shape
carat
color
clarity

Most liberal and conservative cities

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good friend of mine moved to Houston in 2010 and loves it. There is a lot to do and the people are friendly. Despite my teasing her that Texas should secede from the US :wink2:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
sending dust! come live by me; I would love it if you lived out here!!! :wavey:

wow, I knew Colorado Springs was Conservative but I didn't realize that much! Same w/VA Beach?!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
It's nice to read here other people's views on Texans - they jibe with my own positive views. I've only been through Dallas on the freeway, but plan to visit friends who live in nearby McKinney.

In case you haven't seen this link yet - it is 27 miles from downtown Houston, straight up I-45 - The Woodlands. Maybe the commute would be too far, but it's a really nice place.

I have a friend who lives there and there is a Trader Joe's we've gone to a lot. (As well as a Vietnamese restaurant we always try to hit!)

http://www.thewoodlands.com/

I haven't been there is years, but I love the Texas Hill Country. Wimberley not too far from San Marcos and Austin. Pretty, hilly, fresh air. Great if you want a vacation away from the big city.

http://visitwimberley.com/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am feeling a LOT better today. I spoke with my best friend, who is also a gypsy when it comes to moving, and got some perspective and some support. As she said, you just have to do it and then walked with me through the decision making factors. She has a really great head on her shoulders, especially about finances, so that was a huge help because she affirmed that it was a good move financially. And then she asid to just.. think of the worst case scenario, emerge yourself in it, and come up with a plan of action. So DH and I did that. And that gave us a lot of comfort.

And it helped that DH and I shared our hopes and fears and go on the same page again about things.

Then, DH and I did some more research into how moving to Houston will improve our finances, and we got some unexpected good news; new information we didn't know before about Student Loan laws.

And as to buying a house and the concerns I had related to that, DH pointed out that being a first time homeowner is stressful. But it's like anything else, the only way you get experience is by doing it. So he just have to do our best job researching and making sure that the house in inspected and in good condition, etc.

And all of that really helped. I really do feel confident that at this time, with the information we have, we are making a good decision. And that's a good place to be.

So I'll go to the in person interviews and I'll see how I feel and if I think things are good fit. And I've decided to just be honest with them about the fact that I have RA and also that I would like to continue working from home 2-3 days a week and see what they say to all of that.

And ask for my current job. Yes, it will be hard to leave. I will give them a chance to match the offer and allow me to move somewhere affordable, probably in Texas given the Student Loan information. Because we can't live here any more and MA and WA will not work for us either (my options if I want to stay in my current job).

I also researched realtors and created a spreadsheet about what we 'have to have', what we do not want, and what would be 'nice to have'. So that's ready to go. We've got a few neighborhoods picked out close to the job that we like and have good school districts. I've looked into Veterinary care, Pet stores, Grocery Shopping, Healthcare, regular shopping, restaurants, all of that. And I've been really happy with the results of that.

We already got preliminary bids on moving costs. And this week we will be looking into narrowing that down to one vendor and reserving a date if I get the offer and accept it. I also have a list of furniture/stuff that is going, and stuff that needs to be sold/thrown out. We've talked about our cars and what we doing there (keeping both and driving both our, 3 cats per car). We have plans for how to move the cats. We'll have to do searches for hotels that we can stay at during the drive out. And we'll probably spend one night in Dallas on the way down, visiting family.

I need to get DH to take pictures of the furniture we are selling to post it on CL.

And DH will be the one flying out to pick and buy the house (I can't do it), so if I get the job we need to buy tickets for that.

Overall... I think that if I get this job, we are prepared mentally to do this move and be successful.

And that's a really nice feeling.
Thanks for letting me verbally vomit. :bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I'm excited for you if this all works out! I'll just throw this out there because you've probably thought about this already, but would you consider renting for a year before buying in TX? You'd get a good feel for an area and what it's like to live in that community without the permanence of buying right away. No matter what you decide, good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Zoe, we did consider it. And it's still on the table to rent for 6 months or so if we can. Our issue is, we'd really rather not move 2 times. We really want the tax breaks home ownership gets us, and honestly one of the main reasons we are moving is to get a house.

