shape
carat
color
clarity

Aquamarine ring help

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
My daughters birthstone is aquamarine and I've been looking for a RHR. I've been loving cushions lately and curious if anyone has recommendations. I'm hoping to find something under $250 and I don't mind if it's ss. Any recommendations and pictures welcome. :)

I went to a local jeweler yesterday after work and kind of got the feeling they didn't want to help. :( so I thought I'd come here since everyone is very helpful and knowledgable. :).

TIA

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a quick search of the usual PS vendors and could not find loose Aquamarine gemstones within your budget.

If you like cabochons, you could check janishjewels on etsy - she has several Aqua cab rings within budget - https://www.etsy.com/shop/JanishJew...r=date_desc&view_type=gallery&ref=shop_search

If you are willing to consider pre-owned/pre-loved, there's a lovely 5-stone ring in 14kt rose gold currently listed on both DiamondBistro and LoupeTroop - it is $120 over-budget but maybe you have some wiggle room? - here's the DB listing: http://diamondbistro.com/category/2...ed-5-stone-bezel-ring,-14k-rose-gold-sz5.html

eta: you may want to browse MultiColour.com's website - they seem to have quite a number of loose Aquamarines within your budget - here's one they call an oval but it really looks more like a cushion - http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/single/aquamarine/aq10485ai/&1244716636 - and here's an oval that looks to be quite pretty in color and cut (though oval): http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/single/aquamarine/aq10491ap/&1244716636

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
I totally forgot to check those two places. Thank you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy from a reputable dealer, as much aqua these days is irradiated and tends to fade in color after a while.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
T L said:
Buy from a reputable dealer, as much aqua these days is irradiated and tends to fade in color after a while.
Are aqua cabs also commonly irradiated, too?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1409476778|3742324 said:
T L said:

I don't know.

I would avoid mall jewelers, television networks and most Thai ebay dealers for aquas. I would probably buy an aqua from a trusted lapidary that knows his/her source pretty well. I would also avoid any typical mass produced piece.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
What ring size are you and do you like cabs (cabochons)?

I've loved that little carved aqua on Janish Jewels forever but then I'm a sucker for carved cabs. It's a look you either love or don't but it's very affordable and no one else will have one like it. If however, you have your heart set on a sparkly, then let us keep looking.

Re the Multicolour 1) big window 2) too pale

The LoupeTroup one looks to be a good buy if it appeals and you can perhaps negotiate a payment plan with the owner?

screen_shot_2014-09-01_at_12.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL said:
T L said:

I don't know.

I would avoid mall jewelers, television networks and most Thai ebay dealers for aquas. I would probably buy an aqua from a trusted lapidary that knows his/her source pretty well. I would also avoid any typical mass produced piece.

And "older" pieces of jewels - they often used synthetic spinel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1409498862|3742440 said:
TL said:
T L said:

I don't know.

And "older" pieces of jewels - they often used synthetic spinel.

True. My MIL has an "aqua" ring, but that thing is not an aqua at all to my eye. I would bet my left arm its a synthetic spinel. It's an older piece too, and a very large gem. The color, and the way the light plays in it, screams synth spinel. I didn't tell her. It's her birthstone.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much! That rings is pretty, but not me. I have my heart at in a cushion cut aquamarine and I am not sure if I want a solitaire or three stone, etc. The ones I've seen are pretty but haven't tied me in.

I'm new at this and I appreciate everyone's help. At this price range am I going to have to go another route like LC aquamarine?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
That's fine - if those are not to your taste there are more stones out there. One secret it to try and find a stone which is a calibrated size, meaning you will then be able to find a ready-made sterling silver setting for it which will keep the cost of that part of it down.

How much time do you have - i.e. when is your daughter's birthday?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry my last comment made no sense because I confused you with someone else looking for a birthstone for her daughter.

If I've now got it straight, You're looking for a ring for yourself but with an aquamarine because it's your daughter birthstone - is that right?

