Paraiba

As your stone seems to glow from the photo and in real life it might very well be a Paraiba.

I still believe there is a tiny little neon bulb in the stone or setting! :think:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, am curious about the gem type. If it is indeed a cuprian or paraiba, the inclusions and window will not detract much from its value. Maybe it's time to get on the refractometer bandwagon? :Up_to_something:

S

SparkliesLuver

Marlow said:
Acinom|1409731967|3743916 said:
Looks like my Paraiba

I still believe there is a tiny little neon bulb in the stone or setting! :think:

haha Marlow, I completely agree! :clap:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1409548553|3742764 said:
image_2259.jpg

At least that is what it was sold to me as. I haven't been able to wear it much since my teen daughter keep finding outfits that "match it perfectly." Anyhow, feel free to tell me if it isn't an aquamarine.

Aquas are typically more greyish than your stone. Not sure how accurate the photo is for color, but it doesn't look like an aqua to me at all.

It could be a cuprian tourmaline. Whatever it is, enjoy it. :))

Be careful wearing it as the sides and corners don't look protected, and tourmaline or aqua, chips rather easily.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. Before we all get too excited, here is another picture which I think doesn't look anything like a paraiba
image_2282.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks less glowy in your second pic indeed.
Still does not look like an aqua to my eye though...

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The inclusions are interesting....

They look like growth tubes ( from 10 o' clock to 4).

Occur in tourmaline and apatite...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still doubt that it is aquamarine from the latest picture.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is killing me - PLEASE go & get it tested ASAP then post the results! This is potentially the sort of find you dream of stumbling upon but rarely do... :naughty:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well *this* is exciting!! Its beautiful no matter what the stone is and that setting is so cool (although I agree those corners could be at risk of being bumped... be cautious wearing it!)

I hope you can get it appraised and come back and share with us . Wouldn't it be amazing if it was a paraiba and you got the ring for a song??? Fingers crossed!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... the mystery deepens. I was going to ask if you could take a few more pictures for us. Could you take a couple on a slight angle please - on your hand and off for comparison?

_21967.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: I took it to two jewelers and they both ruled out aquamarine. One of them didn't have time to explore it at length and suggested that I bring it back to his gemologist. The other jeweler said it could be beryl, paraiba tourmaline, or apatite but that since he is no longer a gemstone enthusiast, he does not have the time to determine what it is exactly. However, he doesn't think that it screams high quality if it is indeed a paraiba. He referred me to his gemologist but she wasn't there when I called. I will check back tomorrow. Also, I will post more pictures of different angles.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image_2283.jpg

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Does it appear a different colour from the side view of the stone or front on ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results