So yes, if that appears to be the sane thing to do, we will do it, but our preference is to get a house right a way.

Thank you very much for your support!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy, I'm glad your doing well and were not affected by the Earthquake. I was worried about you! When is your interview in Houston? I like Zoe's idea with renting first to be sure you end up living where you'll be happiest. I also understand not wanting to move twice. I'm sure you will make the decision that works best for you and your husband. Good luck this week with your interview. Dust, Dust and more Dust!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1408983139|3738996 said:
Hi Zoe, we did consider it. And it's still on the table to rent for 6 months or so if we can. Our issue is, we'd really rather not move 2 times. We really want the tax breaks home ownership gets us, and honestly one of the main reasons we are moving is to get a house.

So yes, if that appears to be the sane thing to do, we will do it, but our preference is to get a house right a way.

Thank you very much for your support!

I get that, and I can definitely see not wanting to move twice.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy, I'm very, very late to this thread but sending tons of dust for a great in person interview and a good job offer immediately following!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys! Fingers crossed that I like them and that the place seems like a good fit for the culture I am hoping for.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so I promised an update.
Went to Houston and am back now.

When I flew in, in the terminal is a "Fox News" store. I was like... I've flown into hell. LOL. The heat and humidity bothered me a bit, but not as much as I expected. The company building is... glamorous. That's the only word for it. It was like a Las Vegas hotel. Marble and gorgeous furniture everywhere. A fancy driveway. I've been to Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin several times. But for the first time I really understood the "everything is bigger in Texas" thing. I liked the people I interviewed with. They seemed very smart, professional, and sane. I was told that Texas is fancier than CA, but I guess I wasn't expecting every one to be so dressed up. Everyone was wearing business attire. Not business casual. So I didn't like that. I'm a pretty casual person. But I did just flat out tell the hiring manager I have RA and what that means. I also told her I need to work 2 days a week from home, not while I am training, but later on. And I told her that I just want her to know NOW, so there are no surprises, because this would be a very big commitment for me, moving states and jobs. And I want to make sure that everything is on the table. I struggled with that decision. But ultimately I felt it was the right thing to do. If I don't get the job because of it, I'm okay with that. I'd rather not get an offer, than get an offer and then disclose the information and have them be unhappy with me. I don't need that. My current job is very understanding of my health, and that's not something I take for granted. I need to be sure that my new job will be as well.

So I'm on pins and needles now. Wondering if I am going to get an offer. And I'm trying very hard not to bite my nails! :wavey: :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1409251496|3740883 said:
Okay so I promised an update.
Went to Houston and am back now.

When I flew in, in the terminal is a "Fox News" store. I was like... I've flown into hell. LOL. The heat and humidity bothered me a bit, but not as much as I expected. The company building is... glamorous. That's the only word for it. It was like a Las Vegas hotel. Marble and gorgeous furniture everywhere. A fancy driveway. I've been to Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin several times. But for the first time I really understood the "everything is bigger in Texas" thing. I liked the people I interviewed with. They seemed very smart, professional, and sane. I was told that Texas is fancier than CA, but I guess I wasn't expecting every one to be so dressed up. Everyone was wearing business attire. Not business casual. So I didn't like that. I'm a pretty casual person. But I did just flat out tell the hiring manager I have RA and what that means. I also told her I need to work 2 days a week from home, not while I am training, but later on. And I told her that I just want her to know NOW, so there are no surprises, because this would be a very big commitment for me, moving states and jobs. And I want to make sure that everything is on the table. I struggled with that decision. But ultimately I felt it was the right thing to do. If I don't get the job because of it, I'm okay with that. I'd rather not get an offer, than get an offer and then disclose the information and have them be unhappy with me. I don't need that. My current job is very understanding of my health, and that's not something I take for granted. I need to be sure that my new job will be as well.