I have actually found a cushion with a not-too-bad cut, in fact I found an oval as well but won't post them until I know you're around. Lurkers are known to snatch stones we point out before the querent can get to it.

The problem is they will take most of your budget, not leaving any funds for the ring. Are you prepared to buy the stone and save for the setting?

Meantime you could look at Africa Gems. They don't appear to have any cushions at the moment but you may find something else you like. They have this sort of "mix 'n match" service with calibrated stones they can supply to fit semi-mounts (empty settings) they have. They also have some ready made rings. There are some silver ones at the bottom of the page.

It is also worth asking Marc if they DO have some inexpensive cushions - they have hundreds of stones and not all of them are on their website.

So... Africa Gems grade the stones to their own scale which looks like this-

The ready made ring mounts are on this page. The price is for the ring in sterling silver, even if the picture is showing gold. I've positioned you on the last page because I sorted it by price.

The gems are here http://myaccount.africagems.com/mod_search/?keywords=aquamarine&x=0&y=0. Play around with the search keywords to cut down the number of pages.

Or... if you liked the very last ring in silver and are happy to take an oval - you are then looking for an oval costing what's left in the budget. But hey! At least this way you get to choose some things :))

Hope that makes sense, if not just ask and someone will be able to help.

aqua-round-grades-africagems.png

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Starzin|1409673288|3743394 said:
Sorry my last comment made no sense because I confused you with someone else looking for a birthstone for her daughter.

If I've now got it straight, You're looking for a ring for yourself but with an aquamarine because it's your daughter birthstone - is that right?

I have actually found a cushion with a not-too-bad cut, in fact I found an oval as well but won't post them until I know you're around. Lurkers are known to snatch stones we point out before the querent can get to it.

The problem is they will take most of your budget, not leaving any funds for the ring. Are you prepared to buy the stone and save for the setting?

Meantime you could look at Africa Gems. They don't appear to have any cushions at the moment but you may find something else you like. They have this sort of "mix 'n match" service with calibrated stones they can supply to fit semi-mounts (empty settings) they have. They also have some ready made rings. There are some silver ones at the bottom of the page.

It is also worth asking Marc if they DO have some inexpensive cushions - they have hundreds of stones and not all of them are on their website.

So... Africa Gems grade the stones to their own scale which looks like this-

The ready made ring mounts are on this page. The price is for the ring in sterling silver, even if the picture is showing gold. I've positioned you on the last page because I sorted it by price.

The gems are here http://myaccount.africagems.com/mod_search/?keywords=aquamarine&x=0&y=0. Play around with the search keywords to cut down the number of pages.

Or... if you liked the very last ring in silver and are happy to take an oval - you are then looking for an oval costing what's left in the budget. But hey! At least this way you get to choose some things :))

Hope that makes sense, if not just ask and someone will be able to help.

Yes a ring for myself. :). I can definitely save for the setting. I was writing a post and lost it so thought I'd make this short so I don't lose it. I've been resting as I broke a toe. :(.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes a ring for myself. :). I can definitely save for the setting. I was writing a post and lost it so thought I'd make this short so I don't lose it. I've been resting as I broke a toe. :(.

Sorry to hear about the broken toe *ouch*

Okay... hoping you're still there. Aquas in your price range are probably all going to be pale - it's the nature of the material you're looking at, particularly with cushions which are harder to find. The deeper the colour, the more expensive it is.

Here's two from Multicolour, both are large and eye clean (which aquas should be in the less expensive material) and the cushion is showing a tilt window but it appears to be a nice cut -
the cushion and the oval.

Here are the others in your budget http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/

ETA: I'll also throw this radiant cut from Dana at Mastercut into the mix - his photos are always awful but looking at the side view shows it's probably a better colour than either of the Multicolour ones. It is also flawed but probably not as bad as it looks in the photos. If you like this, email/ring Dana and put it on hold while you ask him about the the inclusions because they're probably barely visible at 6 inches. http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7495

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results