So I'm on pins and needles now. Wondering if I am going to get an offer. And I'm trying very hard not to bite my nails! :wavey: :wavey:

Gypsy, you did absolutely the right thing. You're right. You don't need any surprises after you make the move and now you know if they offer you the job they really want you and that it is the right opportunity for you.

Wishing you all the best of everything and sending good thoughts your way.

ETA: Don't bite your nails! Can you chew gum instead? That's what I do when I have nervous energy either that or go for a walk which I cannot do but perhaps you can? Good luck Gypsy!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy, it sounds as though your interview went well. Glad to hear that the ones conducting your interview were smart, professional and sane. You absolutely did the right thing being upfront about your RA. Better to know the reaction right away then taking the chance they react well later on. Did you see employees other than those conducting the interview. If so, how weren't they dressed?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think telling them what you want upfront was the right move. You wouldn't want to get the job and make such a big change only to find out that the lifestyle change is too much.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys made me feel so much better about my decision to disclose my RA. It was a hard one. Thank you missy, Callie and distracts.

I will try very hard not to chew my nails. I just grabbed some gum. I have TMJ though so I can't chew a lot of gum... but them I'm not supposed to chew my nails either so, what the heck!

I believe in the power of PS dust, and your support is much appreciated!

I did see several other people that work there and they were all dressed up as well. So... new wardrobe will be something I have to investigate. I wear the equivalent of Birks and Jeans to work here. And maxi dresses.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm they have San Francisco as the most liberal. I think that was true but has changed a little bit with the tech crowd.

For instance nudity is now banned in the Castro. But on the other hand people walk down the street smoking you know what on a regular basis.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I'm sorry. I forgot to send you more dust earlier. Dust, Dust and more Dust!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Calliecake. On pins and needles over here!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, With it being a holiday weekend I would really be surprised if you hear anything until middle of next week. So many people take vacation days today and/or Tuesday. If they are going to make an offer they also have to get all the proper approvals. Then HR usually drags their feet as well. Try to relax and enjoy the weekend. Lots more dust Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. I needed to hear that. You are right. I'm going away this weekend anyway. I'll just shift my focus to that!!
And next week, hopefully I will hear one way or another.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Are you waiting to hear back about an interview? Good luck!

A fox news gift shop? Wow.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
innerkitten|1409350822|3741709 said:
Are you waiting to hear back about an interview? Good luck!

A fox news gift shop? Wow.
Yes I am hoping for an offer with a company I've been interviewing with. Thank you for the luck!

As for the Fox News Store. Yeah. I agree. WOW. There were people in it too!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder what they sell at that store. Anyway, Good luck Gypsy with the job!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed for you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sky, I took a picture, but it is super blurry. I didn't go it, for fear I'd burst into flames. Thank you for the luck!
Thank you Packrat at as well!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No news yet. Getting anxious. Can I get good news dust???

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
dusty dusty dust! They'd be stupid not to snag you Gypsy.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good news dust to you Gypsy. I hope everything works out the way you want it to and that you are ultimately happy whatever happens. My DH grew up in Houston and one of his brothers and his family still live there. Houston is all about money. You mentioned how dressed up the employees were at the place you interviewed. I've always said that Houstonians dress up just to go to the mailbox. LOL. What you wear and what you drive are important if you work for a company that represents people with money. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law work with very wealthy clients and they need to wear and drive the accoutrements of wealth. When I asked why they do this when they don't really like to, both responded that their clients need to know that they are being represented by successful people who can help them manage their money and make more so the symbols of wealth are important. You'll have to get used to that mindset if you live there even if it's not required of you personally. It's a whole different ball game down there.

And I have to admit my first thought on hearing your news was, ohhhh she'll be close to WF and BGD. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending lots more dust Gypsy! And happy birthday!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending lots more dust Gypsy! Hopefully you'll get some news by the end of the week.. My husband said tonight that there were a lot of people taking vacation today at the office he works for and I know many people took time off this week when I was working. Try not to stress. I know it's close to impossible when your waiting for news regarding a new job.

DUST! DUST! DUST!

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results